Re: Go The Dads!

Postby ShoreBoy on Wed 1/Jun/16 2:54pm

Cruzzer wrote:Balance bike for his 2nd birthday in Sept.
- recommendations ?

We just bought a Specialized (shudder) Hotwalk for little miss 2. Did a fair bit of research and it seems to us to be the best balance of weight, durability and overall fit.
It's also the only one of the major brands that has an integrated footrest. She seems to be taking a shining to it, although she's a fraction too short to push herself along properly, with the seat at it's lowest setting.
It's tough as hell and has very good bearings.

Also, I finally managed to get her on the DoLittle seat for a proper ride! I've put it on my Blur XC, and we introduced her to it a fair few times without much success, but weekend before last I took her down to the local park and she got on with no fuss, held onto my bars and absolutely loved it! Ended up riding for 1.5 hours, and she complained when we finally stopped. Awesome dad-daughter time while the CEO was studying. Love it!!!
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 27/Jul/17 8:23pm

Bump.

Due to bump coming out and being an extra human! Who knew?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 27/Jul/17 9:17pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Bump.

Due to bump coming out and being an extra human! Who knew?

congrats
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 27/Jul/17 9:44pm

Again?! Sucker for punishment, eh?

My eldest has just turned into a teenager... 13 on Monday. Youngest is a decade in a couple weeks.

Where the hell did those years go??? :0
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby EoinC on Thu 27/Jul/17 11:21pm

Congratulations.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 28/Jul/17 10:02am

Cheers all.
We're hoping they'll be able to distract each other in a year or two, give us a head start to leg it for the hills.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby dwgknz on Fri 28/Jul/17 11:30am

boy or girl this time?

it's about 6 for our lot to truly be able to keep themselves occupied for any meaningful length of time
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 28/Jul/17 3:09pm

Lad this time, lass last.
We are not having 6 kids just so they'll entertain each other.

I'm looking forward to divesting the house gradually of baby stuff, think we'll stick with a disgustingly generic cisHet Nuclear Pākehā family unit of four.
Velocipedestrian

Postby ShoreBoy on Tue 1/Aug/17 8:05pm

Congrats Velocipedestrian!
Man, I just read through all the posts I made on this thread since ShoreBaby was born.
A little emotional TBH, but ShoreBaby is now 3 and a bit and all round kick ass (not so) little girl.

Be interesting to see how she copes with ShoreSibling, due in January ;)
ShoreBoy

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 1/Aug/17 9:21pm

Shot Shoreboy.

Well done waiting the mandated 16 weeks before shouting from the rooftops.
Velocipetite is super keen on Velocipetit, though I hear they get bored of the new houseguest and decide it's time for the baby to leave after a month or so...

Or discover how to use their superior powers to leverage the baby for attention. One of my partners workmates 3yo found walloping the just-fallen-asleep baby was a great way to get the parents to focus on her.
Velocipedestrian

Postby ShoreBoy on Tue 29/Aug/17 8:06pm

Well, guess I must've aimed the other way this time...'tis a wee lad!!
ShoreBoy

Postby nostromo on Tue 29/Aug/17 8:38pm

1 of each? nice!
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 29/Aug/17 8:53pm

Boy protip: watch out for the helicopter wees when changing his nappy.

The hints we liked and used for settling Her into Big Sister mode were.
1) She helps make him a birthday cake for when he arrives.

2) He brings her a present when he comes (in our case an etch-a-sketch, it's tidy, quiet and solo).

3) We talked about Him coming and staying so she wouldn't think he was a temporary visitor.

And the best general tip for preventing jealousy - visitors who come to see the new baby are primed in advance to make a fuss of Her first. Babies can wait, toddlers are less patient.

Good luck.
Velocipedestrian

Postby ShoreBoy on Wed 30/Aug/17 3:18pm

Yeah one if each seems pretty perfect to me and the incubator. Not that we would've been upset if it was a girl but ya know?

Cheers for the tips, that makes alot of sense.
Girl spawn told us she wanted a sister prior to us finding out, but since we told her she reckons she's changed her mind and wants a brother, which is handy.

Not sure she really understands the concept that it's not a choice, but it's largely inconsequential now anyway
ShoreBoy

Postby ShoreBoy on Wed 20/Dec/17 5:48am

Well, Shorebaby #2 is approx 3 weeks away, and we're about as ready as we're going to be.
Girl spawn seems to be excited about it, she's been talking alot about all the things she's going to teach him.

And on the subject of girl spawn, she is 3.5 now and has both become very confident on, and outgrown her balance bike. We've bought her a new one for xmas (BYK E250), which can be in a few different configurations, balance bike, pedal bike, training wheels, adult handle etc.

We're not sure which is the best to present to her as the next step.She's got the balance and turning stuff nailed but obviously never had to pedal. Do we put training wheels on until she gets pedalling sorted, or just leave it as a bigger balance bike for now?
ShoreBoy

Sifting - Latest Posts