Re: Taupo Beckons

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 20/Jul/14 4:52pm

wachtourak wrote:Does your single speed have a flat bar?

yes it has a flat style bar. FSA Metropolis bar. It was spun up high rise style like in the below pic, but now I've got it flipped over (I've also taken the freeload and the mud guards off for the moment)
20x30-TCCC1100.jpeg
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 20/Jul/14 4:55pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:I don't know if I will ride the MTB event this year. I have been toying with a lap of the lake (maybe 2) on the single speed

2 laps??? That's crazy talk!!! :lol:

Probably, but at least I should get to ride by myself for a while
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby michael on Sun 20/Jul/14 8:35pm

pushbikerider wrote:
michael wrote:Ever so slightly off topic, I'm thinking of entering the mountain bike bit this year, any one have any thoughts on the distance, between cruiser, steamer and challenge distances?

The middle distance is new for this year, I havn't looked a the course map, but I presume that it takes out the biggest climb out the back and the related trails, which might make it a pretty fun ride.

The short distance isn't that great a ride, you don't get that much single track, its just down to the dam and back up.

The long course is a decent day out IMHO, lots of climbing and a-lot of undulating single track whichyou have to work quite hard on to keep flowing. but a nice challenge to knock off.

I don't know if I will ride the MTB event this year. I have been toying with a lap of the lake (maybe 2) on the single speed

Thank you! that is I think what I want to hear! Bravado says do 85km, common sense says 60km (and 85 next time around), 60km also seems to have the best name.

And go double lap! :thumbsup:
michael
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 20/Jul/14 9:21pm

which ever you decide to do, have fun, enjoy the singletrack and if its looking like a hot day, take lots of water
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby thelivo on Sun 20/Jul/14 11:04pm

pushbikerider wrote:which ever you decide to do, have fun, enjoy the singletrack and if its looking like a hot day, take lots of water

This the year I did it it was f*&^ing hot and for a lot of it there is NO shade.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 16/Sep/15 3:24pm

Hmmm... anyone else having issues with the Taupo website? www.cyclechallenge.com

It's been a few years between rides up at the lake but a mate who lives up there has convinced me to have a crack at one of the mountain bike options (maybe the 60km). Go and try to enter and the website is down. :angry:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Wed 16/Sep/15 3:39pm

Tugboat wrote:Hmmm... anyone else having issues with the Taupo website? http://www.cyclechallenge.com

It's been a few years between rides up at the lake but a mate who lives up there has convinced me to have a crack at one of the mountain bike options (maybe the 60km). Go and try to enter and the website is down. :angry:

Yep - no workie for me - looks like they are having issues
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 16/Sep/15 4:54pm

Figures... I probably won't feel like doing it by the time they fix it! :D
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby foremannz on Wed 16/Sep/15 5:44pm

Its working for me atm, but when I checked it a few days ago it was broken badly LOL
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Tugboat on Thu 15/Oct/15 10:03am

Who else is doing Taupo this year?

I'm making a return for my 6th time at the event, but first since 2010. No lap of the lake this time though. Bringing the MTB and having a crack at the 60km Huka Steamer.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby znomit on Thu 15/Oct/15 2:01pm

This explains all the roadies out this week.
znomit

Postby dave_sharpe on Thu 15/Oct/15 9:58pm

znomit wrote:This explains all the roadies out this week.

How many bottles were they rocking?
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 1 month

Postby Sims on Thu 15/Oct/15 10:56pm

How would you contemplate Taupo, if you were terrified of riding in pack... in a mass start? :blush:
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Thu 15/Oct/15 11:17pm

Sims wrote:How would you contemplate Taupo, if you were terrified of riding in pack... in a mass start? :blush:

The two lap enduro ( no, not that enduro) of course. Only about 80 riders.
znomit

Postby wachtourak on Fri 16/Oct/15 6:56am

Sims wrote:How would you contemplate Taupo, if you were terrified of riding in pack... in a mass start? :blush:

It's not that bad, I ride road bikes but never actually ride in bunches because I like riding by myself mostly, just sit on the outside and near the front of the bunch at all times. Inside of the bunch and nearer the back is where all the stupid happens. I made the mistake of drifting back a couple of times when I did it a few years ago and had mongs crash in front of me twice, for absolutely no reason. Bear in mind you will likely also be heaps faster than most of the people around you, as roadies love to overestimate how fast they are. You can easily use this to your advantage, but you may find it frustrating, especially near the end when I could not for the life of me find a decent bunch with good pace, I ended up solo-ing from Turangi more or less because lots of people thought they would finish in time x of my start group but actually were nowhere near that pace...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts