Re: North Face Project: North Face And Smokin, Sunday 25 April

Postby sifter on Wed 21/Apr/10 8:01pm

Very cool to see about 10 sets of lights on North Face tonight as I drove home...! :thumbsup:
sifter
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby jo on Wed 21/Apr/10 9:12pm

Oh noes. Bet its all the other girls practicing. :hmmm:
Imma gonna bluff it. *fingerscrossed*
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Robbie on Wed 21/Apr/10 9:16pm

Very cool :thumbsup:

BTW this weekend may be a bit damp, which might give some bits of the trail more grip: and others a lot less!
Robbie
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby its that guy on Wed 21/Apr/10 9:25pm

hey um just an idea but...Um could we make jfk slightly harder than northface/smokin and just tell the less skilled riders to go down the road from Northface to smokin?\
I love north face and smokin but i feel it lacks somthing...We could use this track as that somthing??
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby SlackBoy on Wed 21/Apr/10 9:30pm

its that guy wrote:hey um just an idea but...Um could we make jfk slightly harder than northface/smokin and just tell the less skilled riders to go down the road from Northface to smokin?\
I love north face and smokin but i feel it lacks somthing...We could use this track as that somthing??
if you feel it lacks something, ride ridgeline. Or ride other tracks.
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby its that guy on Wed 21/Apr/10 9:35pm

:hmmm: It needs table tops... There, I said it... :blink:
plus i like northface waaay more than ridge line.
It would be cool to have a small peice of track like the end of jail break up there(Love jailbreak :love: )
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Colin on Wed 21/Apr/10 10:35pm

sifter wrote:Very cool to see about 10 sets of lights on North Face tonight as I drove home...! :thumbsup:

Was fun riding one of those lights down there tonight

jo wrote:Oh noes. Bet its all the other girls practicing. :hmmm:

Nah. Hutt Valley club ride
Colin

Postby jo on Wed 21/Apr/10 11:03pm

Colin wrote:

Phew, maybe we're all gonna bluff it then. :paranoid:
jo
"Windy"

Postby .I. on Wed 21/Apr/10 11:13pm

jo wrote:
Colin wrote:

Phew, maybe we're all gonna bluff it then. :paranoid:

:paranoid: no pun intended!
.I.
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Robbie on Wed 21/Apr/10 11:14pm

its that guy wrote:hey um just an idea but...Um could we make jfk slightly harder than northface/smokin and just tell the less skilled riders to go down the road from Northface to smokin?\

Nope!

With your skill level you will not really be challenged by an intermediate trail unless you go at warp factor ten unfortunately. What is it that NF lacks for you I am wondering ? :eh:

We really do have to design the trail to be as ridable by as many intermediate people as possible, (and to be sustainable, and F U N ) and to be an intermediate way down from the top, which Makara Peak has never had. This is why we had permission to build it, so we cannot tell people to ride elsewhere.

Also, we have the go ahead to build this epic set of trails, so we really should be making them as long as we can, which does mean JFK will probably be flatter.

The main NF trail is two or three times steeper than most trails at Rotorua, for example, at 6.5% average, 10% in the steadily downhill bits.

Smokin is 7.5% in the steadily downhill bits, and JFK may well be flatter again.

:)
Robbie

Postby Robbie on Wed 21/Apr/10 11:46pm

SlackBoy wrote:
if you feel it lacks something, ride ridgeline. Or ride other tracks.

Thats cool. Its That Guy has helped build both North Face and Smokin by the way.. :)
Robbie

Postby siggy on Wed 21/Apr/10 11:58pm

Can I just offer my thanks to all involved in making these trails? They're awesome :)

I'm also excited by the prospect of JFK - very cool. What's the thinking behind that name? Do you need to watch for snipers when descending it?

With Northface->JFK->Smokin', what is the expected tracks down to the carpark? Is it
- last section of Ridgeline Extension,
- Big Tom's Wheelie
- choice of Lazy Fern (easy) or Swigg+Starfish (harder)

If so-- how does RIdgeline/Big Tom's Wheelie compare? Is that part a lot harder than the rest?
siggy
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Robbie on Thu 22/Apr/10 9:54am

:thumbsup:

The name being used for the third part of the North Face project, JFK, simply comes from there being an area that we have been referring to as the grassy knoll. This is an easily spotted reference point: a large patch of grass that the trail would be run though.

Olde buggers will of course know a bit about the American President who was shot, and all the conspiracy theories about a shooter on the grassy knoll. Hence your mention of snipers!

It looks like we will be able to put some huge sweeping bends on that grass, as it has by local standards a very small side slope. It would also be a great place to hang out and enjoy the view, or recharge the batteries because by then as you will have ridden 2.2kms of very busy trail from the summit.

The idea is to make most of the trail flatter than North Face so it can be longer, and more riding is better! This would also provide a change in pace and character from the trails above and below.

We also have about 210m to make near the summit, peeling of Zacs and running roughly level from there, across the small valley below the seat on the summit, to meet the 4wd road opposite where North Face itself starts now.

The total length of the 4 North Face project trails will be very close to 3 kilometres.

At the end you can turn left and head down AMP connector to Allington Road and the Rimu Trail, or turn right and travel the last 120m of Ridgeline Extension where, as you say, there is a choice also.
You could then go up or down the 4wd track, or along Big Tom's, then do Lazy Fern or SWIGG/Starfish, or travel further to Magic Carpet and or the Skills area, or even hop back on Koru and travel up Sally Alley, or crank up the 4wd track to the summit or Missing Link etc.
Adding to all these choices will be the handy fact that all 4 trails in the North Face project will be able to be ridden seperately if you wish :D

Ridgeline is a completely different kind of trail, parts of it are a lot steeper ( both up and down) and very rough and rocky, it is classed as a "difficult" trail however it it much loved by many!

Big Tom's is an intermediate trail that is almost flat and not very wide, as it dodges and weaves through the trees parallel to the road- and it is a great warm up for SWIGG and Lazy Fern. :D
Robbie

Postby fatwombat on Thu 22/Apr/10 10:15am

Have you tried Lower Leaping Lizard lately? Down there and back up Possum, you have a loop you can repeat forever.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Owen on Thu 22/Apr/10 10:37am

We rode it in a group last night too, feels pretty narrow in the dark, it was quite fun. Work is closed on sunday and all pressing uni related stuff is out of the picture, so Ill probly see some of you there for building.
Owen
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | Makara Peak | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Trail Riding | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts