Re: The Stuff.co.nz Thread

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 29/May/16 7:10pm

neels wrote:http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/80420381/push-to-make-queen-charlotte-track-more-bikefriendly-considered-by-marlborough-district-council

Seriously? Not everything that is open to mountainbikes needs to be a manicured gently graded track that your nana can ride. If you have to get off and walk, get off and walk, and either live with it or improve yourself and come back for another go.

Not everything should be dumbed down in the name of maximising tourist dollars.

Oh, FFS.
QC is not a hard track. The dumbing down of everything is one of my least favourite parts of cycling becoming popular. It's a mountain bike, for use on lumpy terrain, it's much more capable than the early '90s rigid canti braked machine which made it fine the one time I rode there.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Fraser on Wed 1/Jun/16 10:44pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
neels wrote:http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/80420381/push-to-make-queen-charlotte-track-more-bikefriendly-considered-by-marlborough-district-council

Seriously? Not everything that is open to mountainbikes needs to be a manicured gently graded track that your nana can ride. If you have to get off and walk, get off and walk, and either live with it or improve yourself and come back for another go.

Oh, FFS.
QC is not a hard track. The dumbing down of everything is one of my least favourite parts of cycling becoming popular. It's a mountain bike, for use on lumpy terrain, it's much more capable than the early '90s rigid canti braked machine which made it fine the one time I rode there.

See I am totally the opposite of your viewpoint. The smoother the better. To be honest I would rather there be a 3 metre wide path that isn't specific to one niche aspect of a sport within a sport.
I want it smooth and a gradient so mild that anyone could use it. I want it so mild that your Nana would ride it, your Mama could ride and it and you as a young white male aged 16-35 who is already into MTBing could push a pram on it. Why? Because there are plenty of challenges off piste, Hell ride as the crow flies if things are that easy?
The idea that you need to keep a track overly shitty to keep punters off it is short sighted and counter intuitive to making something that everyone will enjoy. Much like why people don't drink at RSA's anymore as they segregated themselves from others.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby philstar on Wed 1/Jun/16 11:06pm

Fraser wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:
Neels wrote:

Oh, FFS.

See I am totally the opposite of your viewpoint. The smoother the better. To be honest I would rather there be a 3 metre wide path that isn't specific to one niche aspect of a sport within a sport.
I want it smooth and a gradient so mild that anyone could use it. I want it so mild that your Nana would ride it, your Mama could ride and it and you as a young white male aged 16-35 who is already into MTBing could push a pram on it. Why? Because there are plenty of challenges off piste, Hell ride as the crow flies if things are that easy?
The idea that you need to keep a track overly shitty to keep punters off it is short sighted and counter intuitive to making something that everyone will enjoy.

something that everyone will enjoy, is the key. and making it more accessible to some people will make it less enjoyable to others. QC needs to at least provide the illusion of getting out of civilization for it to be enjoyable for most people. and in reality most people will enjoy it mor if they find some of it challenging (even if they say the opposite).
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Fraser on Thu 2/Jun/16 6:46am

So while I can appreciate your bemoaning of a track becoming dumbed down. I think the context of the track in question and what it is used for and who uses it should be understood. It isn't a BMX track, it isn't a Pump track or UCI DH course and it has always been by its very nature of being a "Walkway" around the bays that has over time become more popular to ride.
The whole point of the Queen Charlotte Walkway is that it was accessible, it is right in the middle of a very beautiful part of the country, you can even take a water shuttle and they drop off the bulk of your gear at the bays further on :love: what is wrong with that?
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 2/Jun/16 7:23am

Fair point on the QC, my gripe is more generalised.
I'm unlikely to go back to the QC for fear of death by boredom. I was tempted by the Heaphy, however, until I started to hear about it getting paved too.
This is probably a reasonable move by DOC, considering it's a great walk, but it goes to the point about challenge and fun. Smooth tracks bore me (and many other folks with actual mountain bikes).
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Thu 2/Jun/16 2:26pm

Fraser wrote:So while I can appreciate your bemoaning of a track becoming dumbed down. I think the context of the track in question and what it is used for and who uses it should be understood. It isn't a BMX track, it isn't a Pump track or UCI DH course and it has always been by its very nature of being a "Walkway" around the bays that has over time become more popular to ride.
The whole point of the Queen Charlotte Walkway is that it was accessible, it is right in the middle of a very beautiful part of the country, you can even take a water shuttle and they drop off the bulk of your gear at the bays further on :love: what is wrong with that?

my point is that it is an accessible piece of "wilderness", if you make it too accessible it becomes less wilderness and therefore loses its appeal. The fact that it is a walkway that people cycle should also be taken into account, make it more accessible to walkers maybe, but don't make it more accessible to cyclist at the expense of the walkers enjoyment.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Barbsarama on Tue 14/Jun/16 9:48am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/ne ... illor-says

How would you swerve into a parked car to avoid a cyclist? That actually just does not make sense.
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Rik on Tue 14/Jun/16 10:43am

Barbsarama wrote:http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/81028662/cycleway-smash-shows-death-likely-until-island-bay-project-changed-councillor-says

How would you swerve into a parked car to avoid a cyclist? That actually just does not make sense.

The headline really needed to read 'A car hits another car' but that wouldn't sell much copy would it?

Loved the comment from the lady interviewed who shunned the cycleway layout as being dangerous for 'all road users' then listed all bizarre groups of users that don't use the road.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Spagllegs on Tue 14/Jun/16 10:49am

I was trying to figure it out too but don't know the road. By the damage of van and car it looks more like drifting left while texting and clipping car. Then " oops better blame a cyclist! ". Strange coz delivery drivers/couriers are awesome drivers. Ahem.
Spagllegs
Member for: 2 years 10 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 14/Jun/16 11:21am

It's because the car didn't have its hi-vis vest on.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Tue 14/Jun/16 11:32am

The video also appears to show: at 34s, a car parked in the cycleway, at 40s a driver performing a bizarre turning manoeuvre that seems to have originated on the cycle lane (from his angle, or he's come out of a driveway in a very odd way) while a man crosses the cycleway without looking for cyclist and jay walks out from between two parked cars, and lots of cones that seem to be causing issues for drivers. Not many dangerous cyclists though. Also the cycleway ruined Christmas!
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Barbsarama on Tue 14/Jun/16 11:33am

Pretty shit police work if they believe that crap that's for sure. I bet they didn't even breath test him. No witnesses even saw a cyclist. Pure bullshit.
Barbsarama

Postby Klarkash-ton on Tue 14/Jun/16 11:47am

oh yeah, the photo caption states "Witnesses said the truck smashed a car after avoiding a cyclist on the Island Bay cycleway on Monday night", but the article only cites people who turned up later, and the driver said the cyclist was "in the road" not the cycleway...
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Barbsarama on Tue 14/Jun/16 1:38pm

Yup - I call bull shit. The guy made a mistake and is blaming it on a fictional cyclist because we are all apparently to blame for their shit driving.
Barbsarama

Postby jo on Tue 14/Jun/16 1:39pm

Even if there was a non-fictional cyclist, the driving is still sh*t as they have failed to overtake safely.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Sifting - Latest Posts