Re: The Great Race 2011

Postby happybaboon on Mon 10/Oct/11 12:03pm

That interview was like ten minutes after he walked away from an epic hard firebally crash. Gotta cut him a little slack. The guy looked completely dazed in that interview :D
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Spyder on Mon 10/Oct/11 1:37pm

pb wrote:He claimed in an interview that the crew didn't tell him to pump the brakes. Kinda not cool to blame the team for something he should have known to do.

You're only telling half the story. He also admitted that he should have known to do that and admitted that it might have been partially his fault. Agree with Babs that it probably wasn't fair interviewing him so soon after a huge shunt like that. Think he's had a few pretty spectacular ones over his career.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Colin on Mon 10/Oct/11 2:44pm

Been suggestion the radio wasn't working as a contributing factor too
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby ryda on Mon 10/Oct/11 3:27pm

I thought those guys gave the brakes a pump half along straights anyway :hmmm:

never really understood that one...but there's a good reason for it :paranoid:

I call "muppet" :crazy:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby dented on Mon 10/Oct/11 6:45pm

I apportion way more blame on the team than the driver. In a situation like this, the driver is put in the seat to do a job to the best of his ability. To go as fast as he can and bring the car back in one piece. He isnt a full time V8 supercar driver, and the pressure of a situation like that, jumping into a car in the middle of a race with the worlds best peddlers of these machines all around him, he would have had a hundred things to think about, including flicking the switch to turn the green light on in the window to indicate it is the co-driver at the wheel, pit-lane speed limiter button, adjust rear bar to compensate for fuel load, get on the gas as soon as possible, hit every gear change up mountain straight exactly at the right time, assess how much grip its got, get a feel for how the thing might feel different since he last sat in it, etc, etc, least of all to try and remain calm and get to work. There is a reason that you hear every crew-chief remind their best drivers over and over and over again to pump up the pedal. Because it is the sort of thing they never ever have to do, other than in an endurance race (twice per year).
If they neglected to tell him, the fault is at least 90% with the team, if it was a communication system malfunction, then perhaps more fault lies with the driver, but who is to know he was even aware of the communication fault. I would say hard luck on Besnard, but in reality, he was monumentally lucky that the crash occured so close to a very quick-thinking marshall, that actually had ready access to an extinguisher that worked first time. There is a very real possibility that he could have made it even 100 meteres further through the corner, and sat there burning to death.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 10/Oct/11 7:12pm

There'd be more marshalls on the exit of turn 2... and further on/toward the cutting he wouldn't have been doing anything like the speed he was, so less chance of popping the fuel cell like he did. I wonder if the more lucky bit might have been that the fire started way away from the car, giving the marshalls time to react. Must have been a hot ember or a ciggy or something on the side of the track. Unbelieveable that it caught alight down there, instead of on some part of his exhaust or his brake discs! If his car caught alight first then it might have been a different story :huh:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby dented on Mon 10/Oct/11 7:35pm

Could have been part of his exhaust that started the fire way back there :D

Its semantics of course, but the marshalls at the exit of Turn 2 would have been on the other side of the track, and to get to the car they would have had to cross the only part of the track that the other cars would have been driving through, and also the way the wind was blowing, they would have had to pretty much run right around to the other side of the car before they started extinguishing. Well thats my opinion but I could be well wrong.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts