Re: Go The Dads!

Postby Datsane on Fri 13/Mar/15 10:35pm

dwgknz wrote:I reckon fathers should get a handicap based on your number of kids and their ages.

Married men should get a smaller one.

How can I compete with dudes who get sleep, have time to train and have disposable income for fancy bikes with fancy drive trains?

I think of it this way for every 1minute they have over you in a race that is about an 1hour training more they have done.
If you add your race time to your training time then do the same for them you come out way on top.
If you can't look at it that way give up on racing if losing makes you sad.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Sat 14/Mar/15 7:13pm

As a rule my competitive racing days (used to do DH) are well behind me, but whenever I do race in whatever event (usually just annual work cycle champs) I just try to finish. As I don't have the time to train for anything really, I've just stopped caring about my results. Much like my motorsport, if I've had fun and everything is in vaguely the right place/shape at the
days end, it's a good day.

On an unrelated note, we're going to brave a flight to the Gold Coast with little miss (10 months) on Tuesday. Should be an experience...
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby nostromo on Sun 15/Mar/15 7:50am

Small piece of advice, if your child has a dummy, take a spare with you on the plane so if something untoward happens such as oh I don't know maybe SNEAKILY SPITTING IT OUT SOMEWHERE AT MELBOURNE AIRPORT then you have a backup to prevent several hours of wailing on the flight :crazy:
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Farm on Sun 15/Mar/15 10:00am

This is probably no great secret either but a spare shirt for yourself as well as additional baby clothes is handy. In case you get yakked up enroute.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 16/Mar/15 10:40am

gristle wrote:Priceless, I'm envious there is no place like Newmarket in wellington

True, but the Karori invasion of Aro Valley on weekend mornings is still pushing it for me... They come down to slum it and drink better coffee / beer.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby catmannz on Mon 16/Mar/15 1:42pm

ShoreBoy wrote:
On an unrelated note, we're going to brave a flight to the Gold Coast with little miss (10 months) on Tuesday. Should be an experience...

It should be a breeze. It's once they're mobile and talkative that travel becomes interesting. My 3 year old daughter expounded very vocally about turbulence and plane crashes just before take off on the last flight she was on. (we hoped like hell there wasn't a nervous flyer in earshot)
catmannz
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 16/Mar/15 2:22pm

If they have a special magic blanket for sleeping then FFS don't lose it on the plane!
Some people cut theirs in half to create a backup, possibly replacing the lower end of each half. The business end still has the correct silky trim and soothing smell or whatever otherwise undetectable but irreplaceable property is required for sleep.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Orphan on Thu 19/Mar/15 11:20am

We bought twin dollies for ours. But now when you see the favourite vs the backup, the favourite is faded, chewed, threads missing, threadbare in places. The other is too pristine. And though she is now 7.... still a favourite.

I wonder how long til Lucy will go the way of Woody in the later Toy Story films. Ha, that said, my childhood Ted is now in her toy box.
Orphan
"I ride bicycles."
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby thelivo on Thu 19/Mar/15 2:45pm

catmannz wrote:
ShoreBoy wrote:

It should be a breeze. It's once they're mobile and talkative that travel becomes interesting. My 3 year old daughter expounded very vocally about turbulence and plane crashes just before take off on the last flight she was on. (we hoped like hell there wasn't a nervous flyer in earshot)

yep - taking my boy back to the UK in May - he'll be 16 months. Am already having sleepless nights over the flight given that its about 36 hours door to door.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby gristle on Thu 19/Mar/15 2:56pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
gristle wrote:Priceless, I'm envious there is no place like Newmarket in wellington

True, but the Karori invasion of Aro Valley on weekend mornings is still pushing it for me... They come down to slum it and drink better coffee / beer.

They are spreading up into Brooklyn as well. Blame the new cafe's/ 'bakeries'.
Mind you, I am going to Karori tonight, followed by a beer at one of the pubs. That'll lower the standard.
gristle
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 19/Mar/15 3:01pm

gristle wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

They are spreading up into Brooklyn as well. Blame the new cafe's/ 'bakeries'.
Mind you, I am going to Karori tonight, followed by a beer at one of the pubs. That'll lower the standard.

Good stuff, give 'em a taste of their own medicine.
Velocipedestrian

Postby gristle on Thu 19/Mar/15 9:12pm

Should have taken kids... One with mega cold, other with the pox.
gristle
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 19/Mar/15 10:47pm

Dude! Missed opportunity!

You could have loudly demonstrated some currently-unfashionable parenting technique all up in their business.
Velocipedestrian

Postby ShoreBoy on Thu 26/Mar/15 6:15pm

Well that went remarkably well!
Both flights were entirely stress/problem free, little miss was happy as a clam and had a 40 min sleep (standard for her) both ways. I have to say too, the Air NZ staff were brilliant, more than helpful and loved her cheeky grins!

The trip itself went well to, although the the time zones did throw her sleep out somewhat, we ended up having 0500-1700 days but that was quite good anyway. She even stayed asleep for us while we went out for dinner and the grandparents babysat for us, which we've never managed to do until then (tried 3x unsuccessfully).

Overall I'd say we learned a lot about the capabilities of our little girl to cope with strange places etc and still be a giggly, cheeky little thing.

I also found it interesting the difference in the way we got treated having a littleun with us. We've had several trips to the Gold Coast (to see the in laws) and for the most part found people to be aggressive, arrogant fuckwits, but this time everyone we met was really friendly and helpful, be they shop/restaurant/cafe staff or just general public.

Is it the baby factor, or just that I'm not an angry 20 something anymore?
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Sat 13/Jun/15 7:58pm

Woot!
Took the trainer wheels off thing twos bike today. Was prepared for a difficult time as last summers try out was cut short by tears and then lots of complaining for weeks, but she was doing it on her own after one guided lap around the yard. Shes been exclusively on the balance bike for the last few months and its really helped.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Sifting - Latest Posts