Re: Taupo Beckons

Postby Barbsarama on Thu 27/Mar/14 8:38pm

What are you trying to say :exclaim:
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby LaPommeDeTere on Sat 29/Mar/14 1:06pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:I found I got less flats with gp4000s' than gatorskins. no idea why. wouldn't change back.

Conti have just launched the new V2 Gp's, which they are saying will give improved life and puncture protection.

http://www.bikebug.com/tyres-continenta ... -6095.html
LaPommeDeTere
Member for: 4 years 5 months

Postby znomit on Sat 29/Mar/14 1:15pm

Quite a bit cheaper at starbike. Waiting for the reflective 28c…
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby foremannz on Sat 29/Mar/14 4:37pm

I'm thinking I might switch to a GP4000 II for open road riding ...
foremannz

Postby slumdog on Mon 31/Mar/14 3:49pm

LaPommeDeTere wrote:
Klarkash-ton wrote:I found I got less flats with gp4000s' than gatorskins. no idea why. wouldn't change back.

Conti have just launched the new V2 Gp's, which they are saying will give improved life and puncture protection.

http://www.bikebug.com/tyres-continenta ... -6095.html

I'm riding v2's and notice no difference, in fact they may be cutting earlier, YMMV... I would buy v1's on special if possible.
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby michael on Thu 17/Jul/14 3:11pm

Ever so slightly off topic, I'm thinking of entering the mountain bike bit this year, any one have any thoughts on the distance, between cruiser, steamer and challenge distances?
michael
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby foremannz on Fri 18/Jul/14 6:28am

Well, I've paid up for the solo, albeit the slow bastards group!
foremannz

Postby slumdog on Fri 18/Jul/14 12:47pm

michael wrote:Ever so slightly off topic, I'm thinking of entering the mountain bike bit this year, any one have any thoughts on the distance, between cruiser, steamer and challenge distances?

I've done Taupo 150k road, and Karapoti 50k mtb, and I'd say the mtb was much harder. If you are asking for the actual distances, they're on the web.

Know a lady that did the long MTB last year in like 7hrs. Said it was real tough.
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby Farm on Fri 18/Jul/14 12:58pm

foremannz wrote:Well, I've paid up for the solo, albeit the slow bastards group!

I've only ridden it once and I went in the slow group. I think people tend to put themselves in a faster paced group than they're actually planning on riding.
I went in a 5.30-6 hour group (I think) and found that hardly anyone I started with intended to ride it in that time. So I spent all day hopping from group to group and didn't find a group going at the pace I wanted until I was on the way back down the homeward side of the lake.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby foremannz on Fri 18/Jul/14 8:21pm

Farm wrote:
foremannz wrote:Well, I've paid up for the solo, albeit the slow bastards group!

I've only ridden it once and I went in the slow group. I think people tend to put themselves in a faster paced group than they're actually planning on riding.
I went in a 5.30-6 hour group (I think) and found that hardly anyone I started with intended to ride it in that time. So I spent all day hopping from group to group and didn't find a group going at the pace I wanted until I was on the way back down the homeward side of the lake.

I'm banking on 20km/h at the worst, 25km/h ideal, and those both fitted into 1 group, so fingers crossed I can stay with the main group ...
foremannz

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 18/Jul/14 10:05pm

michael wrote:Ever so slightly off topic, I'm thinking of entering the mountain bike bit this year, any one have any thoughts on the distance, between cruiser, steamer and challenge distances?

The middle distance is new for this year, I havn't looked a the course map, but I presume that it takes out the biggest climb out the back and the related trails, which might make it a pretty fun ride.

The short distance isn't that great a ride, you don't get that much single track, its just down to the dam and back up.

The long course is a decent day out IMHO, lots of climbing and a-lot of undulating single track whichyou have to work quite hard on to keep flowing. but a nice challenge to knock off.

I don't know if I will ride the MTB event this year. I have been toying with a lap of the lake (maybe 2) on the single speed
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby wachtourak on Sat 19/Jul/14 7:54am

Does your single speed have a flat bar?
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Sat 19/Jul/14 9:22am

pushbikerider wrote:I don't know if I will ride the MTB event this year. I have been toying with a lap of the lake (maybe 2) on the single speed

2 laps??? That's crazy talk!!! :lol:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Sat 19/Jul/14 9:40am

pushbikerider wrote:I have been toying with a lap of the lake (maybe 2) on the single speed

:thumbsup:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 19/Jul/14 9:42am

wachtourak wrote:Does your single speed have a flat bar?

Not if he pumps it up :D
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts