Re: The Cold Is Aggravating My Ghosts Of Injuries Past :(

Postby Tinkerbell on Thu 21/May/09 1:08pm

I've just done an hour of yoga, all my owies are warm and feel nice. If only I could flow home to bed now. *blissful face*
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Thu 21/May/09 1:13pm

Tinkerbell wrote:I've just done an hour of yoga, all my owies are warm and feel nice. If only I could flow home to bed now. *blissful face*

I hope to hell you've just changed the subject, and that owies isn't some modern term I'm unaware of... :crazy:

If not, thanks for sharing! :D

And, slowMTB, ... :lol:
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Thu 21/May/09 1:15pm

Yep, yoga is very good at getting you all warmed up, limber and relaxed.

If you want to be extra warm try the bikram (heated room) yoga...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Thu 21/May/09 1:15pm

sifter! :o :lol:

yes, I've changed the subject :hmmm: :p
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Thu 21/May/09 1:16pm

Tinkerbell wrote:sifter! :o :lol:

yes, I've changed the subject :hmmm: :p

:)
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby rachelr on Thu 21/May/09 1:17pm

I've had substantial benefit from taking fish oils (in mega doses) and now don't need to take my daily diclofenac so you might find that helps you Tama? I take 20gm a day (yes that's 20 capsules) but I do have arthritis in my knee so it's a treatment dose for that. You could try 10gm and see if that helps?
Also glucosamine and chondroitin are supposed to help with joint pain altho I really didn't notice much difference when I was taking glucosamine alongside the fishies.
For muscular aches, I'd totally agree with the advice to stretch :thumbsup: and the fairly obvious things of wrapping up warm and making sure your home/work aren't damp. I react much worse to damp, same as scatter (and I don't have the stainless excuse, my screws are titanium!)
rachelr
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 21/May/09 1:19pm

Warm up for footy on Saturday's now includes wrapping yourself with strapping tape, 3 asprins, 4 voltarin, Large can of Red Bull and 3 puffs of ventolin after standing in a warm shower. Post match just reverse the process :p :p
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 6 months

XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby danose on Thu 21/May/09 1:23pm

DogsBollocks wrote:Warm up for footy on Saturday's now includes wrapping yourself with strapping tape, 3 asprins, 4 voltarin, Large can of Red Bull and 3 puffs of ventolin after standing in a warm shower. Post match just reverse the process :p :p

and you had to ask US about retiring - sounds like your body is already telling you what to do!! :o :o :o
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 21/May/09 1:28pm

Still fun but ;)
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Trail on Thu 21/May/09 1:32pm

rachelr wrote:I've had substantial benefit from taking fish oils (in mega doses) and now don't need to take my daily diclofenac so you might find that helps you Tama? I take 20gm a day (yes that's 20 capsules) but I do have arthritis in my knee so it's a treatment dose for that. You could try 10gm and see if that helps?
Also glucosamine and chondroitin are supposed to help with joint pain altho I really didn't notice much difference when I was taking glucosamine alongside the fishies.
For muscular aches, I'd totally agree with the advice to stretch :thumbsup: and the fairly obvious things of wrapping up warm and making sure your home/work aren't damp. I react much worse to damp, same as scatter (and I don't have the stainless excuse, my screws are titanium!)

does that stuff keep you happier too rachel?

I think there is some link between lack of omega 3's and depression... so mega doses of fish oils should be keeping you happier!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby nostromo on Thu 21/May/09 1:34pm

Tama wrote:I'm getting revisited by ghosts of injuries past and I'm guessing it's because it's BLOODY COLD.

I've just got some Voltaren Emulgel to see if that will help out (not too keen on getting backing into antiflam pills) but I'm wondering what other people do?

Apart from moving somewhere warmer of course :p

Hey Tama, try that Voltaren out but personally I find Nurofen gel really effective, whereas Voltaren doesn't really do owt.
Thats for the gel - I don't know about the pills.
I've read some things that seem to suggest Ibroprufen (Nurofen) has more of an anti-inflammatory effect whereas Diclofinac (Voltaren) has more of an analgesic effect. That may or may not be true and it may vary for different people but I know what works for me.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Thu 21/May/09 1:35pm

rachelr wrote:I've had substantial benefit from taking fish oils (in mega doses) and now don't need to take my daily diclofenac so you might find that helps you Tama? I take 20gm a day (yes that's 20 capsules) but I do have arthritis in my knee so it's a treatment dose for that. You could try 10gm and see if that helps?

Thanks Rachel - I take 3gm of fish oil a day already, I don't know if I could even handle 10 capsules!

I've got a timer on my computer to remind me to stretch ever 20 minutes, and yes I think the damp is worse than the cold. Makes me miss sunny Wellington :p
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby rachelr on Thu 21/May/09 5:04pm

I was frankly a bit skeptical to be honest but I've been able to ditch my daily dose of 150mg of diclofenac which makes me very happy given the long-term effects of the drug. I worked up from 2 capsules at a time to now being able to take 15 in one go.

Zane, I'm not sure if it makes me happier - I'm usually a pretty happy person as it is.
I have been healthier overall tho which might be the fishies or it might be the accompanying diet and exercise that goes with it all since I've also dropped gluten/baked goods out of my diet and massively upped my intake of fruit and vege while following a much more structured training program. I should mention tho that the fishies preceded the dietary tweaks by enough of a margin that I feel fairly safe attributing the pain reduction to them.

Re the comment about ibuprofen - I find that more useful for joint pain than diclofenac. That may be because diclofenac needs to be taken for a week or three to get the serum(?) levels up enough to be useful - according to my doctor at least.
So you might be looking at a placebo effect from knowing you've taken the diclofenac vs an actual effect from the ibuprofen? I'm not a doctor nor am I especially informed about the meds tho so take this as the anecdotal evidence' it is :blush:
rachelr
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Fraser on Fri 22/May/09 9:21am

Ever arrived at a party with a case of beer and everyone else is on other stuff? :D

The thing I find odd is that the cycling aspect of my life, you guys seem to have more physical issues and consume more drugs than those who are unhealthy.
Maybe it is because you are more aware of your bodies or have similar traits to people who are doing things that are harmful things to themselves.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Cycling | Health | Sifting - Latest Posts