Re: The Country Road Manawatu Cycle Challenge

Postby nzmatto on Wed 30/Mar/11 9:02pm

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the ride this weekend, and to doing the classic too, although I'm no where near where I should be fitness wise. I guess my legs are in for a smashing then.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby JohnDH on Thu 31/Mar/11 4:44pm

Just had a brief fit of 'what the hell', and entered. Bib # for a solo entry is in the 1100s. :thumbsup:
JohnDH
"Undulating"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Thu 31/Mar/11 7:31pm

Early entry finishes tonight.
70 is pretty cheap!

85 tomorrow.
http://www.eventsmanawatu.co.nz/emccapp ... yForm.aspx
znomit
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby LycraLarry on Mon 4/Apr/11 9:39am

I rode the course on Thursday, with some bloke called Selwyn who apparently doesn't ride.... he did brilliantly ! :lol:

I joined Selwyn, Phil from Crank it cycles, Michelle T, Alan from the Frontrunner and John Dean...yes that JD! to ride the full 160km loop.

After a promo photo shoot in the square in Palmerston Nth we set out on a stunning day to ride the complete circuit. Was supposed to be at touring pace,but as in any situation when more then 2 bikes meet on the road the pace got spirited at times.
I struggled big time on the hills from the mid point of the loop proper and dropped off the back. The bunch fragmented and we re-grouped at Apiti. I was only 10 minutes of the pace (apparently but I think they were being kind) We pushed onto Kimbolton and stopped for Coffee at Hansens, great coffee by the way if your in that neck of the woods, discussed the ride, swapped ideas on the route and possible improvements for next year.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76284014

I had an issue with my Garmin so the readings are a bit off, plus it died at the 2/3rd point. But the main loop is there.

I also rode it again as a reccy ride with many of Team Potato Guy squad, including Matto & 6 others,to and from Feilding. We figured out the problem wit the Garmin 1/3rd the way around so have slightly better stats.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76815645

Matt claims he's still waiting for the hills to start...his words say one thing, his physical appearance at the end of the ride say another.
LycraLarry
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Tue 12/Apr/11 12:19am

Weather is looking damp :angry:
znomit

Postby Klarkash-ton on Tue 12/Apr/11 11:31am

znomit wrote:Weather is looking damp :angry:

at least they've downgraded it from thunderstorms :)
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"

Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"

Postby znomit on Wed 13/Apr/11 7:18pm

Oh, race controlled until the top of summerhill drive. Was hoping that little climb would split things up a bit.
Will be a full bunch right through until about the 50km mark then I guess.
znomit

Postby LycraLarry on Wed 13/Apr/11 8:24pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:
znomit wrote:Weather is looking damp :angry:

at least they've downgraded it from thunderstorms :)

Its OK carbon isn't conductive....and Matt tells me it has NO hills!
LycraLarry

Postby LycraLarry on Wed 13/Apr/11 8:27pm

znomit wrote:Oh, race controlled until the top of summerhill drive. Was hoping that little climb would split things up a bit.

Sorry Tim...that was my idea and Selwyn and JD both agreed.....that first down hill will split it up, and anyone with any sense will sit in until Asshurst at least and then let the false flat run to the top of Raumai hill will break it up some more.
LycraLarry

Postby znomit on Wed 13/Apr/11 9:55pm

LycraLarry wrote:
znomit wrote:Oh, race controlled until the top of summerhill drive. Was hoping that little climb would split things up a bit.

Sorry Tim...that was my idea and Selwyn and JD both agreed.....that first down hill will split it up, and anyone with any sense will sit in until Asshurst at least and then let the false flat run to the top of Raumai hill will break it up some more.

You fatties will need a bigger head start than that :p

Know how many riders are expected?
znomit

Postby znomit on Sat 16/Apr/11 5:19pm

Well that was a good day out. Just a few spots of rain here and there(was pouring back in town).

Started in the under 5:30 group and pace was pretty good through to Ashurst. A few guys were doing 90% of the work but I managed a good pull in there somewhere. After Ashurst things slowed abruptly (OMG the hills are coming) so I went to the front and after a couple of km looked back and found it was just me and a young fella out on our own. We sat up.
Come the first proper hill a lot of people appeared from the back and then disappeared back again. Pace picked up and things were going really well until a short downhill at the 52km mark where a spoke broke. Was pulling it out when the Pedal Pushers van appeared with a nice Mavic :love:

Off again and I picked off the stragglers from the bunch one by one. Rode with a young kid from Apiti for a while and l let him do the work into Apiti as that was his stop. Was hoping to see some fast fat relay riders to draft but I was on my own till a small group caught me at Cheltenham. Good ride through to Valley road where we all split up. Probably the toughest section of the ride. Caught again just before Ashurst and I clung onto the back(just) until the finish.

Really happy with the time a little over 5hrs and about a third of the way solo.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79402243
znomit

Postby LycraLarry on Sun 17/Apr/11 10:22am

znomit wrote:Well that was a good day out. Just a few spots of rain here and there(was pouring back in town).

Started in the under 5:30 group and pace was pretty good through to Ashurst. A few guys were doing 90% of the work but I managed a good pull in there somewhere. After Ashurst things slowed abruptly (OMG the hills are coming) so I went to the front and after a couple of km looked back and found it was just me and a young fella out on our own. We sat up.
Come the first proper hill a lot of people appeared from the back and then disappeared back again. Pace picked up and things were going really well until a short downhill at the 52km mark where a spoke broke. Was pulling it out when the Pedal Pushers van appeared with a nice Mavic :love:

Off again and I picked off the stragglers from the bunch one by one. Rode with a young kid from Apiti for a while and l let him do the work into Apiti as that was his stop. Was hoping to see some fast fat relay riders to draft but I was on my own till a small group caught me at Cheltenham. Good ride through to Valley road where we all split up. Probably the toughest section of the ride. Caught again just before Ashurst and I clung onto the back(just) until the finish.

Really happy with the time a little over 5hrs and about a third of the way solo.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79402243

it was a tough ride znomit! I'd rather double up at Taupo :lol:

I set myself a goal of sub 6:30 and came in at 5:48 which amazed me. TPG produced some good results 2 in the 4:15-20 bracket, 1 in 5:11, 3 in the 5:45-6 bracket and one in the 6:50's. Best result overall was for our eldest member who at 66 and strictly a fare weather rider did a better time than he did around Taupo last year by over an hour.

The girls had a great day to out on course in the Mini's, handing out water and food to those that needed it. Hoping that next year both are recovered enough to be able to ride in the event as both would be in the sub 4 hour group!
LycraLarry

LycraLarry

Postby JohnDH on Sun 17/Apr/11 9:25pm

That was a good ride and a well-organised event, with excellent community support from lots of marshalls and locals. It's a varied course through nice countryside with some spectacular views, and I think the event might just grow and grow. It should.

The weather forecast was for rain, and possibly a lot of it. Thankfully it held off until the afternoon, but the course was wet with autumn leaves at places, so we needed a bit of caution on the descents.

I started with the first bunch and we stayed together until the hills after Totara Reserve and before Apiti started to suck the energy out of the legs. The front of the bunch broke off up the road, and I ended up with several riders. We caught some others and a small group of 10 or so formed. Hey, Klark-ashton, good to meet! We stayed together until after Apiti and the final climb out of the river valley. By then I was contemplating the merits of my insufficient hill-repeat training. Too much contemplation, mind wandering, legs suffering, not enough concentration, and I drifted off the back.

Another rider and I hit a long, slightly declining stretch and swapped turns at the front. Freaky doing 40-50 for ages and seemingly not moving along the road at all. A faster-moving bunch of seven or eight eventually caught us, and we jumped on. By that time I was pretty fatigued from the hills and small group work and welcomed the shelter. We tried to get a rotation going, but a couple of riders were up for some epic work and feats of strength, so I focused on recovery, getting food and drink in, and completing the ride without cramping up and crying for mummy.

We had a fast final run into town from Pohangina, and I was pleased to see that finish line. 4.37 for me, I thnk we were third bunch home, pretty satisfying after a less-fit 4.55 at Taupo (comparable difficulty, I thought, Manawatu has a touch more climbing over the 160 k, with the difference being the lack of rollers at Manawatu -- most climbs started without momentum carrying you up the first, steep sections). Looks like the goal at Manawatu is now sub 4.30.

For Wgtn roadies the first half of the ride to the high point reminded me of riding up the false flat heading south along Whitemans Valley, followed by Moonshine-like ramps levelling off, with fast descents, not too technical, more false flat, more Moonshine ramps ...

I'm a starter for next year :thumbsup:
JohnDH
"Undulating"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | Manawatu | New Zealand | Palmerston North | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts