Postby pushbikerider on Sun 16/Sep/07 6:19pm

herbman wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
herbman wrote: my three, i no longer have the wee red slx as it is now living with its new owner in greymouth,

old ones but still out there on the trails, all bikes have done a trip to canada with me. now i can't wait to get home again so i can get them back out on the home trails again

I still miss my old SLX :blush: :( , glad that you are enjoying though :thumbsup:

don't worry its gone to a good home. new bearings for it when i get home and maybe a new coat of paint to, maybe

:thumbsup:

I know she's gone to a good home
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Robbie on Sun 16/Sep/07 7:13pm

It is coming up to the third birthday of my 5.5, so the frame will be re-polished as it was new, and new stickers applied.
Hopefully it should look very spanky indeed :)
Robbie
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Fraser on Mon 17/Sep/07 7:43am

I would post my 97 Uzzi SL but it got knicked 3 years ago...
Fraser
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby Robbie on Mon 17/Sep/07 12:52pm

:(
Robbie
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby sticky99 on Mon 17/Sep/07 1:33pm

Not really mine but the belongs to my girlfriend vanessa. Intense M6 Probably the coolest part of the bike is that it doesnt have a serial number but her name stamped into it. Acutally she has 3 bikes like that.

My favourtie bike was the M3 I built for her for the worlds last year. Man that was a trick bit of gear. Hand made light weight M3 frame. Heaps lighter than production. Different bb from standard. Custom baby blue manitous, we had the saint crank machined, fitted with a carbon fibre MRP, light weight wheels etc. Lightened pedals, hand made pieces all over it. We even got one of steve peats old lightened CNCed front sprockets.That bike till this day is the best pedalling M3 on the planet. Without talking it up to much that was the goal to make that thing pedal like a xc bike cause she had been injured and found pedalling hurt her wrist. It helps cause she is so light that weight can be stripped out of it quite aggressively. When we put it on the scale it was 4 kilos lighter than her M3 she had raced at the world cups and we thought they were light! It is only 2 races old. She wont ever ride it again cause the M6 is here now and that bike is to flash to ride she rekons.
F_DSC0030.jpg
Last edited by sticky99 on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:54pm, edited 2 times in total.
sticky99
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Monolith on Mon 17/Sep/07 2:51pm

pix broke :(
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 17/Sep/07 3:07pm

sticky99 wrote: Not really mine but the belongs to my girlfriend vanessa. Probably the coolest part of the bike is that it doesnt have a serial number but her name stamped into it. Acutally she has 3 bikes like that.

My favourtie bike was the M3 I built for her for the worlds last year. Man that was a trick bit of gear. Hand made light weight M3 frame. Heaps lighter than production. Different bb from standard. Custom baby blue manitous, we had the saint crank machined, fitted with a carbon fibre MRP, light weight wheels etc. Lightened pedals, hand made pieces all over it. We even got one of steve peats old lightened CNCed front sprockets.That bike till this day is the best pedalling M3 on the planet. Without talking it up to much that was the goal to make that thing pedal like a xc bike cause she had been injured and found pedalling hurt her wrist. It helps cause she is so light that weight can be stripped out of it quite aggressively. When we put it on the scale it was 4 kilos lighter than her M3 she had raced at the world cups and we thought they were light! It is only 2 races old. She wont ever ride it again cause the M6 is here now and that bike is to flash to ride she rekons.

I cant see it!!!!!!!

please repost the pic.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby free_rider21 on Mon 17/Sep/07 4:21pm

So how much does it weigh?
free_rider21
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby sticky99 on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:00pm

True Factory M3 and all the info on it!

Ok I went digging and found the pictures of the M3. Here is all the random info I can think of. I have done this in bit of a rush and couldnt be bother to proof read so you will just have to put up with my typing errors!

The first picture is half way through the build. It shows the head set. On this factory M3 the head tube is 1.5 inchs and on the standard M3 it was 7/8ths. Cane Creek supplied a head set with a baby blue plastic spacer. Nice touch! The gear shifter had grip tape on it, cause Vanessa broken wrist (she broke in Vigo eariler that year nad raced worlds with 2 bones still dislocated in it at rotorua worlds) had limited movement and she struggled to change gear. At this stage the indicator is still on top of the gear shifter. This was later removed so the gear shifter could be mounted at a better angle for her. The word "Ride" and the stripes on it are just a bit of motivation!

Pic 2
The bb on this bike was 72mm wide and on a standard M3 it is 90mm. This made all kinds of headaches getting the MRP to fit. The bottom shock linkage has custom made bolts with no heads but circlips so that the MRP would fit. The MRP is carbon fibre and again the chain guide sliders needed modification for the chain angle and small bb. All the machining and real trick stuff you cant see because that is on the back side. We were able to get out over 250 g (off the crank, sprocket, MRP and pedals) on this set up compared to her production M3. That is a lot! On the other side of the bike the crank is off set 5 mm so the pedal will clear the rear end. The rear end of this bike is a hybrid. It is way lighter than a standard M3 and has different geo. We didnt relise how much different it was until the pedal hit the first time we spun the crank!

pic 3
The real deal! Finished bike. Looks pretty standard but that was the way we wanted it. Get up close then you relise how cool it is. The plug holding the crank on the far side was an andised one that read "Vanessa Quin 2004 World champion" The suspension was a revalved TPC cartirdge. The Intrinsic cartrige was more reliable but felt horrible. We came up with a setting for the TPC cartridge that was great, still not perfect but close enough. These are the only set of baby blue travis forks in the world. Well they actually made 3 sets for her but we still have them. We had both 203 and 180mm forks to choose from and actually choose the 180's. A bit lighter and the gave the bike a better steering geomerty. Look how far they are slid throught the clamps. That sucker turned. If the bike was to raked it didnt have enough weight on the front wheel and the front would wash out in the muddy conditions in rotorua. This bike was made to turn through the "Larches" and even though it was steep in there she needed the front end grip more than the slack angle for stability. The rear revox shock had a setting that we developed in january. 140 psi air pressure! Nice and stable for pedaling but also worked well on the bumps. Predicatable was the key to the suspension and riding high in the stroke! Ti springs all around.Cant give away to many other secrets about the suspension but it worked well. Her name was on the hubs. Vanessa on the front wheel and quin on the back wheel. Rims are Mavic. We tried pretty hard to get grey ones. We were suppose to use yellow being sponsored and all but I wouldt allow it. Yellow looks gay! Saint brakes, Dura ace road rear derailer. She is old school about her gears. The derailers had custom tabs on them so they didnt fail as quick. Brakes are american style. front on the left. When dad took it for it maiden ride (Vanesses arm was still in a sling) he grabed what he thought was the back brake. He almost went over the bars! Vanessa is real fussy over her brakes and the type of pads she runs. Man I spent hours getting those things to be just right. Gear cable is to long in this photo!Oh yeah tyres are high rollers, there but she ran 2.25 wetscreams at the worlds. Nothing bigger would fit in the back end!
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg
Last edited by sticky99 on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
sticky99

Postby sticky99 on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:02pm

Weight is still top secret but lets just say less than 36 pounds
Last edited by sticky99 on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
sticky99

Postby NzO on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:03pm

Love the carbon MRP :)
NzO
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Spokes on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:09pm

Hey Sticky99,

Thanks for sharing. Thats a very nice bike.

Do you hang it up on the wall now???
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby NzO on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:09pm

I would :paranoid:
NzO

Postby KoNa_dHer on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:11pm

Man that is one sick rig

weighs over 2 pounds less than my Reign!
KoNa_dHer

Postby NzO on Mon 17/Sep/07 5:14pm

sticky99 wrote: Weight is still top secret but lets just say less than 36 pounds

Yea, that is rather light :blink:
NzO

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Post Your Bike - Latest Posts