Re: The Smartest Person In New Zealand

Postby dented on Sat 5/Nov/11 4:26pm

:satan:
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 5/Nov/11 7:57pm

slidecontrol wrote:mensa is active once a month at my house :hmmm:

So the ACT party should hold its meetings on full moons to atttract folks seeking calm rational conversation. :p
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Tue 8/Nov/11 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 6/Nov/11 7:16pm

I'd like to start the anti shrill party
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 6/Nov/11 7:31pm

David Garrett.... Probably not NZ's smartest man.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/5 ... ing-charge
By my count this is at least his 3rd strike. Does that mean that his own dumb law will let us lock him up forever? :D
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sun 6/Nov/11 8:05pm

Sadly not. I count zero convictions in NZ and one in the tubes.

Speeding convictions don't count as strikes , I don't know whether drunk driving is under the same exemption.
The precise wording of the legislation is "conviction for three offenses of a nature highly unlikely to be detected and prosecuted successfully three times if the offender is a member of the ruling classes"
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 6/Nov/11 8:39pm

don't know what planet you came from but three strikes is real political retoric.... and does not apply to criminal law
Mickyfinn

Postby happybaboon on Sun 6/Nov/11 8:42pm

I come from the planet Earth. A strange and far away world where we spell the word rhetoric correctly.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 6/Nov/11 8:46pm

ah I did wonder
Mickyfinn

Postby Mickyfinn on Sun 6/Nov/11 8:47pm

One day it will be spelt the way it sounds
Mickyfinn

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 7/Nov/11 5:40pm

Mickyfinn wrote:One day it will be spelt the way it sounds

Interesting thought.

Since the invention of the printing press and dictionary pretty much froze spelling there have been many spelling reform movements seeking to align spelling with pronunciation. Very few of them succeeded in affecting spelling, though I imagine the debates were beneficial in helping people develop a better understanding of what language is and how it works.
The US did some minor tidying but stuff like colour -> color is about as far as they got. Australia's govt made some changes but they didn't stick. Oz briefly had a Ministry of Helth in the 1970s. :)

You will not notice any significant spelling changes in this NZ book published in 1863, readable online here for the illibraryate:
Old New Zealand: being Incidents of Native Customs and Character in the Old Times, by FE Manning
(This is is a ripping yarn by a European trader who lived with Maori back in the very early days).

"rhetoric" is part of a group of related rhe- words. They are of Greek origin and go back to the beginnings of western civilisation. For various reasons it is impossible to change the spelling of the whole group.

BTW we have/had a Christian radio station in Chch called Radio Rhema which spreads "the word", I didn't realise the meaning of the name until now.
Simonius_Titius

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 7/Nov/11 5:57pm

Mickyfinn wrote:don't know what planet you came from but three strikes is real political retoric.... and does not apply to criminal law

Yes it does, since 2010. Maybe we don't call ours "three strikes" because our version avoids some of the madness of the US three strikes law. Sorry my memory of the criteria was a little loose earlier, below is quoted from:
http://www.justice.govt.nz/courts/district-court/sentencing-and-parole-reform-act-2010
The Sentencing and Parole Reform Act 2010 came into force on the 1st of June 2010.
The legislation creates a three stage regime of increasing consequences for repeat serious violent offenders.
There are 40 qualifying offences comprising all major violent and sexual offences with a maximum penalty of seven years imprisonment or more.
Simonius_Titius

Postby Mickyfinn on Tue 8/Nov/11 9:37pm

what do you think it means in reality.... I can tell you it means nothing.. each sentence is taken on the merits of each offender standing it front of the court end of..
Mickyfinn

Postby cruiser on Tue 8/Nov/11 9:53pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:
Mickyfinn wrote:One day it will be spelt the way it sounds

Interesting thought.

Since the invention of the printing press and dictionary pretty much froze spelling there have been many spelling reform movements seeking to align spelling with pronunciation. Very few of them succeeded in affecting spelling, though I imagine the debates were beneficial in helping people develop a better understanding of what language is and how it works.
The US did some minor tidying but stuff like colour -> color is about as far as they got. Australia's govt made some changes but they didn't stick. Oz briefly had a Ministry of Helth in the 1970s. :)

You will not notice any significant spelling changes in this NZ book published in 1863, readable online here for the illibraryate:
Old New Zealand: being Incidents of Native Customs and Character in the Old Times, by FE Manning
(This is is a ripping yarn by a European trader who lived with Maori back in the very early days).

"rhetoric" is part of a group of related rhe- words. They are of Greek origin and go back to the beginnings of western civilisation. For various reasons it is impossible to change the spelling of the whole group.

BTW we have/had a Christian radio station in Chch called Radio Rhema which spreads "the word", I didn't realise the meaning of the name until now.

lol. ye would get on well with my sister*

*has a masters in linguistics.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby BikeKiller on Tue 8/Nov/11 9:54pm

Mickyfinn wrote:dribble dribble dribble

Hey look - Mickeyfinn and The smartest person in New Zealand appear in the same sentence
BikeKiller
"Hurro"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Tue 8/Nov/11 9:58pm

cruiser wrote:lol. ye would get on well with my sister*

*has a masters in linguistics.

Is she cunning?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Sifting | Television - Latest Posts