http://www.nzicecream.org.nz/awards.htm wrote:The 13th NEW ZEALAND ICE CREAM AWARDS were announced at the special Awards Dinner held during the NZ Ice Cream Manufacturers' Assn. Conference in Palmerston North on Thursday, 28th MAY 2009.
“You could definitely eat more than a spoonful of this” was the verdict of the Judges when they awarded the 2009 New Zealand Ice Cream Supreme Award to Takapuna Beach Café & Store for their Licorice Gelato.
This Gelato, with the highest score overall, was described by the Judges as near to perfect with its delicate aniseed type flavour and smooth creamy texture. Not only did Takapuna Beach Café & Store win the Supreme Award and Gelato Best in Category for their Licorice Gelato, but they also won the Sorbet Best in Category for their Mango Sorbet.
- Standard Vanilla Ice Cream: Tip Top Vanilla Ice Cream 2L
- Standard Ice Cream with Inclusions: Tip Top Good Goody Gum Drops 2L
- Premium Vanilla Ice Cream: Deep South French Vanilla
- Premium Ice Cream: Limonata Cheesecake from Kiwi Ice Cream
- Creative Division: Creamy Chocolate & Raspberry with a Hit of Chilli Ice Cream from Tip Top
- Kids Choice: Killinchy Gold Chocolate Fudge Brownie from Emerald Foods
- Gelato: Licorice Gelato from Takapuna Beach Cafe & Store
- Sorbet: Mango Sorbet from Takapuna Beach Cafe & Store
- Low Fat: Chateau Strawberry Yoghurt from Emerald Foods
- Supreme Award: Licorice Gelato from Takapuna Beach Cafe & Store
What a frikkin' sweet(hur hur) idea! Although "licorice gelato" does sound particularly suspect to me. I like the sound of "Creamy Chocolate & Raspberry with a Hit of Chilli" though