Postby Datsane on Mon 7/Jan/08 11:09am

So the changes to the corner have made it much better. I seen on the news the other day about it, with johnnie saying it should make a big differance to the race now.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby dented on Mon 7/Jan/08 3:10pm

Datsane wrote: So the changes to the corner have made it much better. I seen on the news the other day about it, with johnnie saying it should make a big differance to the race now.

Is it better? In relation to the A1GP cars? We will know in 2 weeks time.
What I can tell you, is there is now loads more action there than there was before. They havent laid any new track surface, what they have done is put in a ripple strip, and painted a white line to move the apex of the corner (see pic) at the end of the long straight, as it goes into the tight left-right-left section. The good line is still to hug the outside edge of the straight, brake late, then turn hard across the apex and try and set up for the R/Hander. Of course the corner is tighter so speed must be reduced more then previously. Problem comes when someone thinks they will shoot down the inside for the pass on the approach, brakes equally as late, then realises that physics will not allow their car to turn left and still allow enough racing room on the outside for the car they have gone under, this is assuming the first car already saw them coming and left them racing room on the inside anyway. If they do manage to go through there side-by-side, they will both have had to drop their corner speed by about half again on what they would have if they were on their own, leaving the pair of them open to being punted up the ass by a following car.
I predict a lot of action there, as have the organisers jusdging by the overwhelming amount of seating all around this area. :)
tpo track change.JPG
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Datsane on Mon 7/Jan/08 5:52pm

So could have the drivers just driving down the middle of the track to not allow a pass or atleast make it much harder.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby dented on Mon 7/Jan/08 9:43pm

I dunno, you know what they say about the shortest distance between 2 points and all that.
The A1 cars with all that power button craziness, it becomes a bit of a game of guesswork and outsmartery, rather than just driving well.

The NZV8's, now they will be entertaining, I can imagine them trying to go 3 wide through there.
dented

Postby Logger on Mon 7/Jan/08 9:59pm

Thank for the diagram Dents, looking at that I will no longer be going into 2nd just before the right hander. Will have to go straight to 2nd just before thoe corner :(
Logger
"'On time everytime'"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby pb on Sat 19/Jan/08 2:53pm

wtf? Ads right in the middle of the second qualifying session. And right when all the cars are about to head out. Stupid programming directors. :(
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 19/Jan/08 11:06pm

I missed all but the last 10minutes of which was mostly bloody ads.
how are they doing the qualifying? I didn't see a top ten style shoot out or anything, but heard on the news that we had 5th in the main race :eh:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby pb on Sat 19/Jan/08 11:10pm

First two sessions are for the sprint, second two for the main race. Fastest time out of the two sessions for each. Means the positions for the two races are totally different.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."

Postby Datsane on Sun 20/Jan/08 10:29am

Ok sweet I just wanted to know why I didn't see a shoot out style top ten for the grid. And the reason is they don't do it.
I knew they had the two sessions for each of the races which is a bad and good idea to me.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby pb on Sun 20/Jan/08 10:51am

I dont really like how they only get one hot lap in each session. If they happen to hit traffic during it then they are screwed. I think it should be a free for all for each of the 15min sessions. Having two sessions is good though, they can make some minor changes to the car setup between sessions if the track has changed from the practce session then. It would make for a more interesting 15min I think, rather than eeryone waiting until the last 3min.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."

Postby dented on Mon 6/Oct/08 7:09am

Well done Earl Bamber!
Those conditions were atrocious last night. He hadnt driven the car at all until the weekend, on a track that was new to him. Kept his head brilliantly and even made the local driver look real ordinary when he put the pass on in the sprint race.
I met him last year when my Dads work were sponsoring his car in the Toyota Race Series, he is every bit as media friendly as Jonny Reid.
dented

Postby Dazzle on Mon 6/Oct/08 8:37am

Amateur hour all round. Crashed cars still ended up in the points.

They canceled the first round (Italy - home of Ferarri) because the Ferrari designed (but not built) cars were not going to be ready on time, then only half the field had its cars the day before practice. Another four teams get their cars in time to do their first ever laps the same day as qualifying. Where is the 'tisk tisk' finger shaking smiley?
The marshells trucks driving ON the track while cars were still racing (200+kph in the straight) :ib: ye gods.

Last race I watched before last night was the south African (?) street round, which was twenty odd very amateur drivers doing stupid shit and a hand full of drivers trying not to get caught up in the track blocking crashes.
Last night, no different.
I spose if you like high speed human unguided missiles, it makes for exciting viewing.

There must be someone in the NZ shed that knows how to set up a car. Year on year they are consistently good at set up.
One good thing I could say about this year's A1 - the best placed team has to share its set up with the rest of the field, which should help the amateur hour back 2/3rds of the field.

And yeah, Earl came across very well in his media contacts I saw..... when the pit lane interviewers microphone was not cutting in and out...
Dazzle
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby dented on Mon 6/Oct/08 9:29am

Dazzle wrote:There must be someone in the NZ shed that knows how to set up a car. Year on year they are consistently good at set up.

The past 2 years NZ were essentially 'teammates' with Germany, and sharing set--up info, and both cars qualified Top 3 a lot. Not sure if they are doing the same again this year, Germany still waiting on their car.
I wonder what it was that determined who got their cars first?

Hey it will never be F1, and very few drivers will ever make that jump. Of course it comes across as amateur. I do think the new car with 600hp on tap will sort out the men from the boys, and I am super glad they have ditched the 'power button' concept.
dented

Postby Flyboy on Mon 6/Oct/08 9:31am

:pmob: only to see F1 propose to introduce the same concept in 2009....
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Datsane on Mon 6/Oct/08 9:43pm

Flyboy wrote: :pmob: only to see F1 propose to introduce the same concept in 2009....
I'd put money on that also.
I'm guessing A1s going to be F1's test mule for what makes people pay to watch.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts