Re: The Heaphy In September:

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 30/Aug/12 12:03pm

Domesticles wrote:I'm interesting in riding the Heaphy from the Karamea end on the last weekend of September. I'd be on my own, but for safety reasons I don't want to ride the track solo. Anyone interested in joining me?

I'd be flying into Westport on Thu 27 Sep and would ride up to Karamea. I've ridden the track before, Collingwood to the coast and back. I am experienced in back country survival stuff, and handy in an emergency.

Domesticlesiana

personally for something like the heaphy i would be very happy to do alone especially with the numbers of other riders we saw (2.5 billion)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby mtb_sloth on Fri 31/Aug/12 3:21pm

Colin wrote:http://therongolianstar.com/2012/07/17/flood-destroys-lewis-river-bridge-on-heaphy-track/

Don't let that put you off at all. I went through the next week and the crossing was a matter of slightly above ankle deep water. If you wanted to skip the heaphy swing bridge as well, you could cross the heaphy river in mid thigh depth water.
mtb_sloth
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby tanadog on Mon 3/Sep/12 8:38pm

you just need to keep an eye on the forecast. If it's been raining hard, you might have trouble crossing the Lewis, but anything else will be fine
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby smeagull on Tue 11/Sep/12 12:58pm

Domesticles wrote:I'm interesting in riding the Heaphy from the Karamea end on the last weekend of September. I'd be on my own, but for safety reasons I don't want to ride the track solo. Anyone interested in joining me?

I'd be flying into Westport on Thu 27 Sep and would ride up to Karamea. I've ridden the track before, Collingwood to the coast and back. I am experienced in back country survival stuff, and handy in an emergency.

Domesticlesiana

I've just posted my plan in a separate post if you're interested, we're flying from Karamea to Brown Hut ($150), then riding back over 3 days (casually). We have space for 1.
smeagull
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Nelson Region | New Zealand | Regions | Tramping | Upper South Island - Latest Posts