Re: The New Rapaki

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 9/Mar/09 7:31pm

so next time there is a tail wind on Rapaki there should be a host of speed posts up the next day :sly: but the gauntlett has been thrown down now, i shall no doubt find myself at the top one day this week.............
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Mon 9/Mar/09 8:52pm

Last computer I had on my bike was a few years back now. Max speed was 100.3 kph traveling between 2 mine fields in no mans land between Bolivia and Chile hoping that the Llamas were not going to decide to wander across the road :crazy:

I no longer have the urge to hurtle at a million miles an hour down dirt roads and would rather ride down the fun stuff over in Vic park... So I will leave you lot to your speed contest.

Now I know that cycle computers can be rigged, but I think a photo of max speed readout from your computer posted here would be a good way of keeping record ;)
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby crazychris on Mon 9/Mar/09 9:19pm

Trail wrote:Last computer I had on my bike was a few years back now. Max speed was 100.3 kph traveling between 2 mine fields in no mans land between Bolivia and Chile hoping that the Llamas were not going to decide to wander across the road :crazy:

I no longer have the urge to hurtle at a million miles an hour down dirt roads and would rather ride down the fun stuff over in Vic park... So I will leave you lot to your speed contest.

Now I know that cycle computers can be rigged, but I think a photo of max speed readout from your computer posted here would be a good way of keeping record ;)

hehe, I got a top speed of over 150kph on my computer one day, I think it might have been a bit out tho as I don't think I even clocked over 100!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 9/Mar/09 9:23pm

Trail wrote:Last computer I had on my bike was a few years back now. Max speed was 100.3 kph traveling between 2 mine fields in no mans land between Bolivia and Chile hoping that the Llamas were not going to decide to wander across the road :crazy:

Cough,bulshit,cough
RHR_Rob

Postby Trail on Mon 9/Mar/09 9:33pm

RHR_Rob wrote:

Cough,bulshit,cough

I have a mate to back my story up... he was pissed off tho... he only got to 99.7 :lol:

Was on a smooth sealed road, with a decent tail wind and downhill with a long straight stretch. Altitude of about 4600m. Air is getting pretty thin by 4600... and it is mostly air that is slowing you down when you try and go fast down a hill ;)

Was on a mtbike with full knobbies. Would be interesting to see how fast a nice road bike would have got to down there!
Trail

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 9/Mar/09 9:46pm

Trail wrote:
RHR_Rob wrote:

Cough,bulshit,cough

I have a mate to back my story up... he was pissed off tho... he only got to 99.7 :lol:

Was on a smooth sealed road, with a decent tail wind and downhill with a long straight stretch. Altitude of about 4600m. Air is getting pretty thin by 4600... and it is mostly air that is slowing you down when you try and go fast down a hill ;)

Was on a mtbike with full knobbies. Would be interesting to see how fast a nice road bike would have got to down there!

Ok will believe you this time - doesent realy count on tar seal though :sneaky:
RHR_Rob

Postby Trail on Mon 9/Mar/09 10:08pm

no, i know. I think 89k was the fastest I ever saw back when I used to run a speedo on my bike. Would have been back in about 92 or 93, riding down a shingle road on a fully rigid Milazo Rock Comp 2 (full shimano deore dx components I will have you know, including the cantilever brakes :lol: )

There was one time that I got a reading of 352 kph on a speedo. I was barreling down a hill, glancing down at the speedo to see what speed I could get to... saw it doing

54 kph
57 kph
63 kph
177 kph :crazy: WTF??
352 kph :blink:

I know I was maxed out at just over 60 kph but the boys had a good laugh when I showed them the max speed at the bottom of the hill. There was a loose wire along the speedo cable which must have been giving strange signals!!
Trail

Postby Frog_Sticks on Tue 24/Mar/09 8:54am

Hows that mud then ?!?
Frog_Sticks
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 24/Mar/09 9:02am

Trail wrote:no, i know. I think 89k was the fastest I ever saw back when I used to run a speedo on my bike. Would have been back in about 92 or 93, riding down a shingle road on a fully rigid Milazo Rock Comp 2 (full shimano deore dx components I will have you know, including the cantilever brakes :lol: )

There was one time that I got a reading of 352 kph on a speedo. I was barreling down a hill, glancing down at the speedo to see what speed I could get to... saw it doing

54 kph
57 kph
63 kph
177 kph :crazy: WTF??
352 kph :blink:

I know I was maxed out at just over 60 kph but the boys had a good laugh when I showed them the max speed at the bottom of the hill. There was a loose wire along the speedo cable which must have been giving strange signals!!

What sort of speedo was that? Me and Andre were testing speedos last year (involving a cordless drill, three-way allen key and three magnets...) and the highest speed we got was 300ks on a Sigma one
JohnnyC
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 24/Mar/09 9:17am

Frog_Sticks wrote:Hows that mud then ?!?

Rapaki Mud? Whereabouts?
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Trail on Tue 24/Mar/09 9:30am

one with a broken wire. Must have been shorting the signal and giving strange answers... This was about 15 years!!
Trail

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 24/Mar/09 9:58am

66kmh the other night on the top bit, bit of a head wind and wasent spinning out in top gear but it felt fast enough! with no wind 70 should be easy.
RHR_Rob

Postby rag_doll on Tue 24/Mar/09 8:19pm

any pics of the new track haven't been up there in a while?
rag_doll
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 25/Mar/09 12:11am

Picture a plain smoothish 4wd track.
On a hill.

Even I made it up there with stopping!
:exclaim:
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby mfw on Mon 6/Apr/09 12:42pm

While getting over sickness yesterday I found myself joining the Alivio brigade and going up the easy way for a change (rapaki) - and so got to check out the 'improvements' for the first time.
Well for climbing I can't say it bothers me the fact that they have smoothed it out, because it has changed from an easy non-technical climb to an, er, easy non-technical climb :rolleyes:
The decent was much more fun that anticipated - a high speed largely brake free affair without needing balls of steel! :thumbsup:

Also noticed of interest, up at the top the Mt vernon single track has been built up so it forms a 'ridge', is this for drainage reasons to prevent ruts?
mfw
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Conditions | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Port Hills | Public Notices | Regions | Trail Conditions - Latest Posts