Re: The New Forester Xt - Thoughts?

Postby Dougal on Thu 28/Apr/16 9:18pm

Farm wrote:
Dougal wrote:The XV CVT was the worst car I've driven of any built in the last 10 years. I'd be concerned the forester has the same engine, drivetrain and design team.

I've been thinking the XV would be a good car for my partner to replace her aging Impreza.
She insists on a manual gear box (South Dunedin girl) reckon they'd be any better?
Her predilection for manuals makes finding cars a more time consuming process.

I'd recommend a Lada Niva over a Subaru XV.

If you want manual then go european. I seriously rate the Octavia Scout.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Farm on Thu 28/Apr/16 9:30pm

Dougal wrote:
Farm wrote:
Dougal wrote:The XV CVT was the worst car I've driven of any built in the last 10 years. I'd be concerned the forester has the same engine, drivetrain and design team.

I've been thinking the XV would be a good car for my partner to replace her aging Impreza.
She insists on a manual gear box (South Dunedin girl) reckon they'd be any better?
Her predilection for manuals makes finding cars a more time consuming process.

I'd recommend a Lada Niva over a Subaru XV.

If you want manual then go european. I seriously rate the Octavia Scout.

The Skodas are on the list too. The RS might be the version to swing my Subaru driving South Dunedinite.
Farm
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Thu 28/Apr/16 9:47pm

South Dunedinite?

Just hook it all up with a old lowered Holden and a few Woodys rolling around in the back.
Scotty
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby Farm on Thu 28/Apr/16 10:11pm

We have a large bogan vehicle, we now require a small bogan vehicle. ( I would quite like a Holden special).
Farm
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Fri 29/Apr/16 10:02am

I've always had utes (courier/hilux) but when the last one got flogged I needed something quick and got a cheap (10k) Kia Sorento. 2005 done 180. Brilliant. Tugs like hell, quick, big enough and has all the bells. Gets 3 on the roof and 4 on the back piece of weez.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby RJD on Fri 29/Apr/16 10:50am

Had a 99 forester, was good.

checked out a new one 5 years ago, was far more car like but huge and a 10.5m turning circle. twice that of the grand vitara I bought.
RJD
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Fri 29/Apr/16 12:27pm

swtchbckr wrote:But CVT's have apparently improved. The older ones, especially the Nissan ones (think early late 90s early 2000s? Wingroad and Primera) were diabolical. at the time, a 100k kms+ $10K car lining up with an $8K tranmission job...

my friend had a that era primera that shat the CTV, the problem was that the belt broke and it spat hundreds of little bits of metal through the gearbox which which caused the rest to break irreparably.

I do not know if they have just made the belts last a bit longer, or they have put in a safety strap so when the belt fails it does not ruin the rest of the gearbox. most probably the first one.

my mum has a CTV in her honda jazz, I kinda like driving it, put you foot on the floor it read lines till you are up to speed then take you foot of and it cruses at ~2000rpm what ever speed you are doing (within the speed limit that is). never had any problems with speed drifting. had to put it in manual mode to get adequate off the line pick up (for pulling into heavy traffic)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 29/Apr/16 12:30pm

Those CVT Jazz don't seem to be aging well either. I've met two people with them and both have gearbox issues.

But CVT are essentially a dead end. A false branch of the evolutionary tree.

Because when conventional autos got enough gears (6+) they then had a gear suitable for every occasion and the few rpm difference a CVT would make did not compensate for the loss in drive efficiency and terrible longevity.

So now we have 8 and 9 speed autos all the other gearboxes (DCT, CVT etc) are looking pretty sad and lacking.

However. There is nothing on the market that competes for fuel economy with a 6sp manual gearbox. Yes I know some cars in standard fuel economy tests show a slight gain of the auto over manual. But this is because the automatic gearbox has been programmed specificially for that exact test. In real driving the autos all suck more fuel than manual.
Dougal

Postby RJD on Fri 29/Apr/16 2:40pm

Cars/gearboxes are designed to pass the tests as best as possible rather than real world driving, thats why we have 7 spd auto's

You say CVT is history. I say gearboxes are history. BEV's are the future.
RJD

Postby Dougal on Fri 29/Apr/16 2:41pm

RJD wrote:BEV's are the future.

A what?
Dougal

Postby dwgknz on Fri 29/Apr/16 2:59pm

cold bevs are about 2 hours away
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby RJD on Fri 29/Apr/16 3:04pm

Dougal wrote:
RJD wrote:BEV's are the future.

A what?

Last edited by RJD on Fri 29/Apr/16 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJD

Postby RJD on Fri 29/Apr/16 3:06pm

holy shit large image. I cant even see the edit button. :/
RJD

Postby Dougal on Fri 29/Apr/16 3:44pm

A tesla which doesn't yet exist is the future?

Some of us need more than hype and poor reliability.
Dougal

Postby RJD on Fri 29/Apr/16 3:58pm

1/2 million orders so far.. Ok it might not be a tesla on everyone's drive but ICE cars days are numbered. Eventually. Will still take 15-20 years for them to be the majority.
RJD

Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts