The New Rapaki

Postby Frog_Sticks on Fri 27/Feb/09 11:55am

Sorry if this is alrady been posted but...

What does everyone think of the 'new' Rapaki track?

Why is the Council spending so much $$$ on upgrading the track to something my two wheeled trike could get up?

Will it just wash away in just a few months as the rain comes down and much of the gravel is rounded rock?

Or will it be a solid trail for all to enjoy except for bikers as they will get banned cause most people will ride down the smooth trail far to fast for the traffic?
Frog_Sticks
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Re: The New Rapaki

Postby Trail on Fri 27/Feb/09 12:07pm

I agree. It seems like a waste of money to me. I give it 2 winters to get right back to what it was like before they started.

Maybe it is somewhere for the boy ricers to go?? You could get one of their lowered "car enthusiast" type cars up there at the moment!!

Maybe this is just part of a job creation scheme to keep the economy going!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby grahamt on Fri 27/Feb/09 12:14pm

I've always wondered why people ride down Rapaki anyway, when there's so many better options.
grahamt
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby inzane on Fri 27/Feb/09 12:18pm

grahamt wrote:I've always wondered why people ride down Rapaki anyway, when there's so many better options.

Because not everyone has the mad skills to enjoy the better options. :eh:

Those people should probably go along to one of these ;) chch-phundamentals-mtb-skills-clinics-this-weekend-t93282.html
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Frog_Sticks on Fri 27/Feb/09 12:23pm

grahamt wrote:I've always wondered why people ride down Rapaki anyway, when there's so many better options.

If its wet it can be a valid decent option.
Frog_Sticks

Postby handy-andy on Fri 27/Feb/09 12:57pm

Trail wrote:I give it 2 winters to get right back to what it was like before they started.

Bingo. That's why they do it. Periodic maintenance ensures the trails don't deteriorate to the point where they become impassible. If you don't like it, just wait until Autumn.
handy-andy
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby danose on Fri 27/Feb/09 1:00pm

Trail wrote:I agree. It seems like a waste of money to me. I give it 2 winters to get right back to what it was like before they started.

I agree - they did much the same a few winters ago (2006/2007 - after it got all munted out and fun over winter), it's a no win situation. If they just left it alone (like worsleys) it'd reach it's own equilibrium (and be a lot more fun)

As I understand it it's maintained by the roading section of the CCC (since it's not a walking track) - if they just gave all the money they've just wasted 'improving' rapaki to Nick for track building think how much could have been done! :(

then again - the CCC has a rep for wasting ratepayers money on things no-one wants - look at the square and the cashel st upgrade :angry:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby danose on Fri 27/Feb/09 1:04pm

handy-andy wrote:Bingo. That's why they do it. Periodic maintenance ensures the trails don't deteriorate to the point where they become impassible. If you don't like it, just wait until Autumn.

impassable to whom? wheelchairs? mum's pushing prams? maintenance is one thing, but what they've done is ridiculous both in terms of cost, and due to the fact it was actually in good nick beforehand

how long now before the ccc starts getting complaints from walkers about the speed the mtbers are doing down it - before it's state inherrently limited speed.

bottom line - another example of ccc beaureaucratic stupidness - if the roading budget had so much left in it why not go fix up some of the actual ROAD (which are infested with potholes after the heavy rain last winter)
danose

Postby handy-andy on Fri 27/Feb/09 1:42pm

danose wrote:impassable to whom? wheelchairs? mum's pushing prams?

Well, actually, yes. I have seen Mums pushing prams up Rapaki. How hard core would you need it to be before you stopped moaning about it? Even when Rapaki is in its worst state of repair it's hardly worth planning your ride so you can bomb down it, scattering little old ladies as you go.

It makes sense to have a well maintained all weather offroad route to the top of the Port Hills, and Rapaki, with it's gentle gradient, is the logical choice. Now stop stirring and get back to work.
handy-andy
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby crazychris on Fri 27/Feb/09 1:49pm

What bit have they 'repaired' ?? the bottom section?
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Trail on Fri 27/Feb/09 2:24pm

crazychris wrote:What bit have they 'repaired' ?? the bottom section?

Yep, they are about half way up, and it looks to me like they might be going to "repair" right the way to the top.

Just another reason the council should give me permission to build the long single track that could be used to climb to the top of the hill :) I got bored enough going up Rapaki when it had the interesting rocks etc sticking out.

By the way... anyone who wants to set their own timed record for Rapaki should wait a couple of weeks until they finish the repairs... then it will be in super hard and fast condition!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby danose on Fri 27/Feb/09 2:50pm

Trail wrote:
crazychris wrote:What bit have they 'repaired' ?? the bottom section?

Yep, they are about half way up, and it looks to me like they might be going to "repair" right the way to the top.

yep - wednesday night they were just starting the 'level' section before the final climb .... so it's clear it's the whole thing top to bottom that's going to be smooth as

maybe they should just go the whole hog and seal it, cos then at least it'd another climb for the port hills leaderboard :satan:
danose

Postby grahamt on Fri 27/Feb/09 2:54pm

At least we can still jump off the rocks on the left side on the way up
grahamt
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby crazychris on Fri 27/Feb/09 3:32pm

it's still a bloody hill tho innit!!! damn hills.

How sad, the first section to the gate where it goes flat and down a bit was always the most interesting, way better than the gravel road section up the last stretch. Based on the speeds I have been down that track at so far, if they smooth it out some more it'll be ultra fast and deadly to walkers and their dogs. Not really a MTB track tho...

What surface is it? gravel or that hard-packed brown stuff, or are they just levelling it out.

I must get back there and see if I'm fit enough to get all the way tothe top yet, have ridden it many times in the past, but never in one go. I'm not much fond up the uphill part of hills. Was fun on the tandem (crikey - fast!) but maybe we'll stick to kennedys instead...
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Frog_Sticks on Fri 27/Feb/09 3:42pm

crazychris wrote:What surface is it? gravel or that hard-packed brown stuff, or are they just levelling it out.

Its gravel. Classic roading gravel top to bottom, left to right, smooth like any main non-sealed road in Aoteroa.
Frog_Sticks

Canterbury | Christchurch | Conditions | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Port Hills | Public Notices | Regions | Trail Conditions - Latest Posts