38%
single track
6%
national parks
4%
you can run over my grandma on one if you like
26%

Total voters : 47

Re: Talkback Tuesday: Are E-bikes Awesome Or Spawn Of Satan?

Postby philstar on Wed 20/Apr/16 12:56pm

Scotty wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:Where'd ya see said fat-E?

Dunedin.

Local dealer has one on Demo.

#fuckspecialized

send the dealer a poo
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 20/Apr/16 1:06pm

"here's my deposit for an e-bike" ;)
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 20/Apr/16 1:11pm

big stick through front spokes!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby dragon_style on Wed 20/Apr/16 8:21pm

Wow, it's impressive how much this thread has become like the typical idiot driver comments against cyclists crap.

Let's see

- joking about acts that could seriously hurt or kill the 'offender' - check
- saying 'they should pay for using our space/road/track' - check
- 'they shouldn't be allowed where we drive/ride' - check

Now someone just needs to say how gay anyone on a electric bike is to complete the similarity.

Way to go. Obviously it's much better to have someone drive their vehicle repeatedly up to the top of a hill to shuttle down or to simply not enjoy the sport and exercise at all because the way they are participating offends some preconception you have about it.

Electric assist for bikes is probably the biggest thing since derailleurs. Commuting is obviously a prime use but why shouldn't recreation be similarly opened up?
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby philstar on Wed 20/Apr/16 9:48pm

dragon_style wrote:Wow, it's impressive how much this thread has become like the typical idiot driver comments against cyclists crap.

Let's see

Now someone just needs to say how gay anyone on a electric bike is to complete the similarity.

Way to go. Obviously it's much better to have someone drive their vehicle repeatedly up to the top of a hill to shuttle down or to simply not enjoy the sport and exercise at all because the way they are participating offends some preconception you have about it.

Electric assist for bikes is probably the biggest thing since derailleurs. Commuting is obviously a prime use but why shouldn't recreation be similarly opened up?

your analogy is incorrect, roads were made before cars, and used by bikes before cars. as someone pointed out earlier it is more like walkers trying to keep mountain bikers off their tracks.

or cars keeping trucks off the road (and for similar reasons).

but I do agree with your point about causing harm (even if it is said in "jest")
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 20/Apr/16 10:19pm

Not down with the physical abuse, but surely a bollocking if the place was not legit for motos.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:23am

I was envisaging said stick not sending the offender OTB (due to the weight of said offending vehicle), more perpetrating an abrupt stop and wrecking a few spokes, thereby making said offending vehicle inoperable. Indeed, in jest.

I have no issue with them on "our" tracks if they're within the power range and they're assisting someone who would otherwise be unable to enjoy the place. But if they're just lightweight motorbikes being ridden by a lazy-arse mother-fucking s.o.b, then they can fuck right off
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Scotty on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:33am

dragon_style wrote:Wow, it's impressive how much this thread has become like the typical idiot driver comments against cyclists crap.

Let's see

So you're in the 'awesome' camp then?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 21/Apr/16 8:27am

dragon_style wrote:

At least with shuttling (in my experience) is that the shuttle part is at least up a road. I was thinking about this the other day, if you have one of these new trail type E-Motos, you could shuttle Queenstown Bike Park without the gondola, but then I thought, maybe you'd get bored having to ride up the access road, why not shoot up Thundergoat instead...

I still think cost is the most prohibitive thing so they won't be a problem at least for awhile. I've seen a couple at Woodhill, one incidentally going the wrong direction on a trail, but I suspect they were lost rather than doing it deliberately. The industry shouldn't be calling them E-Bikes, E-Moto is a much better term.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 21/Apr/16 10:23am

I haven't seen any e-bikes being ridden on trails and on bike paths they've all been respectful and good (slowing down for kids). But there are some real dicks riding them on the roads acting like they're on a moto rather than bike.

#theydontpayroadtax
#theydontpayACC
#getalicenceplate
#theyalwaysrunredlights
#theyridesonfootpat
#argh.......
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby oldandlazy on Thu 21/Apr/16 12:08pm

I don't mind e-bikes on 4-wheel drive tracks, access roads etc. I don't mind them anywhere that other motorbikes are allowed. I don't even mind them on roads, although it hurts me a little inside each time I'm passed by one.

But I do believe the default position should be that they aren't allowed on bike-specific single track. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any shared access - just that they need to be specifically agreed on each track, or otherwise they should get lumped in with all other motorbikes.

I know that walkers will normally be unable to distinguish e-bikes from actual bikes, and I don't want our existing access to be compromised because of something which superficially looks like us but is in actual fact a motorbike.

And get off my lawn.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 21/Apr/16 4:06pm

oldandlazy wrote:I don't mind e-bikes on 4-wheel drive tracks, access roads etc. I don't mind them anywhere that other motorbikes are allowed. I don't even mind them on roads, although it hurts me a little inside each time I'm passed by one.

But I do believe the default position should be that they aren't allowed on bike-specific single track. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any shared access - just that they need to be specifically agreed on each track, or otherwise they should get lumped in with all other motorbikes.

I know that walkers will normally be unable to distinguish e-bikes from actual bikes, and I don't want our existing access to be compromised because of something which superficially looks like us but is in actual fact a motorbike.

And get off my lawn.

This.

My lawn too.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Spokes on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:26pm

oldandlazy wrote: I don't mind them anywhere that other motorbikes are allowed.

No, speed differential will be to great. Last thing you want is to be on the pipe through a nice section and have to avid a e-biker doing 1/4 your speed.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:29pm

Spokes wrote:

No, speed differential will be to great. Last thing you want is to be on the pipe through a nice section and have to avid a e-biker doing 1/4 your speed.

How many mountain bikers ride in "moto only" areas though? Surely motos have this to contend with in all areas except for motocross tracks?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Spokes on Thu 21/Apr/16 7:57pm

Conners wrote:
Spokes wrote:

How many mountain bikers ride in "moto only" areas though? Surely motos have this to contend with in all areas except for motocross tracks?

We have dedicated areas so you are not expecting a e-bike on a trail. And a lot of the trails would be way to hard for them anyway.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Cycling - Latest Posts