Tandem Healing - What To Do?

Postby slowMTB on Sat 3/Jan/15 11:06am

Ok, stop laughing.
My Daughter was looking for a Retro bike for her to do skidz on. We came across a Tandem Healing on Tardme and she went for it.

Now the important bits;

We are having trouble finding any info on them, anyone got some?
It is basically complete, chrome not in good shape ( may just paint it ), frame got a fair bit of surface rust but it is all sound ( looking to paint this as well ).
The rear drum brake is average, can you still buy shoes for them?

Been for a decent ride on it already and it goes well, everything works.

slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Re: Tandem Healing - What To Do?

Postby wpp1 on Sat 3/Jan/15 4:02pm

First thing to do is re-grease all the wheel bearings and bottom bracket and headset. I restored an old Healing ten speed and although the wheels spun ok, I found that all the grease had gone hard and would have quickly worn out the bearings. spun even better with new grease.
wpp1
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby el_booto on Sat 3/Jan/15 4:20pm

Jif and steel wool will refresh the chrome that can be saved, rustkill and paint the rest, grease and bearings in all rolling/rotating things, and the currently average drum brake can be made better with a little sandpaper and specific know-how (which I have and am happy to share)

New cables would be worth doing too, the original ones were average at best

Have fun with the restoration, make sure she gets involved :thumbsup:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 3/Jan/15 4:51pm

Cool :cool:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby slowMTB on Sat 3/Jan/15 6:37pm

Thanks for the replies peeps , keep em coming.

I am not so sure about AgrAde's suggestion though :o , I am not sure if the bike or me ( Pilot ) and my daughter ( Stoker ) would rattle apart first :blink:
slowMTB

Postby znomit on Sat 3/Jan/15 6:43pm

Start training for Taupo.
How many bottle mounts does it have?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 3/Jan/15 7:10pm

You might be able to get the old shoes resoled, they used to do that for cars and motorbikes.

The drum brake is a huge historical feature, those are very rare as they were only used for serious loaded touring.
You can likely improve it by greasing it's camming surfaces with high melting point grease. What make is it?

Is the rear rim aluminium and is it a clincher (hooked to hold the bead), or is it straight sided?

The front rim looks like 27" steel, straight sided. Braking will be much improved if you can find a 27" alu rim. It needs to be wide though or else the tyre bulges out too much and you can't get an inflated tyre past the brake blocks.
700C will fit too, there is room to drop the brake blocks by 4mm. A strong 29er with disk brake would be nice.

Age would be early 80s. There is likely a date on the quill of the stem, and two letter date codes on components.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sat 3/Jan/15 11:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Sat 3/Jan/15 8:10pm

If you can't get the drum brake sorted how about getting some disc brake tabs welded on? :eh:
More saferer.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby neels on Sun 4/Jan/15 6:42pm

I've got a 27x 1 1/4 front wheel with the chrome in reasonable nick sitting in the garage. A bit worn on the braking surfaces and a couple of dings, seems to spin ok, yours if you want it.

Should be some other old ten speed bits somewhere if I knew where to look for them....
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 5/Jan/15 9:58pm

neels wrote:I've got a 27x 1 1/4 front wheel with the chrome in reasonable nick sitting in the garage. A bit worn on the braking surfaces and a couple of dings, seems to spin ok, yours if you want it.

Should be some other old ten speed bits somewhere if I knew where to look for them....

Appreciate the offer 'neels' but our boik has aluminium rims.

I have looked up standard 10spd's and the spec on them is waaaaaay different. This thing has one piece forged aluminium cranks ( Sugino ) with Shimano alloy chain rings among other things :ib:

I will investigate further ...
slowMTB

Postby neels on Mon 5/Jan/15 10:55pm

slowMTB wrote:
neels wrote:I've got a 27x 1 1/4 front wheel with the chrome in reasonable nick sitting in the garage. A bit worn on the braking surfaces and a couple of dings, seems to spin ok, yours if you want it.

Appreciate the offer 'neels' but our boik has aluminium rims.

I have looked up standard 10spd's and the spec on them is waaaaaay different. This thing has one piece forged aluminium cranks ( Sugino ) with Shimano alloy chain rings among other things :ib:

I will investigate further ...

Flash, I'll hang the wheel back up in the garage for a few more years. ;)

Alloy chainrings on a bog standard 10 speed seems unusual, I wonder if it was higher spec from new or it's had a few upgrades in it's life. Either way, cool bike and happy riding.

It does look a bit sexist though, the frame design seems to assume that the man will be on the front and the woman will be on the back.....
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 6/Jan/15 12:24pm

The rear hub may well be wider than a standard road hub, so you can't just drop in another wheel.
If replacing the tyre, wide is good because the stoker can't see bumps coming.

Those cranks are not used in other Healings. They look like Sugino Mighty Tour, they are in the 1973 catalog. I think they were made until about the early 80s. They have 110mm BCD, standard compact size. The standard dual BB for them is 116mm with 3.5mm offset.
They would have been specced to allow a pair of small chainwheels to be used on the front. That might be because the frames would not have a dent on the left chainstay to allow a big chainwheel, and they wouldn't want to add one because flexing is already a problem there even if it wasn't a tandem. Also they have to find cranks which give the right chainline on both sides with an available BB, and which don't put the pedals too far out since that is extra important if running out of phase cranks.

The front rings look like 36T, they are likely BMX rings designed for chain retention and durability, not shifting. You can rotate them to even out the wear, then swap back to front to obtain brand new teeth to suit a new chain.
If replacing, bigger rings will last longer so long as they fit.

You can reduce wear on the entire rear drive train (including BB, spokes, tyre) by running your cranks somewhat out of phase.
Up to 30 degrees might be safe for beginners. 45 degrees is a popular compromise for more experienced riders.
90 degrees is for experts - it gives minimum wear and helps climbing but requires the captain to be aware of the rear pedal position to avoid catastrophic pedal strike on curbs and corners, especially if the BB is not ideal for the cranks or you don't have low profile pedals.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby slowMTB on Tue 6/Jan/15 6:03pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:The rear hub may well be wider than a standard road hub, so you can't just drop in another wheel.
If replacing the tyre, wide is good because the stoker can't see bumps coming.

Those cranks are not used in other Healings. They look like Sugino Mighty Tour, they are in the 1973 catalog. I think they were made until about the early 80s. They have 110mm BCD, standard compact size. The standard dual BB for them is 116mm with 3.5mm offset.
They would have been specced to allow a pair of small chainwheels to be used on the front. That might be because the frames would not have a dent on the left chainstay to allow a big chainwheel, and they wouldn't want to add one because flexing is already a problem there even if it wasn't a tandem. Also they have to find cranks which give the right chainline on both sides with an available BB, and which don't put the pedals too far out since that is extra important if running out of phase cranks.

The front rings look like 36T, they are likely BMX rings designed for chain retention and durability, not shifting. You can rotate them to even out the wear, then swap back to front to obtain brand new teeth to suit a new chain.
If replacing, bigger rings will last longer so long as they fit.

You can reduce wear on the entire rear drive train (including BB, spokes, tyre) by running your cranks somewhat out of phase.
Up to 30 degrees might be safe for beginners. 45 degrees is a popular compromise for more experienced riders.
90 degrees is for experts - it gives minimum wear and helps climbing but requires the captain to be aware of the rear pedal position to avoid catastrophic pedal strike on curbs and corners, especially if the BB is not ideal for the cranks or you don't have low profile pedals.

Cheerz, you are right on the money - Sugino Mighty Tour :)

Left side coupled chain wheels 36T Sugino
Right side chain wheels Sugino 36T and Sugino 48T

Brakes Shimano Tourney
Shimano VIA hub front
HAIR hub rear - #82-31 (wonder if that is a manufacturing date / batch #?
ARAYA rims

I know for some it is a little hard to get excited about what is a fairly mundane old bike, but it seems as though it may be a little unique.
I am almost as excited about it as I am about my Holdsworth :D
slowMTB

Postby slowMTB on Tue 6/Jan/15 6:06pm

znomit wrote:Start training for Taupo.
How many bottle mounts does it have?

Taupo - ummmmmmm ...
Bottles - I think I could get at least 10 on there :o
slowMTB

Cycling | Retro Bicycles - Latest Posts