Re: The Cold Is Aggravating My Ghosts Of Injuries Past :(

Postby rachelr on Fri 22/May/09 9:41am

Fraser wrote:The thing I find odd is that the cycling aspect of my life, you guys seem to have more physical issues and consume more drugs than those who are unhealthy.
Maybe it is because you are more aware of your bodies or have similar traits to people who are doing things that are harmful things to themselves.

Or maybe it's because your average couch potato finds it difficult to injure themselves sitting around doing nothing? :eh:

Any active population runs the risk of injury simply because they're doing more things that might result in injury.

I'd rather take NSAIDs occasionally and fish oils all the time rather than cholesterol-lowering drugs, blood-pressure meds or antidepressants or any of the vast raft of medications that my inactive friends have to take just to remain vertical.
rachelr
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby thelongwalk on Fri 22/May/09 10:05am

What do you mean ghosts of injuries ?
they're standing right next to me now, engaging me in polite insistent conversation.
i do lots of stretches which means = that I get good at stretching :hmmm:
thelongwalk
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 22/May/09 1:15pm

Trail wrote:
rachelr wrote:I've had substantial benefit from taking fish oils (in mega doses) and now don't need to take my daily diclofenac so you might find that helps you Tama? I take 20gm a day (yes that's 20 capsules) but I do have arthritis in my knee so it's a treatment dose for that. You could try 10gm and see if that helps?
Also glucosamine and chondroitin are supposed to help with joint pain altho I really didn't notice much difference when I was taking glucosamine alongside the fishies.
For muscular aches, I'd totally agree with the advice to stretch :thumbsup: and the fairly obvious things of wrapping up warm and making sure your home/work aren't damp. I react much worse to damp, same as scatter (and I don't have the stainless excuse, my screws are titanium!)

does that stuff keep you happier too rachel?

I think there is some link between lack of omega 3's and depression... so mega doses of fish oils should be keeping you happier!!

Omega 3 did a world of good for my back!
Used to not be able to go for more than an hour and a half long ride before doubling over with pain in my lower back.
No real issues for the last year & a half that i've been taking it :thumbsup:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby one_uknw on Fri 22/May/09 7:37pm

Tama wrote:I'm getting revisited by ghosts of injuries past and I'm guessing it's because it's BLOODY COLD.

I've just got some Voltaren Emulgel to see if that will help out (not too keen on getting backing into antiflam pills) but I'm wondering what other people do?

Apart from moving somewhere warmer of course :p

Feel your pain man, hard out. Shoulders (both), wrist and right middle finger. First year I've experienced it. God I hope it doesn't escalate as I get older. Glucosamine seems to alleviate some associated pain in joints tho
one_uknw
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby crazychris on Fri 22/May/09 7:44pm

Only sports injury I still have after a decent time is my right hand ring finger which hurts when I make a tight fist. A netball injury. Don't catch balls with your fingertips gents.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby musket on Fri 22/May/09 8:01pm

I've found that my injuries flare up in the cold, but think in part it's the fact I do less when the weather is shit. I've invested in some good all weather riding gear, which helps. Still, both my thumbs are still prone to spontaneous dislocation (one and both knuckles :crazy: ), my shoulders and rib joints (facets?) and the old fractures in my spine / nerve damage in leg) flare up when the temperature drops.

Also, cold is one thing, but my biggest aggravating factor is having a fucking desk job. I've found the level of residual strength and conditioning (which was never famously great) that I've lost has resulted in lots of symptoms I thought I'd left behind resurfacing.

I'm about to embark on a really basic run of rehab, combined with stretching and diet to see if it helps - I fucking hope so, because if I had to choose between my career and my physical (and therefore mental) well-being, the choice would be easy.

I might try the fish oil (and glycosamine)...
musket
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 22/May/09 9:17pm

Musket I have a desk job and was having a lot of back problems too, one of the things we got done was a work place assessment, and she made changes to my desk height, seat position and monitor position. That all helped a lot. Work were very keen to arrange and pay for the assessment and so-on, lets face it its vastly cheaper than having staff off work or unhappy.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby musket on Fri 22/May/09 9:25pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. My set up has been vetted by a physio I trust. The issue is not so much environmental / postural, as the fact that some of my injuries mean I atrophy muscle in my lower back / glutes / leg rapidly if I'm not doing a lot. My metabolism doesn't help.

The essence of if it is a need to stay really active all the time. So I've only got myself to blame...
musket

Postby Percy Pig on Fri 22/May/09 10:26pm

Omega 3 and glucosamine, if only I could swallow the damn things, cos I aint chewing the omega's! :crazy:

Oh and liquid Arnica for when shit gets too bad, or Ive been slacking on my stretching/ exercises. :paranoid:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby musket on Fri 22/May/09 10:30pm

I've heard a number of times that arnica does bad, bad shit to kidneys.
musket

Postby Percy Pig on Fri 22/May/09 10:57pm

musket wrote:I've heard a number of times that arnica does bad, bad shit to kidneys.

Too much Arnica does, a bit when you need it does no worse than some beer when you need it! :D
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby musket on Fri 22/May/09 10:58pm

My question then, is why not opt for beer, instead of the arnica?
musket

Postby xcwander on Fri 22/May/09 11:13pm

I've been using fish oil and glucosamine for 10 yrs mitigate arthritis in my hands and have found it good as well as for other injuries. Good thing I like is if I forget for a day it doesn't matter. Takes about 3 weeks for the swelling and tenderness to return to the knuckles if I stop.

The oils are good to in they help keep the elasticity in of soft tissues so help with some other injuries
xcwander
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Fraser on Fri 22/May/09 11:47pm

rachelr wrote:
Fraser wrote:The thing I find odd is that the cycling aspect of my life, you guys seem to have more physical issues and consume more drugs than those who are unhealthy.
Maybe it is because you are more aware of your bodies or have similar traits to people who are doing things that are harmful things to themselves.

Or maybe it's because your average couch potato finds it difficult to injure themselves sitting around doing nothing? :eh:

Any active population runs the risk of injury simply because they're doing more things that might result in injury.

I'd rather take NSAIDs occasionally and fish oils all the time rather than cholesterol-lowering drugs, blood-pressure meds or antidepressants or any of the vast raft of medications that my inactive friends have to take just to remain vertical.

I am not talking about getting run over on the way to KFC. It is the uber fit punters who you can see veins in odd places. Carbo loading. That is the hypocritical aspect of it. You would expect them to live longer and healther. But they don't.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 23/May/09 12:46am

I hate Voltaren. I lived on that shit for years. And I'd always get migraines on average once a month. But not when I don't have it. And when I used some recently for an injury, I got a bad migraine. So I've been using Sinuflix (or something like that, I can't be bothered going and checking), no migraines.
I've heard from quite a few people that have taken most of the gluten from their diets and most of them all say less pain in general.
But like everything, somethings will work fro some, and not for others. But it can't hurt to try some of these things out, if you do suffer from chronic pain. I went from living on Voltaren and painkillers to none at all with just diet change.
And I'd prolly kill the rest of any pain I have if I actually did my core exercises :blush: :paranoid:
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Cycling | Health | Sifting - Latest Posts