Re: Go The Dads!

Postby oldandlazy on Thu 26th Apr 1:20pm

Conners wrote:
oldandlazy wrote:Has anyone got any opinions on using a trailgator type device to tow a five year old?
Any recommendations on a model to go for?

Try this thread yo
Also - I think Derrick has one.

I also have one now. The boy seems to like it and it’s much easier to balance my bike towing him than it was with him on a rack seat.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Thu 26th Apr 7:07pm

Nice - I might need one too, #1 is capable of riding for ages and #2 is only just getting his pedal on. Would be a good way to get out with them both.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 8th Oct 10:39am

So, child number two is getting the hang of this walking thing, and child number one is a hooligan on the balance bike...
It feels like time to step her up to a 'petal' bike, and hand down the balance bike to young sir.

I'm thinking she might fit a 16" wheel with lowish standover, but weight and general crapness of the ones I see around are a bit of a concern. Anyone got recommendations?
Small bikes in the (welly) shed they're finished with?

The plan so far is to remove the drivetrain completely until she has the hang of the size, maybe introduce brakes before pedalling? Anyone tried that order? Experiences?
Cheers all.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Mon 8th Oct 5:41pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:So, child number two is getting the hang of this walking thing, and child number one is a hooligan on the balance bike...
It feels like time to step her up to a 'petal' bike, and hand down the balance bike to young sir.

I'm thinking she might fit a 16" wheel with lowish standover, but weight and general crapness of the ones I see around are a bit of a concern. Anyone got recommendations?
Small bikes in the (welly) shed they're finished with?

The plan so far is to remove the drivetrain completely until she has the hang of the size, maybe introduce brakes before pedalling? Anyone tried that order? Experiences?
Cheers all.

#1 at that age is colour. If it's the right colour they'll never stop trying to ride it. If it's the wrong colour they'll never start trying to ride it.

Pedal first, brake later.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Mon 8th Oct 6:57pm

Dougal wrote:#1 at that age is colour.

Our kids don’t think so. Here’s our boy (he’s about to turn 4) riding his sisters 12” hand me down. Perhaps he knows about pink being #enduro?

4446FF25-671B-4F5D-BD74-9BA847F5289D.jpeg

And then here is our daughter on her 16” SE Bikes Lil Ripper, full boy styles in chrome. Ok so I put the pink grips on for her, but seriously don’t think it was a game breaker if they had stayed black. Again, another hand-me-down (which was a gift from an uncle who loves his BMXs)

8E7F3790-8A2F-40E0-9CEF-A89E0CE8E513.jpeg

But the actual reason for posting that photo is not about the grip colour, but about the wheel size. 16” is such a versatile size. She started riding that before she was 5, still going strong on it at nearly seven, and I can’t see her outgrowing it before she has the standover height for the 20” Giant MTB that is hanging waiting in the garage (another hand-me-down).

If you can get the 16” to work standover wise I reckon your conversion to a balance bike first could be the go.

I also disagree with Dougal on this one too - if you go that way I would totally introduce brakes before pedals. Kids get kick brakes pretty quick, but hand brakes did take some getting used to to begin with on the 16”
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Dougal on Mon 8th Oct 8:19pm

Clearly neither pink nor chrome are the wrong colours for those kids.
I've seen boys wanting pink bikes, parents refusing, leaving the bike shop with a black/blue bike and a screaming boy.

You know that kick brakes need pedals right? Velocipedestrian was going to remove the pedals. So no kick brakes. You'd be left with a single front hand-brake on most 16" bikes. Which kids don't have the hand strength to use properly.

The two issues I've got.
16" bikes don't handle well. Speed wobbles are a horrifying thing. 20" MTB you can't find any with a tapered head-tube.
Dougal

Postby Conners on Mon 8th Oct 9:10pm

Yeah, I get what he was going to do. Use it as a balance bike, and then add brakes. Then add pedals. Get the braking sorted before you add the speed.

Haven’t had any speed wobbles yet, but probably haven’t been fast enough.

Why do you need a tapered steerer on a kids bike? Surely you have enough straight steerer forks lying around that you can max out the custom tune factor if you need to?
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Dougal on Tue 9th Oct 9:00am

Conners wrote:Yeah, I get what he was going to do. Use it as a balance bike, and then add brakes. Then add pedals. Get the braking sorted before you add the speed.

Haven’t had any speed wobbles yet, but probably haven’t been fast enough.

Why do you need a tapered steerer on a kids bike? Surely you have enough straight steerer forks lying around that you can max out the custom tune factor if you need to?

I've got some projects that would be a whole lot easier with a tapered steerer. We'll see what the next year brings.

Speed wobbles seem to be brought on with front braking downhill. It appears the bmx based geometry of some 16" bikes doesn't handle that well. I'm hoping mtb based versions will be more stable.
Dougal

Postby Conners on Tue 9th Oct 10:12am

Roger Roger.

Rear brakes only on our 16” - which I think is genius. Way less chance of a washout, and less thinking required.

Will be interesting to see how the addition of gears and a front brake go on the 20”
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 9th Oct 8:09pm

Well, she doesn't seem super concerned about the colour of many things yet, but I know where to buy a rattle can if required.

The front brake only could lead to a challenge, I'll be on the lookout for something with v bosses both ends. I'm still liking the brakes before drive idea.

Tapered vs straight isn't even on the radar, I'll be looking for a rigid fork over a pretend suspension unit like many seem to come with. I'm sure the geometry will be dire, but we have to get the basics down before steeps are a problem.

Cheers folks, now who's got the bike for me?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Sifting - Latest Posts