Re: Go The Dads!

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 20/Dec/17 6:23am

Never, EVER, training wheels. She'll 'get' the pedaling. The balance is sorted, she'll never need the trainers. It would be going backwards.
Find a really gentle slope to get her started on. Show her the pedaling and let her rip. We did this with our boys, tho they'd never had the balance bike part, just straight in on the pedals. Boy2 was a whizz on the scooter at 2, and progressed to a bike before he'd even turned 3. Number 1 was 3 when he started on the bike
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby WH on Wed 20/Dec/17 7:20am

The Byk 250 is a cracking bike, No.1 Child loved his, it's currently waiting in the garage for No.2 Child to be big enough (currently on a trike although I need to convert it to two wheels asap as he's getting pretty handy on it).

As above, don't put the stabiliser wheels on, it'll either be a backwards step or will hold up development of proper riding. Find a very gentle slope, ideally one that you could freewheel down without really picking up too much speed, and do a few runs down. Start as a balance bike, i.e. ignore the pedalling action, she can rest her feet on the pedals while she cruises. She can then try a bit of pedalling without having to worry about speed or balance too much.

One thing I did was to run along behind, holding him up by the back of the saddle. He'd pedal along - a bit wobbly at first - and I'd basically keep running but let go of him. Had to keep the hand hovering to catch if necessary at first, more to fool him into thinking that I was still holding on later on. Eventually I'd stop and he'd pedal off without realising. That's when he twigged that he could do it on his own.
WH
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby WH on Wed 20/Dec/17 7:23am

Also, I seem to recall the 250 has a back-pedal brake as well as a rear brake on the bars? When No.1 child was learning to pedal he'd occasionally pedal backwards by accident, which inevitably meant skidding and crashing.

Best to do free-wheeling with feet resting on the pedals first, and learning how to do controlled braking with the back-pedal (using both feet). Forward pedalling is easier when you know what to expect from an accidental back-pedal...
WH
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 20/Dec/17 5:09pm

I'd be introducing the same concept in a new package first, then pedals, then brakes, gears one day...

(disclaimer - my eldest is younger than yours, untested opinion)
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby EoinC on Fri 22/Dec/17 5:27am

+1 on 86'ing the training wheels.
Balance first...
Then pedaling...
Brakes are optional post-grad course
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby philstar on Fri 22/Dec/17 3:16pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:I'd be introducing the same concept in a new package first, then pedals, then brakes, gears one day...

(disclaimer - my eldest is younger than yours, untested opinion)

I thought this was good advice at first (still might be), but then thought a counter point, you would be introducing 2 changes, rather then one it might be better to introduce pedals (on a small slope as suggested, did this with my nephew and it worked a treat) and a new bike in one hit. you could give her the choice
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby matnz on Fri 22/Dec/17 4:29pm

+100 on not using the training wheels. Wish I had known 12 years ago what I know now.

Problem is they change the way kid needs to turn, if they can turn on a balance bike (which is correct) its double the problem, they have to unlearn that, learn on trainers (bad) then have to unlearn the trainers and relearn what they used to know. Had a heap of trouble weaning my kids of trainers, involved a lot an tears and frustration (and the kids were not much better off).

One of the first things I will do when I become supreme ruler is change the law - putting kids on bikes with trainers will be a capital offense (parent, not the kids).

As far as progressions - depends on the child, some respond well to 'deep ending', others are better off with a softly softly approach. Those as old as I am went from walking to riding a oversized bike, no such thing as balance bikes back in my day, and a kids bike was a Chopper or a Releigh 20.... and 45+ years later I still remember the thrill of realizing I was really riding a bike on my own (and the subsequent crash 10 seconds later). Its would be criminal to deprave your child of that experience by talking them though gentle progressions.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 11 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Wed 27/Dec/17 1:41pm

Well she was very very excited about her new bike (complete with custom name vinyl), then immediately took it outside and rode...her old bike :lol:

I couldn't figure out how to easily convert it to a balance bike (looked online etc to no avail). We bought it second and I found an utterly useless owners manual online, so we presented it with pedals etc.
I'm tempted to just take the pedals off so she can get used to it as a semi balance bike, as it's noticeably longer than her current one.

It'll take time, but luckily we live near a school with two very good bike tracks so hopefully she'll get it soon
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 27/Dec/17 3:59pm

Can you pull the BB? Cranks flailing round the ankles might be off putting...
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby ShoreBoy on Fri 29/Dec/17 8:18am

Yeah I might do that thanks, although discussions with the war office last night concluded in a "she can just suck it up and ride it when she's ready" stance
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 29/Dec/17 10:08am

I hope that stance is flexible, my little (34yo) sister isn't ready yet...
Velocipedestrian

Postby oldandlazy on Sunday 6:49pm

Has anyone got any opinions on using a trailgator type device to tow a five year old?
Any recommendations on a model to go for?
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Sifting - Latest Posts