Tauranga Half Ironman

Postby Lynskey on Wed 1/Jul/09 4:10pm

Howdy,

who's looking to race in Tga in January 2010? I'm in Wellington, will be my first crack at the long distance stuff - just putting the word out to see if there's anyone training for the same thing round my ways, could meet up for some sessions or what not, all I get from my friends is perplexed looks when I tell them what sessions I'm off to do...

Anywho, threads open to general Tri banter too I guess.
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Tauranga Half Ironman

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 1/Jul/09 4:31pm

I'll be passing on tauranga again, I'd much rather race vegas, away from the overcrowding and persistent draft cheats. Since Rotorua is before xmas, I can go on to enjoy the holiday period too :thumbsup:

ditch the city style madness and come do a real challenge :)
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 1/Jul/09 6:10pm

I'm thinking about it. So long as I don't go over to Adelaide for the Tour Down Under.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Wed 1/Jul/09 7:19pm

Entries fill really quick so be prepared to alter your training to do Rotorua or taupo instead. Dont get hung up on the drafting thing. It happens, just go with it and dont let it ruin your day. crowd support is awesome and way better than rotorua and a bit better than Taupo.
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Lynskey on Wed 1/Jul/09 8:21pm

Yeah just doing Tauranga because my mate who got me into tris has done it a few times so will be able to let me know what the low down is, a nice introduction I reckon. What's with the drafting? Just people sucking along behind you? Either way I certainly won't be in the lead bunch.
Lynskey

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 1/Jul/09 9:51pm

1scotty1 wrote:Entries fill really quick so be prepared to alter your training to do Rotorua or taupo instead. Dont get hung up on the drafting thing. It happens, just go with it and dont let it ruin your day. crowd support is awesome and way better than rotorua and a bit better than Taupo.

crowd support is the best aspect of the race, the only time you're away from the crowd is the first lap of the bike out in the countryside.

Lynskey wrote:What's with the drafting? Just people sucking along behind you? Either way I certainly won't be in the lead bunch.

the lead 'groups' are generally very clean, but further back MOP the bunches get rather silly. I had the joy of watching a huge paceline go past me in 07 when i sat up for food and drink. Adding insult to injury, a marshall yelled at me to 'drop back' as said paceline streamed onwards. :hmmm:
slidecontrol

Postby 1scotty1 on Thu 2/Jul/09 8:23am

The swim is warmer at Tauranga han at Taupo or Rotorua. Especially Rotorua although the water temp there is an incentive to swim fast. Fresh water is nicer to swim intoo.
1scotty1

Postby Bergkamp on Thu 2/Jul/09 4:52pm

Water is warmer in Rotorua than Taupo - it was a balmy 18 or 19 degrees (I believe) for last year's race. There's no snow run off into the Blue Lake, so it's almost certainly warmer than Taupo at the same time of year.

Rotorua rocks - I did my first Half last year in Rotorua and loved it. Awesome course, albeit that you won't set any records. And the after match is heaps of fun (I managed to win a pair of compression tights by coming second in the scissor, paper, rock competition).

Tauranga will have a bigger crowd/better atmosphere and is the 'bigger' race, but Rotorua has the best course. Actually, probably not true any more - the Wanaka Half likely takes that crown: http://www.challenge-wanaka.com/half.html.
Bergkamp
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Tue 7/Jul/09 9:43am

Entries are open today - I appear to be doing the bike leg for a team....
Mmmmm..... Training....
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Tue 7/Jul/09 11:32am

Individuals sold out just after 10am. waitlist is now open.
1scotty1

Postby Lynskey on Tue 7/Jul/09 11:40am

Man, I had arranged with my flatmate to use his credit card to do my entry and then give him the money, got up this morning and he'd just gone off to work, so I missed out on the entry!

How likely is the waitlist?
Lynskey

Postby Lynskey on Wed 8/Jul/09 12:07pm

Ooops, my bad. Would've missed out anyway.

So I need to pick another event, can anyone give me any advice on the other 1/2's around NZ? I put my name on the TGA waitlist but i'm not hopeful, do the other ones fill up typically?
Lynskey

Postby Bergkamp on Wed 8/Jul/09 12:13pm

If the choice is between Taupo and Rotorua, it is Rotorua hands down. Great race, and there'll be heaps of people from Wellington doing it.
Bergkamp
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 8/Jul/09 12:14pm

vegas FTW!
slidecontrol

Postby 1scotty1 on Wed 8/Jul/09 12:34pm

Vegas has a hilly bike ride but then you rest on the downs. Times are suprisingly similar. Some say taupo is a boring ride but if its your first half then you wont notice. personally i like the farmlands at Taupo.
I enjoy the Taupo run especially the second half along the lions walk lakeside. If your tired the off road at Vegas makes it seem worse and the finish is always further than it looks and sounds. Kiss your nice new shoes goodbye at Vegas.
The swim. I hate swimming so both are on a par. there isnt a lot of snow around taupo in December so the comment about Snow fed rivers (which is off the Rotorua entry form) doesnt really apply. The Vegas transition doesnt see a lot of sun during morning.
Parking is crap at Vegas. Walk from and to your motel at Taupo.
Spectating is better at taupo.
Apparently the after match at vegas is great. Dont know Im there for the race.
You get a beer at the finish of vegas. Reason enough to enter.
bergkamp says lots of wgtn people at Vegas. Not sure if thats a plus or minus.

Both events are great. Both are enjoyable. Both will break you.
1scotty1

Multisport | Triathlons - Latest Posts