38%
single track
6%
national parks
4%
you can run over my grandma on one if you like
26%

Total voters : 47

Re: Talkback Tuesday: Are E-bikes Awesome Or Spawn Of Satan?

Postby dragon_style on Thu 21/Apr/16 8:26pm

I think there is a pretty massive overestimation of the power an typical electrically assisted mountain bike has. Unless it's something like a Stealth which is incredibly expensive and unlikely to be encountered or some homemade high powered bike, again, pretty expensive and rare then it's going to be restricted to entirely un-scary levels.

If you were to actually ride one you'd find they are great for steep hills where you can be as fast as a professional racer but the faster you go the less assistance they offer and their top speed is little more than you could pedal yourself. As I understand it anything made for the European market (like the Bosch systems many mountain bikes are built around) has to cut off assistance at 25 km/h. For general riding, downhill etc they don't offer any real speed advantage and are really just a bike that's 10kg heavier.

I understand that having electric motorbikes on mountain bike tracks would be the same problem as having a petrol powered motorbike - they are fundamentally heavier, more powerful relative to track damage and faster. But a mountainbike that doesn't go faster than a fast rider, isn't heavier than a heavy rider doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I'm heavier and faster than my wife on her electric bike - I wouldn't have thought I was terrifying enough to be relegated to special tracks.

I don't think they are universally awesome and would not want one but if they avoid people driving their vehicles to shuttle and if they let people mountainbike who otherwise would not then I think they are a valuable part of the mountainbiking spectrum.

I primarily just found it funny that people who I'm sure will have expressed dismay at the attitudes of car drivers were echoing the sentiments so closely when faced with something 'other' to them.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 21/Apr/16 8:27pm

Spokes wrote:
oldandlazy wrote: I don't mind them anywhere that other motorbikes are allowed.

No, speed differential will be to great. Last thing you want is to be on the pipe through a nice section and have to avid a e-biker doing 1/4 your speed.

this is also the reason they need separated from pedal bikes.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby oldandlazy on Thu 21/Apr/16 9:28pm

dragon_style wrote:As I understand it anything made for the European market (like the Bosch systems many mountain bikes are built around) has to cut off assistance at 25 km/h.

The Bosch units are available in a 350w version limited to 45 km/h, and hacks are widely available for their units to fool the speed cutoff entirely. And just because existing units might be conservatively powered there is nothing to suggest that will continue to be the case. As they become more popular there will be more ways to increase their power. The only way to keep a lid on that would be to require WoF type checks, which will never happen and wouldn't be effective anyway.

Limiting access to bike trails to particular models or power ratings isn't practical. With 10 kW units being advertised (niche at present) I still think the default position is to treat them as any other motorised bicycle.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Spokes on Thu 21/Apr/16 9:41pm

Dougal wrote:
Spokes wrote:
oldandlazy wrote: I don't mind them anywhere that other motorbikes are allowed.

No, speed differential will be to great. Last thing you want is to be on the pipe through a nice section and have to avid a e-biker doing 1/4 your speed.

this is also the reason they need separated from pedal bikes.

As they are restricted to 25kph I dont see the issue. Most MTB riders can do that. Will just get more people out there which is a good thing.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 21/Apr/16 9:47pm

Spokes wrote:As they are restricted to 25kph I dont see the issue. Most MTB riders can do that. Will just get more people out there which is a good thing.

Do you do 25km/h uphill?
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Spokes on Thu 21/Apr/16 10:06pm

Dougal wrote:
Spokes wrote:As they are restricted to 25kph I dont see the issue. Most MTB riders can do that. Will just get more people out there which is a good thing.

Do you do 25km/h uphill?

No. But I dont MTB these days. My offroad is 2 stroke powered.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby michael on Thu 21/Apr/16 10:11pm

Ban any one who puts out more than 250w too :thumbsup:
michael
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 21/Apr/16 10:21pm

Gradient is a great speed limiter for safety. If someone's going down fast, then someone else going up is going slow. The speed differential means that nothing bad will happen. (Within reason. and so far it's always worked for me.)

If I'm going down a trail at 35kmph, I don't want to be constantly watching for e-riders approaching me on singletrack also going 35kmph. I ride conservatively on dual use/dual direction trails, enough to be safe for all reasonable running/biking speeds, but the "safe speed" to descend some of those trails while taking into account an e-rider pinning it up the hill is walking pace a lot of the time. Fuck that, stay off my trails.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

michael
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Rik on Fri 22/Apr/16 12:03pm

michael wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/specialized-74-scrambler-concept-bike-46888/

Troll Level: 9000

But you still have to clip a playing card to the read triangle to make it "sound" like a motorbike :butbut:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Fri 22/Apr/16 1:19pm

AgrAde wrote:Gradient is a great speed limiter for safety. If someone's going down fast, then someone else going up is going slow. The speed differential means that nothing bad will happen. (Within reason. and so far it's always worked for me.)

dose not work at the bottom of a dip in an undulating trail.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 22/Apr/16 2:44pm

That's why you be careful and change your speed with regard to the track? :eh:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Sims on Wed 27/Apr/16 10:12am

My experience with all the e-bike riders I see on the nor-west cycle way - It allows people with no skills or experience the chance to ride vastly faster than they'd otherwise be capable.

My assumption is that they think they're above public transport, but are too scared to get an actual motorised bike. Like a motorbike, for instance.

#irrationalhate.
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby trancemaster on Wed 27/Apr/16 3:29pm

pretty good debate above ^

remember ebikes bring peeps in that wouldnt otherwise ride
[ their fault if their handling cant cope with the speed ]

also ,
CXEbike

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ium=Social
trancemaster
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby trancemaster on Wed 27/Apr/16 3:53pm

pretty good debate above ^

remember ebikes bring peeps in that wouldnt otherwise ride
[ their fault if their handling cant cope with the speed ]

also ,
CXEbike

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ium=Social
trancemaster
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Cycling - Latest Posts