Re: Taupo Beckons

Postby foremannz on Fri 16/Oct/15 8:25am

Yep, I'm doing the solo this year, 2nd time doing it, but only trying to go under 7 hours.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby 13daza on Fri 16/Oct/15 10:40pm

yeah I'm having another crack at it round two this year, my time last year sucked shit I got stuck at bulli point with cramp, waited till it sorted itself out watched what seemed like hundreds of people riding past, had a stretch and a feed then smashed it up Hatepe hill having had a long rest (albeit somewhat uncomfortable) before hitting the hill.Was grinning like a loon for the photographer when I got to the top cause I had just noticed I still had two gears left having thought I was in my lowest gear all the way up ,the guy behind me had said a few times that I should change down a gear , I just thought he was being a smartarse .

I keep telling myself that I enjoy challenges, Maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment :sly:
13daza
Member for: 3 years 8 months

Postby foremannz on Sat 17/Oct/15 7:24am

One thing I did was continually eat and drink, little and often, every 15 minutes often! It seemed to work, I'd never biked that long ever!
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby 13daza on Thu 22/Oct/15 11:07pm

yeah I ate and drank a lot as well, maybe drank too much cause I had to stop twice to pee as well lol.
It was my first time round last year as well and having only been cycling (and excercising) for 18 months prior to the event after a twelve year binge of couch potatoeness it was a pretty steep training curve leading up to the day I did it in 6 hrs 45 which I guess isnt too bad considering 18 months prior I weighed in at 136 kg and a brisk walk to the letter box was a puff fest (my first ten km ride took me 45 minutes and had me asleep on the couch for three hours ) .
I really wasnt expecting cramps I did a few rides out to about 120-140 in the weeks leading up to it with no problems, I think maybe I went a bit too hard in the first 80 km on the hills I hadnt had issue with cramping before or nor since, despite the cramping and sore legs etc I really enjoyed the day and booked my accomodation two days after getting home .
I'm definately much fitter and stronger than I was last year with several thousand more km under my legs so it will be interesting to see how I go (my missus says it had better be an improvement or she will be reviewing my cycling budget) :)
13daza
Member for: 3 years 8 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts