Re: Teacher Breaches Constitution Calling Creationism Nonsense

Postby nzmatto on Wed 6/May/09 9:04pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
nzmatto wrote:""Anyway creationism isn't Christian doctrine, My family are mostly Jebus freaks and they are all Darwinists.""

ummmm

how can this be? would it not be like an atheist saying they cant help it God made them that way?

It's called "theistic evolution": some Christians claim that evolution was the means by which God created us, and that Genesis is only metaphorical. It's utterly bogus of course.

Interesting thought, so that brings creationism in line with Darwinism. I can see quite valid thinking paths down that line. A lot of people believe there were many many thousands of years between the first and second recorded versus in the bible. This would probably support this thought, or theory, or whatever the right term is here.

It is a little off this topic though.

So a teacher gets busted for a flippant remark against creationism, showing his preference for a scientific approach. I just don't get it, I mean sure in schools they should probably try to teach or support all views, however I don't think if they make a mistake they should have the book thrown at them for a comment. It's not like he was pretending to be a catholic priest. In my mind the teacher should be allowed to share his own opinions even if that may influence the students (his views are actually vastly different from mine - yes I do believe in creation - but this does not stop me from seeing reason in the argument).
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby phunk on Wed 6/May/09 9:05pm

Its not an opinion, its a fact.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby nzmatto on Wed 6/May/09 9:17pm

phunk wrote:Its not an opinion, its a fact.

I think it is a belief.

If either one of us could evidentially prove beyond reasonable (and unreasonable probably) doubt either one way or the other we would not be writing on Vorb (probably) and we would be in a position to prove or disprove the existence of God. We have differing view about how it all started. To you, you have as many of the facts that are currently available to science, which is learning more every day, to me I have a belief along a particular path that in some areas differs to science, yet in many ways supports it.
You see, what happens when / if one day science proves the existence of a God that caused the initial creation and that things were set in motion from then. A while back I was in a discussion about the 'big bang.' I totally believe in a big bang, and I have convinced a lot of like minded and faithed individuals of this. The bible itself supports it.
We really won't know the answer till Science has ALL the answers.....till then we are still either searching or believing.

Again off topic. I still say (contrary to my belief) that the teacher should have a free speech right to share his own belief / current scientific fact understandings.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby iodi on Thu 7/May/09 7:30am

nzmatto wrote:We really won't know the answer till Science has ALL the answers.....till then we are still either searching or believing.

Careful where you go with that, as it looks perilously close to the God of the gaps argument.
If I believed in God it would make me sad to see Him diminished as the gaps in which He resides are continually reduced by our expanding knowledge. :(
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby thorg on Thu 7/May/09 8:02am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:aren't there elephants under the turtles? no, wait, I think the earth is flat, and its held up by elephants, and the elephants are standing on a turtles back, yes?
yes, 4 elephants, then turtles all the way down :-)

nzmatto: EDC has on numerous ocasions disproved the existance of god on this very forum. he tires of doing so, as some people refuse to believe the truth even when confronted with it. The phrase I remember from one of his explanations (from memory, I may not have this right) "so god evolved into an irrelivance" has stuck with me :-D just sounded so cool :-)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 7/May/09 8:12am

thorg wrote:EDC has on numerous ocasions disproved the existance of god on this very forum.

:rolleyes:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Thu 7/May/09 10:14am

Maybe it's part of God's Plan that his existence is being disproved?
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 7/May/09 10:15am

MAYBE THIS IS ALL A DREAM OMG!!!
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby nostromo on Thu 7/May/09 10:31am

AFAIK god didn't actually write the Bible himself, and if he did create everything and no-one was there to know and observe about it, how does the Bible know :ib:
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 30/Sep/11 4:58pm

Thank you Bot, for your enlightening dredge.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 30/Sep/11 6:15pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Thank you Bot, for your enlightening dredge.

So now lets let the topic die (again).
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 30/Sep/11 6:48pm

Religion does not belong in institutions where facts are learnt and discussed....
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 30/Sep/11 6:59pm

Mickyfinn wrote:Religion does not belong in institutions where facts are learnt and discussed....

I realise you're really young n all but that is a very simplistic comment.
FLATULENTFRIEND

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 30/Sep/11 7:29pm

Karl said religion is the Opium of the Prolatariat... I think he was right
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 30/Sep/11 10:05pm

Mickyfinn wrote:Karl said religion is the Opium of the Prolatariat... I think he was right

Its usual paraphrase is "opium of the people" and he was wrong about so many other things too, i.e. don't ever read up on Marx for a good Economics lesson :eh:
FLATULENTFRIEND

Education | Sifting - Latest Posts