Diadora
Maxxis
Salsa
Surly
Caldera Cycles
Vorb – I don’t think I need a link do I
Hedgehog Bikes
Cycletime
Insight Engine (Sponsors of the Hoegarden! ☺ and market research experts)
Dole
Hamilton MTB Club

Sponsors are confirmed for the 2009 Champs and what a great list. We’re going to have some awesome prizes including the following:
Diadora X-Trail shoes (awesome looking mtb shoes with plenty of grip)
Maxxis Cycloross Tyres (Mimos seemed to be a good choice for the mud)
Salsa and Surly swag (some of my favorite gear, I have been riding a Cross-Check for a while now and it is easily one of the most versatile and fun bikes I own)
Hoegarden beer (Mmmmm)

A huge thanks has to go out to these sponsors for getting behind this event, especially given the current economic climate. Show them your appreciation by heading down to your local shop and ordering some of their product.

Entry forms should be popping up in stores in the next week or two so keep your eyes peeled. Will have a downloadable entry form loaded on here as soon as it’s ready.

Remember this event isn’t just limited to cross bikes mountain bikes are most welcome too. Last year we even had a few unicyclists give it a crack, and former Ham MTB president Tui Allen tackled the course on a 1940’s delivery bike, to take out the women’s honors.

The course should be completely ridable on a fixie due to its mainly non-technical nature. Mark squeezed some Maxxis Mimos into an Avanti pista frame and rode a few test laps on that with reasonable success.

DSCF0029.jpg
DSCF0022.jpg

2008 cyclo.jpg
DSCF0032.jpg
nzcxentry.pdf
Downloaded 100 times
Last edited by Wyatt on Mon 10/Aug/09 10:28pm, edited 7 times in total.
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: The Nz Cyclocross Champs 2009

Postby Mel on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:00pm

Yesss! :thumbsup:

I enjoyed spectating last year, but am looking forward to participating this year. Sooo much fun (and pain)! :D
Mel
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby XCrazy on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:06pm

YUSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

It falls in mid-semester break so I should be there :D :D

Now to find/make a cross bike :paranoid:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby DaveAldred on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:39pm

XCrazy wrote:Now to find/make a cross bike :paranoid:

Bro - Get hold of some old Conti 1.5' Cross Country tires. Even in wire bead they were light. Cheap too. You'll be sweet!
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby XCrazy on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:45pm

DaveAldred wrote:
XCrazy wrote:Now to find/make a cross bike :paranoid:

Bro - Get hold of some old Conti 1.5' Cross Country tires. Even in wire bead they were light. Cheap too. You'll be sweet!

Hrrrmm, I shall investigate super skinny 26" tires :sly:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby snr_merv on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:54pm

Ah mint, I was gutted about the timing of the CX race in Upper Hutt in July, I might be able to get myself sorted in time for this one :cool: Cyclo-cross is the only type of riding I have yet to do on my cylo-cross bike :D
snr_merv
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby RussS on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:02pm

Dammit - I am pretty sure that fool in the HMBC shirt has SLICKS on that farking thing :crazy:
RussS
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby dented on Tue 9/Jun/09 7:00am

I did this last year, was a hoot (and a whole lot tougher than the course suggested), just needed a few more participants. There was a small "How To" segment in one of the NZMTBR magazines in the month or 2 before last years event with a bunch of sequential photos about how to do the fluid dismount/pick-up bike/jump an obstacle/remount operation, which I practiced beforehand and found really useful.
Wyatt jacked up some awesome prizes as well. I cant make it this year but can definitely vouch for it if youre thinking about it, go do it.
dented
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby sweet_P on Tue 9/Jun/09 8:37am

Hmmmm - I wonder if I can convince Thorg to take a road trip with me up to this... (Well, and if I can get the time off work!) Perfect excursion for our Roadrats! :)
sweet_P
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Friendly Llama on Tue 9/Jun/09 9:40am

Garrr, its the day before I get back in the country :(
Friendly Llama
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby xcmtb on Tue 9/Jun/09 10:33am

Rules/conditions of entry?
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby ryda on Tue 9/Jun/09 10:39am

dented wrote:I did this last year,
was that 08 :paranoid:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby dented on Tue 9/Jun/09 10:42am

Cyclocross races, are a set lap that you go around and around, once the clock has ticked over 60 minutes after the start, the next time the lead rider croses the start/finish line he will be given a bell to signify that it is his last lap. When the winner crosses the finish line the next time the race is over and as each rider crosse sthe line thats it.

If you were wondering about the rules on the bike, last year cyclocross bikes were encouraged, but they did allow one 26" wheeled bike to enter, although he was excluded from the official results at the end.
I think to qualify as a cylcocross bike it should have 700c wheels, narrow tyres, and drop handlebars. I believe disc brakes are UCI legal now (although this race is not UCI event, more a fun thing), although traditional cross bikes use rim brakes. Also, if you dont want to be caught out by the fashion police (as I was last year wearing my dobies and a T-shirt), then its full lycra Im afraid. I just used my Raleigh 29er last year with Drop bars, skinny tyres and big ratio (38:16 singlespeed). Most of the other bikes there were geared, and there was several uber bling things there.

And ryda, yep 08.
dented

Postby Mr_Bob on Tue 9/Jun/09 10:44am

dented wrote:I did this last year,

That's You in the bottom photo isn't it? (Number 08)
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby dented on Tue 9/Jun/09 10:45am

maybe :paranoid:
dented

Cycling | Cyclocross | Hamilton | New Zealand | News | Regions | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts