Re: The Death Of Formula One Racing?

Postby Chickenman on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:33pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote: :hmmm: F1 = non essential.

Like all sport, and art for that matter. Should we get rid of all of that too?

:eh: You know I don't even attempt to argue with your LACK of logic, but how about we just get rid of F1 for now.

No.
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:34pm

Fast cars are awesome. Why would anyone want to get rid of them?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:38pm

Chickenman wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

:eh: You know I don't even attempt to argue with your LACK of logic, but how about we just get rid of F1 for now.

No.

OK
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby phunk on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:38pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

For a 'teacher', you are amazingly daft.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:40pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:

Oh no, he said I lacked logic, and in CAPS no less. I'm devastated. :(
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:41pm

happybaboon wrote:Fast cars are awesome. Why would anyone want to get rid of them?

:crazy: Yeah but I live in West Auckland - the only fast cars we have are mixed with Diesel and alcohol - in equal measure.
Diesel on the road and alcohol in the driver/passengers...or is it the other way around...
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:44pm

phunk wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

You didn't need the comma, but (note comma well used) your thoughts are appreciated - not by me of course, I'm just suspecting that someone out there in VORBland appreciates them.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby pedalingkiwi on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:47pm

As a lifelong F1 addict I refuse to feel guilty about the waste and excesses of F1 whilst f**ktards roll around city streets in things like Hummers, Porsche Cayennes and supercharged Range Rovers.

F1 lost it's relevance as a sporting spectacle a long time ago (I :love: the human aspect - I don't really give a toss about 'technology') and for true motor racing spectacle I'd have motoGP anyday.

If F1 does self-destruct it won't be a huge loss. Hopefully some sensibility as to what spectators appreciate will come of the eventual re-incarnation.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby phunk on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:50pm

I refuse to feel guilty about the waste and excess as its not my money.
phunk

Postby phunk on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:51pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
phunk wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

You didn't need the comma, but (note comma well used) your thoughts are appreciated - not by me of course, I'm just suspecting that someone out there in VORBland appreciates them.

Ahh I see. Reasoning and logic not your strongpoint, but grammar and spelling more so.
phunk

Postby Spokes on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:54pm

phunk wrote:I refuse to feel guilty about the waste and excess as its not my money.

I concur. And they should spend more to go faster.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 19/Jun/09 7:57pm

I agree with you totally.
Using/creating such behemoth vehicles for everyday use is idiotic at best. Much more sensible to use fossel fuels for sport than on gas guzzlers.

I also put in an earlier post that F1 was boring.
The last time I saw it (we don't have a TV) was about 6 years ago when I went to visit a friend. During the whole race not one car passed another car.

With motorracing I have a bit of a bias (not that I think much of motorracing in general) as I've raced classic cars and would much rather go to or watch cars that look like cars doing things that 'real' cars do on the road but faster on the track/forest etc.

pedalingkiwi wrote:As a lifelong F1 addict I refuse to feel guilty about the waste and excesses of F1 whilst f**ktards roll around city streets in things like Hummers, Porsche Cayennes and supercharged Range Rovers.

F1 lost it's relevance as a sporting spectacle a long time ago (I :love: the human aspect - I don't really give a toss about 'technology') and for true motor racing spectacle I'd have motoGP anyday.

If F1 does self-destruct it won't be a huge loss. Hopefully some sensibility as to what spectators appreciate will come of the eventual re-incarnation.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby Fraser on Fri 19/Jun/09 10:17pm

Spyder wrote:Plus if you look at the horsepowers that they are extracting from each litre of fuel (specific consumption) there's nothing else like it (MotoGP maybe, but then it's just F1 with a more economical number of wheels) Toyota Pious' included.

Also the flow on effect from this type of top level motorsports is real, even though it might take some time. DSG gearboxes, carbon-ceramic brakes and it's not too hard to see that a KERS type device could be real and available in road cars in the short(ish) timeframe.

Flow on effect my arse, DSG was a Porsche development that was undrivable. VW paid to make it work. Carbon composite brakes are from aircraft. Getting electricity from braking an electric motor, you know that was around before 2006.

When was the last time you bought a Renault because it won F1 so many times? :hmmm:
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby blair993 on Fri 19/Jun/09 10:49pm

what about turbo charged cars? they are a direct flow form f1 and rally!
blair993
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Spyder on Fri 19/Jun/09 11:19pm

Yeah, but things like a DSG wouldn't have made it into the retail domain without having been tried in competition first (even if not particularly successfully). Audi still successfully leverage their rallying heritage through their quattros today, as do Subaru, although with a little less elan. And on that note, wtf was the bug-eyed STI doing with chains on up at Hutt today? 2WD only and it wasn't even that bad.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts