Tawa Single Track

Postby mark2c on Sun 20/Apr/08 9:45pm

There is a good forest single track on the western hills above Tawa that drops about 230m down into Redwood. From the Main Rd the loop shown is about 5km.

From the Main Rd in Tawa ride up Victory cresent to the very top where there is a path beside the building site at the end of Chastudon Pl. The short steep path leads up to the Spicer Forest track that normally leads through to the Ohariu Valley.

Instead take the sharp left turn off the main track into the forest just after passing the end of the landfill. This is not well signposted, but is located at the bottom of the rise shown in the pics.

The single track is all downhill and pops out in Kiwi Cres, Redwood, Tawa.

Thanks goes to the people who built and maintain this great track.
Overview.jpg
The loop starts at the northern end of Tawa and pops out in Redwood.
Tawa-SingleTrack.jpg
Here is some more detail on the turn off and an inset pic of the single track through the forest.
Turnoff.jpg
Here is the turn off into the forest. It is easy to miss.
Last edited by mark2c on Mon 21/Apr/08 6:27am, edited 1 time in total.
mark2c
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Simon_K on Sun 20/Apr/08 10:27pm

You're kidding me. I lived in a street near the top of Victory cres for 8 months and that was literally 2 mins from there?????

Not happy :(

;)
Simon_K
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby whitespyblackspy on Sun 20/Apr/08 10:39pm

whats it like to ride?
whitespyblackspy
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby VERT on Sun 20/Apr/08 10:55pm

looks good, will have to check it out
VERT
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Tawa Single Track

Postby mark2c on Sun 20/Apr/08 10:55pm

Ah, so this posting is not in vain. My experience is similar as it took about two years to find out about it.

Like most forest single track it is very sweet indeed. The initial climb is well repaid. The landfill can be a bit 'ripe' at times depending on the wind direction :crazy: . Oh, and watch for the odd fallen tree (ie duck under) & the odd strand of blackberry.
mark2c

Postby yak71 on Mon 21/Apr/08 9:51am

MAN!!! I've been riding past this turnoff for ages without knowing about it. Thanks heaps for the info. I'd heard rumours and been looking for it but never had any luck.
FYI - there is another turnoff later on if you keep going towards ohariu. You can hang a left just before you start dropping into ohariu and end up by the walking track in greyfriars cres. Not the greatest but still ridable.
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Jono on Mon 21/Apr/08 10:34am

Hmmm. With the inclusion of a bit of road riding, this could be a really good way to ride from Kaukau too...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Sweet - Link It!

Postby yak71 on Mon 21/Apr/08 1:41pm

there's a track (i marked in yellow approximately), that comes down from colonial knob which would be great to link up with this one.
overview_626.jpg
yak71
"yeah definitely"

Postby tricks121 on Mon 21/Apr/08 2:09pm

Jono wrote: Hmmm. With the inclusion of a bit of road riding, this could be a really good way to ride from Kaukau too...

I love near Grey Friers ... the tracks up there are great ...
tricks121
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby mark2c on Mon 21/Apr/08 2:10pm

A nice plan but... the farm and the walkway are both no go for mountain bikes.
mark2c

Postby Jono on Mon 21/Apr/08 2:26pm

If it's something that would be worth-while (in terms of a larger trail network), let me know and we can have a talk to the council about getting the designation changed. Along the same lines as what happened with skyline
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby mtbskier on Mon 21/Apr/08 9:49pm

Is the red route line generated from a GPS? If is any chance getting the track log from the GPS?
mtbskier
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Thermo on Mon 21/Apr/08 11:42pm

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out on the weekend.
Thermo
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Rocketman on Tue 22/Apr/08 10:00am

Man it looks good, will have to check it out. Does anyone know who owns/operates/manages the land?

The new Tawa Off Road Riders Club is looking to develope tracks around Tawa including the revamped Jump track.
Rocketman
Member for: 13 years 1 month

It's Good

Postby yak71 on Sun 27/Apr/08 9:36pm

absolutely stoked about this, the botom is about 500m from my house. Went down it yesterday, up it today with a bit of pushing on the SS.
I certainly dont recommend joining this up with the southern most colonial knob track that skirts the edge of the farm - that would be foolish and against the rules. :sly:
Resize of DSC00162.JPG
Resize of Rotation of DSC00161.JPG
Resize of DSC00160.JPG
dont go up there!!!
yak71
"yeah definitely"

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts