The Single Speed Thread - Show Us Your Bike

Postby PhilterNZ on Wed 23/Mar/05 6:57pm

Yeah yeah I know there have been a few threads with SS stuff in them, but I thought it was time for a dedicated thread for photies, discussions and peoples experience...

I have just completed converting my geared bike to a SS. The total cost so far has been 60c for 4 washers for the front chainring bolts as they were a it too long. I got the spacers for the hub from my LBS, (thanks Bike Barn New Lynn) the rear cog is from an old chainring and the rest is off the bike. I have gone with 32-16 as it mean't I didn't have to buy a new chainring, plus I had no idea what SSing would be like, so I didnt want to spend too much. At the moment I am using the rear der. as a chain tensioner but I have bought a cheap Da Bomb tensioner from Trademe which should arrive in the next week. All up it took me and a mate (thanks Darin) with all the tools about 1 and half hours to convert.

I did quite a bit of research on the net before I started and the best article I found was this one at SingleSpeedOutlaw.com http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/issue1/features.shtml
well it worked for me, they also had this cool shot of a SS Lahar here http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/issue4/centerfold.shtml

Here is a couple of shots of the completed SS, I hope to test ride in the forest on Friday.
Cindercone.JPG
The Bike
ghettowashers.JPG
The total expense - 4 washers, that I ground down to fit.
rear chaninring.JPG
Last edited by PhilterNZ on Sun 15/Oct/06 10:14am, edited 2 times in total.
PhilterNZ
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby XCrider on Wed 23/Mar/05 7:02pm

thats looking good i want to do the same to my xc bike but then i would need to by a new geared bike :(

60 cents is pretty dam cheap to convert it :thumbsup:
XCrider
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby fraserb on Wed 23/Mar/05 7:06pm

looks good phil.
mine again. its just in bits at the moment as its having a gear removal operation again. back to a one speed handjob.
bike.jpg
there is really a seat on there.
fraserb
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby RossW on Wed 23/Mar/05 7:17pm

nice dreamy simplicity.how much would it be for a decent steel singlespeed setup?.
RossW
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby fraserb on Wed 23/Mar/05 7:37pm

as philternz said. to convert an exiting bike its bugger all, or a factory SS bike can be picked up new for about $1000
fraserb
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby VERT on Wed 23/Mar/05 7:40pm

my current Single speed and my old singlespeed, not my even older Single speed though cause I can't find an pics of it
stealth1.jpg
My old single speed
dbss.jpg
My current single speed
VERT
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 23/Mar/05 7:42pm

yup an SS can be built for very little, all ya really need is an older XC type bike, take off the gears either a rear derailier or propietary chaintension like raleighs one for about 54.95

I know that mines owes me about $500 just built over time using second hand parts
single.JPG
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 23/Mar/05 7:49pm

hey Philter, the only thing that may not make ya fisrt SS experience a fun one is the lack of chain tension, ya prolly best to take a few links outta ya chain so the derailier just takes the final tension up, ya want ya chian almost as taught as a BMX
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby PhilterNZ on Wed 23/Mar/05 8:19pm

Cheers PBR, I will experiment with dropping a few links out, and I will take the chain breaker with me on the first ride. Hopefully the proper tensioner will be here next week and I can have a good play.

One question I did have was what have people done to prevent the chain from dropping between the BB and crank arms ?
PhilterNZ
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby pissface on Wed 23/Mar/05 8:31pm

PhilterNZ wrote:One question I did have was what have people done to prevent the chain from dropping between the BB and crank arms ?
shorten the damn chain !!! and make sure the chainline is straight

best thing also is to buy a SS specific chainring with deeper teeth and no ramps.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby dragon_style on Wed 23/Mar/05 9:01pm

I found that putting in the bolts that would normally hold the small chainring with some little spacers means that if the chain does drop off the inside it won't get jammed in there.

I also found that the derailleur had to be stretched right out, pretty much in line with the chain to stop the chain from dropping off over rough stuff - since reducing the chain to its absolute minimum length I have had no problems.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby jeremyb on Wed 23/Mar/05 9:06pm

Old pics, now running 42:17 and carbon handle bars, fully rigid styles, it honks, can happily blast along at 35kph on XC tracks with that gearing, 22 lbs stock, probably about the same with the computer and lighter bars on it :thumbsup:

jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby jeremyb on Wed 23/Mar/05 9:10pm

Only pic I could find of my old bike, 37lbs of thrasher goodness, minus a few of the bling bits I had on it after this, but you get the idea...
dmr2.jpg
jeremyb

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 23/Mar/05 9:53pm

there's some nice rides out there

what gearing is everyone running?

use mine for XC using 32/15 ratio
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby jeremyb on Wed 23/Mar/05 10:22pm

42:17 rocks my world, I spun out the stock 34:17 way too quickly, climbs hills ok out of the saddle, serious hills I'd probably run it at 34:17 tho', I can pull a section of chain out and use the other ring if necessary, sram chain with two powerlinks, mint setup with the double rings up front :)
jeremyb

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Post Your Bike | Singlespeed - Latest Posts