Taxes On Incoming Goods

Postby Bob_Jones on Fri 28/Dec/07 5:31pm

Im looking at placing an order on Chainreaction and was wondering if anyone knew how much I should expect to pay as tax when the goods enter the country?

I just want too make sure its still worth ordering from there really.

Alos if anyone is keen I would be happy too do a big combined order too cut down the shipping costs :thumbsup:
Bob_Jones
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby psychavoc on Fri 28/Dec/07 5:34pm

12.5% GST will be charged if the GST amount is over $50. So, if your total order (including freight) is over $400 (since $50 is 12.5% of $400), then you will be charged GST. Special items such as helmets, also incur a duty rate (helmets = 17%). Check out http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/Pr ... harges.htm for more information :)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 28/Dec/07 5:34pm

12.5% on orders over 400 from memory

edit, also some other items are taxed more, helmets being one of them I think. There have been a few threads about it on here.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Bob_Jones on Fri 28/Dec/07 5:38pm

Looking at that website, as far as I can understand atleast, there is no charge on bikes entering the country. I assume this is only relevant for complete bikes then? And do the goods stay in storage until you pay the GST? cheers
Bob_Jones

Postby Halo24 on Fri 28/Dec/07 5:41pm

Full face helmets don't get duty on them ;) yep, customs holds the goods until you've paid.
Halo24
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby psychavoc on Fri 28/Dec/07 5:42pm

You will be charged 12.5% on bikes (assuming the bike costs more than $400). There is no duty ON TOP of the 12.5% GST that you will pay. I think they send you a letter if you are required to pay, and will hold your goods until you pay.

Like Wobbler says, there's a few threads on Vorb about this topic, so use the Search function and you'll no doubt come across threads by people who have done this before.

For the record, I've never paid GST, but have never gone over $400 on my overseas orders :cool:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Dazzle on Fri 28/Dec/07 5:43pm

Customs return goods to the point of origin if you do not pay within a set time. Which could happen if they used ****ing knuckle dragging retards to address the duty invoice to a NZ postal address that does not exist.....

:insert fucked off smiley face here:
Dazzle
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby mundi on Mon 31/Dec/07 3:44am

Lucky your not in Bolivia.
40% import tax anyone!!
mundi
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby rather_be_ridin on Wed 2/Jan/08 9:40pm

if i remember rightly you get charged importing tax if its over 1k
rather_be_ridin
"hang it out"

Postby Wobbler on Wed 2/Jan/08 9:44pm

dirtjumper123 wrote: if i remember rightly you get charged importing tax if its over 1k
you dont remember rightly
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby KieranC on Wed 2/Jan/08 9:45pm

mundi wrote: Lucky your not in Bolivia.
40% import tax anyone!!

would that encourage people to make their own stuff there or just make every thing realy expensive? :eh:
KieranC
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby rather_be_ridin on Wed 2/Jan/08 10:02pm

oh ok my bad
rather_be_ridin
"hang it out"

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts