Talkback Tuesday: Websites Vs. Mags - Does It Even Matter?

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Wed 19/Aug/15 7:23am

Dirt Magazine shut up shop.

Well, not quite...

One of the most colourful, unpretentious, balls-out magazines about riding a bike went web-only this quarter. There’ll be lots of noises about original content and fresh stuff, but really it’ll probably be just another web-zine with the same re-hashed articles corralled from Facebook and social media, more nontent that does nothing but attempt to encourage repeat visits and unfortunately a crew of people behind the scenes will feel their morale getting lower and lower while trying to forget this isn’t what they signed up for.

I genuinely mourn for the magazine, and here’s why.

When I was a grom I grew up in rural South Otago, there wasn’t the internet. Actually, there WAS but it consisted of six dial-up lines heading out from what can best be described as a computer shop running a small-time ISP.

MAG-MB-1293-LG.jpg
Dat Shockwave

To get my fix I visited the local Paper Plus and used my paper-run money to buy Mountain Bike Magazine (NOT Mountain Bike Action - ugh!) It had a bunch of awesome photos from the Norba series and world cups, but more importantly to me, it had a great bunch of writers. Zapata Espinoza was the editor, a bit of a leftie ranting about conspicuous consumption in a magazine that actively promoted it. He was backed up by a couple of solid writers in Captain Dondo and Dan Koeppell, guys who at the time didn't really fit the marketeers definition of what a 'mountain-biker' was. Guys who really loved their craft and worked hard at it.

As the internet hit, the magazine was folded into another bland title "Bicycling" - then disappeared altogether.

And that was it, it sucked.

What's disappointing about it and the loss of Dirt is that their demise has nothing to do with the publication's quality itself, but rather a symptom of being owned by conglomerates that seek nothing more than to squeeze every last cent out of their investments.

For me, nothing will ever compare opening the cover to take in the smell of glossy paper and quality imagery. Today's websites seem to be little more than content aggregators, the bulk of the content creators themselves aren't even professionals but guys that do it in their spare time because they don't get paid in page-views.

(hey, anyone sensing any irony here?)

However, I'm aware that a lot of people love the modern-day website, speed and accessibility to information is king, and of course, best of all - FREE.

My question for today is: What do you prefer? Magazines or websites?
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Talkback Tuesday: Websites Vs. Mags - Does It Even Matter?

Postby Scotty on Wed 19/Aug/15 7:39am

Whoops, didn't untick the "post as melissa" button :blush:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 19/Aug/15 7:39am

I still relish receiving my Spoke magazine in the mail box every few months. I'll often forget it's due and so it's a pleasant surprise in what may be an otherwise dull week.

One of the things I don't like about websites like pinkbikeradarmtbretc is finding content that's worth reading. And their forums! Too big & way too many imbeciles. Vorb is good cos it's small.

I also used to like Mountain Bike, getting it from the library every month til it's demise. MBAction just didn't cut the mustard. MBR was OK for a while. There's been one or 2 web only ones I've enjoyed, but I've seemingly forgotten about them now... The Ride Journal is kinda awesome, but only the free backdated ones
Last edited by swtchbckr on Wed 19/Aug/15 7:45am, edited 1 time in total.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 19/Aug/15 7:44am

Richie Cunningham who used to write for Mountain Bike Action is one of the writers for Pinkbike these days.

I wonder if they use cutesy and cool names for each other at Pinkbike like MBA did?

That magazine was everything Mountain Bike wasn't.
Scotty

Postby NickCW on Wed 19/Aug/15 9:00am

Get Spoke reguarly, love it.

I think both mediums have their advantages. Web content generally seems more disposable, but also has the bonus of being super current and the ability to showcase different mediums (I'm pretty much just talking about vitalmtbs brilliant DH coverage and Svens photography/soundbites)

A mag is a bit behind the 8 ball, but on the flipside I'm inclined to pour over articles and photography for way longer.
It's always awesome reading them 5-10 years later too for lols
Mags also have to think a bit about their content, generally someone has taken the time to form an opinion / tell a story rather than regurgitating a press release and gunning on a clickbait title (die bikerumor)

Man I'll miss dirt in print, always loved Steve Jones rambling semi-incoherent but very passionate DH bike reviews going on about 'the shape and the purpose.' Always the first thing I'd flick to

I hope they don't get lost in the white noise of the internet
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 19/Aug/15 9:25am

I used to like dirt but I think it went to custard a bit, every mag seemed to end up with an article sooking about the internet and the latest and greatest xyz bike that was better than bike abc they reviewed last month which itself was better than the prior months bike.

The biggest one that annoyed me a bit was I think the mondraker sumonesmum about how awesome it was and didnt need any silly shocks like some of the crapier bikes they rode in the past and they pretty much slagged off every dh bike they had reviewed for the last few years. Which at the time was fantastic bikes etc.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 19/Aug/15 10:28am

NickCW wrote:Get Spoke reguarly, love it.

Used to love Spoke, then they toddled down the path of free swag and reviews. Used to be about the ride, became about the bits. :hmmm:
Scotty

Postby dwgknz on Wed 19/Aug/15 12:45pm

Scotty wrote:
NickCW wrote:Get Spoke reguarly, love it.

Used to love Spoke, then they toddled down the path of free swag and reviews. Used to be about the ride, became about the bits. :hmmm:

Got to earn the junkets somehow
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 19/Aug/15 6:09pm

If people offered us swag we'd take it. We're very flexible with our morals. :lol:
Scotty

Postby dwgknz on Wed 19/Aug/15 6:15pm

It was reading this article on NSMB that I realised that Spoke had hit the big league

http://nsmb.com/uncle-dave-eats-27-5-crow/

I don't imagine you'd pass up a trip to Utah on something so trivial as journalistic integrity!!
Last edited by dwgknz on Wed 19/Aug/15 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwgknz

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 19/Aug/15 6:16pm

Scotty wrote:Whoops, didn't untick the "post as melissa" button :blush:

you mean she's not real?????????? :cry:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 19/Aug/15 8:27pm

Wobbler wrote:I used to like dirt but I think it went to custard a bit, every mag seemed to end up with an article sooking about the internet and the latest and greatest xyz bike that was better than bike abc they reviewed last month which itself was better than the prior months bike.

The biggest one that annoyed me a bit was I think the mondraker sumonesmum about how awesome it was and didnt need any silly shocks like some of the crapier bikes they rode in the past and they pretty much slagged off every dh bike they had reviewed for the last few years. Which at the time was fantastic bikes etc.

Nah wasn't the Mongdraker, wasn't it the Morewood Makulu? Cause they had to stop jacking off Oranges because they put a linkage in one of their proto ones and they hated on linkages so they had to find some other bike without a linkage.

I stopped buying in about 2009 or so, when all their reviews just started being a bunch of hyperbolic words/superlatives strung together with no actual real information about the bike and what was good, what sucked etc, what kinda terrain it worked best on and what sort of rider it suited and whatnot
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 19/Aug/15 8:51pm

To be honest, my biggest issue is the lack of decent journalism.

I don't care whether it is on web or print as long as it is insightful and offers the reader something to think about. Lately I've read a few reviews which felt like Marvin from THHGTTG wrote them. Presenting a product in a boring way and offering no opinions or insights of any value.

Engage the readers people!
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Bigfoot on Thu 20/Aug/15 4:35am

Dougal wrote:To be honest, my biggest issue is the lack of decent journalism.

I don't care whether it is on web or print as long as it is insightful and offers the reader something to think about. Lately I've read a few reviews which felt like Marvin from THHGTTG wrote them. Presenting a product in a boring way and offering no opinions or insights of any value.

Engage the readers people!

:withstupid:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 20/Aug/15 8:35am

NSMB are trying to convince everyone they don't lie.

http://nsmb.com/the-media-is-corrupt/

Comment number one nails, you say you don't lie yet how do we know you're simply not lying about that.
dwgknz

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | Mountain Biking | News | Road Bikes - Latest Posts