Re: The Smartest Person In New Zealand

Postby Mickyfinn on Tue 8/Nov/11 10:04pm

I see the most sophisticated langauge exist in central africa.. where clicks form the upper level of the spoken language....
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 9/Nov/11 1:08am

Mickyfinn wrote:what do you think it means in reality.... I can tell you it means nothing.. each sentence is taken on the merits of each offender standing in front of the court end of..

It looks clear to me that the judges discretion is greatly limited, according to the overview and the act itself:
http://www.justice.govt.nz/courts/district-court/sentencing-and-parole-reform-act-2010http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2010/0033/latest/DLM1845322.html

Here is how I read the judge's discretion:

Stage 1: Any 7-year max offense must get a strike, (this applies at any stage).
Stage 2: Must deny parole for all offences. The only exception is for murder, if the judge explains why it would be "manifestly unjust" to deny parole during the mandatory life sentence.
Stage 3: Must impose the maximum term. Must deny parole unless they explain why it would be "manifestly unjust" to deny it.

The disaster in the USA is because the judges get far less discretion and the crimes eligible for strikes are less serious.

In the USA a path to life in jail could be:
1: Insurance claim for racing damage described as "just riding around"
2: Aggravated thumping of car roof at lights.
3: Persistent wearing of faded 90's fuschia and turquoise riding gear despite repeated pleas from competent womenfolk to cease and desist. :alien:
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 9/Nov/11 1:50am

cruiser wrote:lol. ye would get on well with my sister*

*has a masters in linguistics.

W00t! I might be eligible to kiss the hem of her dress, having done Stage 1.

It's good people still study this sort of stuff. Seems like the National barbarians want to stop everybody except the rich from learning stuff that accountants can't understand the point of.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby cruiser on Wed 9/Nov/11 7:52am

znomit wrote:

Is she cunning?

no she is bi
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 9/Nov/11 12:51pm

cruiser wrote:
znomit wrote:

Is she cunning?

no she is bi

:lol:
Simonius_Titius

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 9/Nov/11 12:56pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:

W00t! I might be eligible to kiss the hem of her dress, having only done Stage 1.

It's good people still study this sort of stuff. Seems like the National barbarians want to stop everybody except the children of the rich from learning stuff that accountants can't understand the point of.
Simonius_Titius

Sifting | Television - Latest Posts