So should the law be changed to allow kids to ride on the footpath?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total voters : 25

Re: Talkback Tuesday:should Kids Be Allowed To Ride On Footpaths

Postby philstar on Wed 18/May/16 12:31am

AgrAde wrote:Cars emerge from behind a fence and are instantly blocking the footpath. If you're moving at 20kmph down a footpath, you have approximately zero time between seeing the car and smashing into it. If you're on the road, you'll see the car as it emerges from behind the fence, at least 3m from your path. And it'll probably stop before it gets to the road.

the same applies for the cars viability zone, bad on the footpath as it is blocked by the fence (etc) good on the road . and cars tend to coem out of driveways and stop when they get to the edge of the road not the edge of the foot path or even where they can see.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Wed 18/May/16 11:01am

philstar wrote:the same applies for the cars visibility zone, bad on the footpath as it is blocked by the fence (etc) good on the road . and cars tend to coem out of driveways and stop when they get to the edge of the road not the edge of the foot path or even where they can see.

This is so true, but its very sad that we live in a world where it's okay to reverse you car out on the off chance that there'll be no-one using the footpath. But what's even sadder is the fact we have to put Ads. on the TV to remind people to not run over their own kids ON the driveway.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Slapparoo on Wed 18/May/16 1:01pm

For my 2 cents, for road safety anyone should be allowed to ride on the footpath just impose a speed limit.

If we look at the issues they are as usual all caused by cars,
* car doors
* cars coming in and out of drive ways

Restricting cycle access to the footpath does not address the issue, restricting vehicle access to it would, but as we know that is not a viable solution. So prison for any one in a motor vehicle that doors a cyclist and prison for any vehicle driver who crashes with a cyclist on the footpath.
Slapparoo
Member for: 2 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 18/May/16 5:14pm

The door problem is more of a problem with cyclist habits than it is a problem with people opening their doors, if you ignore the problem with the road layout (which I'm not saying isn't the main problem). Try replacing the bike with a car and see who's fault you think it is then.

Cyclist rides 6 inches from the wing mirror of a line of parked cars, gets doored - cyclist says "fucking drivers! look before you open your door into the cycle lane!"
Put cyclist in a car, ask them to drive at 35kmph 6 inches away from a line of parked cars - cyclist says "No that's really dangerous, if a child walks out or someone gets out of their car I won't have time to evade them!"

As for the cars crossing footpaths issue, I think it's stupid to have a blanket law faulting drivers only, and hilariously pathetic and extremist to demand prison. I could be backing out of a blind driveway, get out of my car to check for people before I cross the footpath and see no one, edge out very slowly and still "hit a cyclist" (have a cyclist hit me) who's since appeared from around the corner and is both oblivious and speeding. No fault of the driver, total fault of the cyclist, but the driver has no way to prove that the cyclist was speeding and at fault.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 18/May/16 5:35pm

AgrAde wrote:..., if a child walks out or someone gets out of their car I won't have time to evade them!"

nah, cos on your bike, doing 35 kph 6 inches from the wing mirrors, you have an overview of the situation, being able to see said child prior to them walking out... and as for the person getting out of their car? they should have fricking looked! :D aren't they the ones 'dooring' you - because they didn't check first?? :angry: it's the blaze fuckers, (usually rebuild battlers in white Rangers) that THROW their door open with total and utter disregard and abandon for anyone else. I mean, FFS, how hard is it fucking check and see whether there's a bike coming before you open your door slowly? :blink:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 18/May/16 5:50pm

It's not hard. They just don't know. The responsible cyclist will ride in a manner that makes the entire argument a non-issue.
AgrAde

Postby philstar on Wed 18/May/16 6:05pm

AgrAde wrote:It's not hard. They just don't know. The responsible cyclist will ride in a manner that makes the entire argument a non-issue.

agreed, but the law sates that if you door some it is your fault.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby matnz on Wed 18/May/16 6:40pm

Car reversing out of drive way vs kid riding bike on road does not stop at intersection - car doing legal 50km......
Car reversing out of drive way vs Kid riding on road unexpectedly swerves in front of car doing legal 50km/h.....
Kid walking down foot path, reversing car......
Kid scootering down foot path, reversing car.....
Johnny gets driven to school by mummy in case he gets hit by car reversing out driveway and becomes fat couch potato......
Mummy runs over kid riding bike on foot path as she backs her car out of drive to drop Johnny at school.....

Yeh, reversing cars are a danger, and an accident is a rare but real possibility, but in the big picture scheme of things, the world only has so much cotton wool and the biggest danger is we think we can protect our kids all the time from every possibility and suffocate them....

Kids and Adults should be allowed to ride on footpath. Fortunately cops in NZ use a lot of common sense in this regard -I have lost count of the number of times I have ridden past cops while out on a ride with the boys. No court in New Zealand would convict a 13yo riding to school at a sensible speed, and no insurance company would risk the PR disaster if they tried to recover costs from a kid who rode into a car.

The only reason for a law change is the law does not reflect what actually happens in the real world. There are more important things to put effort into.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 18/May/16 6:53pm

philstar wrote:
AgrAde wrote:It's not hard. They just don't know. The responsible cyclist will ride in a manner that makes the entire argument a non-issue.

agreed, but the law sates that if you door some it is your fault.

Yeah. If we all rode and drove as though everyone else was certain to follow the law, we'd all be dead :(

It would be nice though.
AgrAde

Postby RHR_Rob on Thu 19/May/16 2:55pm

swtchbckr wrote:
AgrAde wrote:..., if a child walks out or someone gets out of their car I won't have time to evade them!"

nah, cos on your bike, doing 35 kph 6 inches from the wing mirrors, you have an overview of the situation, being able to see said child prior to them walking out... and as for the person getting out of their car? they should have fricking looked! :D aren't they the ones 'dooring' you - because they didn't check first?? :angry: it's the blaze fuckers, (usually rebuild battlers in white Rangers) that THROW their door open with total and utter disregard and abandon for anyone else. I mean, FFS, how hard is it fucking check and see whether there's a bike coming before you open your door slowly? :blink:

Remember seeing one of those police motorway programs once, i rate motorist pulls onto hard shoulder with cop car behind, flings his door open and promptly looses it to a 40ton lorry - funny as i thought. unfortunatly a bike is not 40 ton, unless its a FAT bike.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Malcy on Fri 20/May/16 6:53pm

8yo, 35kph? When I look at my Garmin when we are riding to school, CJ is usually clocking a WHOPPING 14kph!

yeah.... I think we're good still
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 20/May/16 7:00pm

Malcy wrote:8yo, 35kph? When I look at my Garmin when we are riding to school, CJ is usually clocking a WHOPPING 14kph!

yeah.... I think we're good still

I dunno, when I was 8 i rode down the hill next to my house and got up to at least 40kmph. If I lived in a city I would have done it on the footpath cos I was a dumb kid with no experience in self preservation.
AgrAde

Postby Malcy on Sat 21/May/16 6:06pm

Flat ride just done, and it was 20kph tops around Oriental Bay. Definitely not the norm for kids to be that fast (35 etc)

So I think that's all exaggeration. AND not helpful for the community if we want to make our kids safer by spouting such fast speeds either.
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby AgrAde on Sat 21/May/16 7:27pm

Are you talking to me? I didn't say anything about kids riding at 35kmph on the footpath originally. I said 20 which you seem to agree with. I said I see people riding at 35 in the cycle lane, 6 inches from wing mirrors.

Give a kid a bmx and a hill and he'll go 35 though. Easy.
AgrAde

Postby EoinC on Sat 21/May/16 7:49pm

AgrAde wrote:Give a kid a bmx and a hill and he'll go 35 though. Easy.

I'd like to see this as a political party's manifesto.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 2 months

News - Latest Posts