Re: Tauranga Half Ironman

Postby Bergkamp on Wed 8/Jul/09 12:52pm

1scotty1 wrote:Vegas has a hilly bike ride but then you rest on the downs. Times are suprisingly similar. Some say taupo is a boring ride but if its your first half then you wont notice. personally i like the farmlands at Taupo.
I enjoy the Taupo run especially the second half along the lions walk lakeside. If your tired the off road at Vegas makes it seem worse and the finish is always further than it looks and sounds. Kiss your nice new shoes goodbye at Vegas.
The swim. I hate swimming so both are on a par. there isnt a lot of snow around taupo in December so the comment about Snow fed rivers (which is off the Rotorua entry form) doesnt really apply. The Vegas transition doesnt see a lot of sun during morning.
Parking is crap at Vegas. Walk from and to your motel at Taupo.
Spectating is better at taupo.
Apparently the after match at vegas is great. Dont know Im there for the race.
You get a beer at the finish of vegas. Reason enough to enter.
bergkamp says lots of wgtn people at Vegas. Not sure if thats a plus or minus.

Both events are great. Both are enjoyable. Both will break you.

Yep - there are a couple of large climbs in Rotorua (it's an out and back, so four in total), but otherwise flat, and it's mostly a beautiful course.
The swim at Vegas is awesome - surprisingly warm and the Blue Lake is very pleasant;
The run is tough in Rotorua, but also fun, and I think that having about 50% off-road is a positive (albeit that it's a bit slower);
Parking is not that crap - you obviously have to park, but there's a massive area where everyone can park quite easily. It works fine for Xterra and that's a bigger event;
The beer at the finish is very, very nice; and
I think people from Wellington are grand. Likely to be plenty at Taupo too.
I haven't done Taupo, so can only relay what I have heard from people who have done both (and won't go back to Taupo).
I know Taupo is a newer event, and they're probably improving, but Hooksie runs a good event, and used to run the Taupo Half before mocing it to Rotorua (lots of politics behind your choice of half here)
As Scotty says, both will be enjoyable and challenging. One note - if you go Rotorua, get a larger size tri-top than you think you'll need.

Or - you could do the Wanaka Half instead, which I would love to do if I were in the country then.
Bergkamp
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Wed 8/Jul/09 1:14pm

Bergkamp isnt telling you everything about the vegas run. He hasnt mentioned the "lookout" or the fact that "round the lake" track doesnt mean it is all at lake level.

Like your bike description Bergkamp. Four large climbs (in 90km) but is "otherwise flat".

One final thing. The race pack at vegas is like Xmas morning as is prob the best of any event in NZ. And vegas spot prizes are brilliant.
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Lynskey on Wed 8/Jul/09 2:40pm

Cheers for the responses guys, wicked feedback. As its my first crack at the distance I'm not gunna kid myself with "my swim split will be this" and "I will run at this pace off the bike", all the experienced athletes I've talked to have given the same advice: for the first attempt just focus on finishing. Having said that I'm obviously wanting to have nothing left in the tank on the finish line. Sounds like Rotorua would be a challenge, but isn't that the whole point? If I don't have any expectations for my splits, then I reckon that shouldn't have too much bearing on my choice. I will be training in Wellington at this stage, so I guess I could just gear my training toward hills from the outset - theres no shortage of them around these parts.

My swim is rubbish so I'm just looking to survive that aspect, apart from that my biking is okay - training in wellington has given me a certain fondness for hills, especially kicking round the MTB trails on a SS, likewise with my running, have knocked off a few big hilly bastard runs around wgtn (triple peaks (wrights, makara, johnstons) and town -> red rocks -> te kopahou -> hawkins) so i'm no stranger to the uphill grind.

Sounds like Vegas could be the goer? What might you compare the climbs in the bike leg to in Welliz, if you know?
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Bergkamp on Wed 8/Jul/09 2:50pm

You'll be absolutely sweet for the hills. The run in nowhere near as tough as the routes you've mentioned. Climbs I'd say:

Climb out of transition - a slightly shorter Mt Vic or Makara from the Karori side (not that hard really);
Hell's Gate (either side) a straight Ngaio; and
Tawawera Road - Prison Hill, but harder (and right at the end of the 90km).

Not even remotely accurate, but the best I can do off the top of my head.

And if you're struggling with swimming, I couldn't swim at the start of 2008, and got through it fine. Definitely get some lessons - I can recommend the Gliding On! course, which is mostly run out of Huia in Lower Hutt, but sometime outs of Kilbirnie.

I miss Wellington's hills - nothing comparable in the 'Tron, unfortunately.
Bergkamp

Postby Lynskey on Wed 8/Jul/09 6:20pm

Oh sweet, i'll just throw a bit more Blue Mountains and Paekak Hill Rd into my routes, should be good as. Yeah wellington has some sweet riding once you get past the Hutt Highway.

I think I should be okay with the swim, my mate helped me out with technique and wrote me my swim training plan for the build up, and he won the swim at TGA both times he raced (22mins sort of time) so I trust his word :p - I would be keen to get into a squad of sorts but the ones I've scoped out around here are so bloody expensive ($12/session sort of thing). I just need to do the hard miles so I can come out of the water still feeling fresh.

Rotorua sounds cool though, definitely appreciate all the advice you guys have provided :D
Lynskey

Postby tricks121 on Thu 9/Jul/09 9:21am

I've done both and Vegas is great. I train in Welly and found ALL the hills helpful in training for Rotorua.

I'm likely to do Taupo this year as I can't be bothered with the hills any more!

Good luck and enjoy, Rotorua is GREAT!
tricks121
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Lynskey on Fri 10/Jul/09 1:27pm

Also, Bergkamp, whats the reason behind the larger size tri top?
Lynskey

Postby Bergkamp on Fri 10/Jul/09 1:32pm

They are tiny. I'm normally a small mens', but the small was too small, and a large, which I got off a friend, was only just too big. So go a size up.
Bergkamp

Postby tricks121 on Fri 10/Jul/09 3:16pm

Bergkamp wrote:They are tiny. I'm normally a small mens', but the small was too small, and a large, which I got off a friend, was only just too big. So go a size up.

Yep, the elastic on the waist band sucks for smallness.
tricks121
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Lynskey on Wed 22/Jul/09 1:51pm

Just got an email from the Tauranga organisers re: waitlist. They say that last year over 200 people on the waitlist were able to race due to people pulling out from injury/personal circumstances etc. Now I checked my waitlist placing and I'm number 30, to me those odds sound pretty good, HOWEVER, my question becomes; does Rotorua sell out?

Obviously I wouldn't want to wait for Tauranga only to find that I missed the Rotorua entry AND missed the Tauranga entry, thereby having no race to do. But if Rotorua doesn't sell out, as in its guaranteed to not sell out, then I don't see the harm in waiting to see about the waitlist and just doing my build up as per normal.

Also they only said 200 athletes, so they didn't specify if they were from the Individual or Team category, so it may be the case that a lot of teams pulled out and not so many individuals.

Thoughts?
Lynskey

Postby 1scotty1 on Thu 23/Jul/09 10:59am

You could always do the new karapiro half ironman on 14 November. Swim down the rowing course, bike around the wildlife sanctuary and then run round cambridge including a few laps of the main drag. Sounds a good event. Have a look at Sportzhub for info.
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Lynskey on Fri 24/Jul/09 2:37pm

Mmmm, its already cutting it fine to take a month off my planned training (Rotorua) so I don't think November would be too wise, does anybody know if Roto does sell out?
Lynskey

Postby slidecontrol on Fri 24/Jul/09 2:40pm

not so far, it's only 3 years old though and gaining popularity. Probably not likely to sell out though.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Lynskey on Fri 24/Jul/09 4:48pm

Sweet as, cheers.

I guess I'll wait and see for a little while then, I suspect Tauranga would be the better call and since i'm only 30th on the Waitlist then I have a decent chance.

Anyone else doing Tri training around Wgl?
Lynskey

Multisport | Triathlons - Latest Posts