Taupo Beckons

Postby SaturnReturn on Wed 20/Aug/08 10:06pm

Ello people :) So Taupo looms ever closer. While only 3 months away (and a bit) I thought I would start a thread on how people are going with their prep (if you seasoned riders even need it!). As a fresh newbie to the road scene I certianly do.

Keen to hear everyones thoughts on the ride, what to expect, energy/hydration methods? I think that would be helpful to all first timers like myself!
SaturnReturn
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Roma on Wed 20/Aug/08 10:20pm

I did Taupo for the first time last year; I only started cycling in June last year. I found it pretty easy to be honest, there's only really 2 hills of any significance so as long as you can pace yourself for the distance it's not too hard a ride. Prior to Taupo the longest ride I had done was about 130km, but I had trained with 100-120km rides that will a lot hillier than Taupo.

There's heaps of support along the way with water/leppin refills and skooters buzzing around, so it's a good ride to test your limits without risk of getting stranded too.

Do lots of long training rides in the weekends leading up so you get accustomed to how much water you need, how much you need to eat and how fast you can go without burning out half way through.
Roma
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 20/Aug/08 10:24pm

5-6 hours of hard work on undulating roads. But expect plenty of motivation with big numbers of riders.

What do people do for hydration. I assume there are water stations but I would suggest having someone to hand up bottles and food at 2-3 points on the course so you don't have to slow down (hard on the legs).

Not sure if this is practical or possible within the rules. But with anticipated 5-6 large bidons over the race the odd nature break may also be on the cards.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Wed 20/Aug/08 10:32pm

Its a fun day out.
Don't stress too much, the hills are only for the first 90 odd km(except for the big one 20km from the end) and there are plenty of places for water(evey 40km at least).
You can always stop at BK in turangi too. :thumbsup:

I'm probably doing the 320 again but wondering about the 640. :crazy:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Spyder on Wed 20/Aug/08 10:34pm

I did Brunner (130k) having only ridden 100k a couple of times and then similarly for S2S (160k) having not ridden further than 130k. Just don't get sucked in to going out too fast. Far better psychologically to be moving "forward" through the group than "backwards". I use a Camelback for those rides, but you will have to be prepared to cop some disparaging looks from "proper cyclists".
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Roma on Wed 20/Aug/08 10:34pm

There is rows of portaloos in sections, usually next to water/leppin refill stations. I'm pretty sure the spots they are at will be both marked on the ride map given out too.
Roma
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 20/Aug/08 10:42pm

znomit wrote:
You can always stop at BK in turangi too. :thumbsup:

Good for intimidating other cyclists in the group when halfway up Hatepe you whip out and start munching on a double bacon cheeseburger too. :p
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 20/Aug/08 10:56pm

Hmmm, I love double bacon cheesebugers. Hmm that explains a lot.

Yeah I went out too hard in Brunner last year. The last 30km were murder. Think I should know better.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby Conners on Wed 20/Aug/08 11:17pm

Fergie wrote: 5-6 hours of hard work on undulating roads. But expect plenty of motivation with big numbers of riders.

What do people do for hydration. I assume there are water stations but I would suggest having someone to hand up bottles and food at 2-3 points on the course so you don't have to slow down (hard on the legs).

Not sure if this is practical or possible within the rules. But with anticipated 5-6 large bidons over the race the odd nature break may also be on the cards.

Yeah nah.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 20/Aug/08 11:34pm

Can't believe i'm saying this but Hydro Pak?
Fergie

Postby Conners on Wed 20/Aug/08 11:37pm

The only year I've done Taupo was 06 (I think) and it was frikking freezing - only needed two bottles for just under 5 hours :crazy:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby SaturnReturn on Thu 21/Aug/08 7:33am

oh so do they actually have leppin on hand to give you at the water stops?? I thought it was just water so was going to use the gels etc etc most likely (less fuss - just wash em down with water). Food for thought either way :thumbsup:

yeah I thought about taking the Cameback but wonder how it would feel on my back for 160 as opposed to two bottles on the bike racks - probably like a lead weights up Hatepe from what i have heard!!! Having said that would be good to store lil things like a jacket should the weather be marginal :crazy:
SaturnReturn

Postby johnL on Thu 21/Aug/08 8:17am

at hatape you wont have two full bottles on your bike, the power loss from dehydration far outweighs the loss from extra weight!!
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Lambretta on Thu 21/Aug/08 8:21am

I've just decided to give Taupo a miss this year, I could probably rock up on inadequate training and match last year's 5.30 but I'm not going unless 4.45 is a real possibility.

Last year, which wasn't particularly hot, I took two bidons (one in jersey pocket) and a bottle of powerade which I finished first and biffed the bottle (TdF styley!). It was quite a relief after only 40k's or so to get the third bottle onto the bike so god knows what a camelbak would be like for the full race.

The two bidons got me to the water station at the top of Hatepe where I was able to stop and get a refill of one and still catch my bunch back on the downhill.

I'd definitely use that strategy again, unless I had a support crew. Avanti Mt Eden were doing a bottle service last year, drop your dry bottle with whatever powder in to the shop before the race, and it was waiting for you at the top of Kuratau.
Lambretta
"I beg your pardon, I never promised you a beer garden."
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby SaturnReturn on Thu 21/Aug/08 8:35am

Yeah John L, If I hadn't consumed much water goin up Hatepe I would be alittle concerned so certainly don't expect to have two full bottles going up there!
SaturnReturn

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts