Talk To Me About Telemarking

Postby Butch on Fri 4/Dec/09 9:20pm

Here's a novel idea, I might post an idea on zorb and try to get some information from the masses! :o

I haven't been riding the old bike too much lately, and in the quest for new and inventive ways to break myself, I've started curiously pondering the idea of Telemarking.

A little background of me versus snow, I skied up till the age of about 15, guess I got sort of okay at it then but I wasn't gonna set the world on fire. This is back in the mid 90' when men were men and ski's were straight. Of course snowboarding was the RAD thing for a 15 year old to do those days, so I thought I'd give that a crack, and thats sort of where I've been ever since. I've generally kept my hand in, but over the last few years I've let it slide due to a combination of inconveniently timed injuries and circumstances. So as of now, I haven't had a snowboarding mission for about the last three years.

So given it's been quite a while since I've been up the hill, I've been thinking for about the last year or so that I should have a go at getting back onto 2 planks, and trying out these new fangled carving ski's. Then earlier tonight, I just happened to be watching a video of a dude doing some Telemarking.

Now, my sum total level of experience regarding telemarking comprises the following:

1.) It looks cool

2.) I think it has application in XC skiing

3.) A mate once told me it was really hard

At least two of those point appeal to me, so I'm wondering whether it's within the realms of possibility that I could learn the mad telemark skillz rather than going back to regular alpine skiing. I'm gonna wander into a ski type shop of some description here in chch over the next wee while and have a yarn to them about it, but I thought I'd float the idea to the great unwashed here and see what opinions floated to the top.

So, what say you heathens?
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Talk To Me About Telemarking

Postby Mat_the_w on Fri 4/Dec/09 9:32pm

Haha, I went trought that whole post thinking your were talking about Tele 'Marketing', man that made so little sense it hurt...
I've seen people doing that and thought that looked pretty cool, couldnt tell you more than im sure google already has...but if it interests you, give it a try...whats the worst that can happen? :thumbsup:
Mat_the_w
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby wuffy on Fri 4/Dec/09 9:38pm

Mat_the_w wrote:Haha, I went trought that whole post thinking your were talking about Tele 'Marketing'

:withstupid:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Bags on Fri 4/Dec/09 10:07pm

Free the heel, free the mind, or half the binding, half the brain. Take your pick. :)
I've been telemarking off and on for the past 10 years or so. It is harder than alpine skiing (especially on the thighs!), but when you get the hang of it, it's primo!
My background is in alpine skiing, and it was pretty easy to pick up. A mate of mine who is very accomplished at alpine skiing, snowboarding and telemark, reckons telemark feels more like snowboarding than alpine skiing.
Do it!
Bags
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Bags on Fri 4/Dec/09 10:08pm

Oh, and telemarking is extra good on carvers.
Bags

Postby Butch on Fri 4/Dec/09 10:11pm

That sounds promising.

When you say harder than alpine, do you mean technically, or physically?

Oh. You mean both don't you.
Butch

Postby Bags on Fri 4/Dec/09 10:23pm

Butch wrote:Oh. You mean both don't you.

Yup
Bags

Postby j2hyde on Fri 4/Dec/09 10:46pm

I have a similar background, skied alpine till about age 16, snowboarded for a few years then got on the teles when I was in canada. I picked it up pretty quick but I was skiing full time that season.
Duncan at RnR in chch knows lots about tele gear, be warned he'll try to sell you lots of stuff you really want but really cant afford.

It's hard on the body (this is a good thing), and you never have the full power afforded by alpine gear but good technique can make up for a lot of that. Also it does have a real surfy feel to it like snowboarding, flows way more than fixed heel, and it's good for touring if you like that. Tele in pow totally dominates boarding or alpine - soo much fun, not so good IMHO for icy conditions.

Ski selection depends on terrain and snow conditions, you don't really need much sidecut with tele because you have a variety of body positions and techniques you can use for different skis and snow conditions but shape can be useful depending on what you like to ski.

If you don't think you have the time to dedicate to learning good tele technique and developing the required fitness modern fat shaped skis with alpine bindings are awesome. Try some. Either way you'll have fun.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Butch on Sat 5/Dec/09 1:42pm

So tele bindings will just hook onto a regular ski, ya?
Butch

Postby Butch on Sat 5/Dec/09 3:53pm

j2hyde wrote:Duncan at RnR in chch knows lots about tele gear, be warned he'll try to sell you lots of stuff you really want but really cant afford.

Jeepers, you weren't kidding! :blink:

Is it really a necessity to drop 1K on a set of boots straight off the bat?
Butch

Postby Percy Pig on Sat 5/Dec/09 5:51pm

Butch wrote:
j2hyde wrote:Duncan at RnR in chch knows lots about tele gear, be warned he'll try to sell you lots of stuff you really want but really cant afford.

I have no idea!

But if you want a second opinion on that stuff, talk to Ben at RnR, he's a telemarker as well au. :)
If he's there of course, he does work rather random days! :huh:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Sun 6/Dec/09 10:52am

So, uh, can I join you.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby ArjanH on Sun 6/Dec/09 11:17am

I am guessing this is NOT Telemarking?

ArjanH
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Sun 6/Dec/09 12:04pm

Butch wrote:

Boots make a huge difference, and good boots work way better than crap ones. I bought a pair of $600 boot for alpine a couple of years back, but kinda wish I had splashed out on the $1000 ones.

Boot fit is pretty critcal as all the control of the ski comes from the foot.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sun 6/Dec/09 12:17pm

I did a bit in the late 90's, and since then I've fixed my mind. It's fun in pow, but hard work (on the thighs and knees as has been said), for changeable or icey conditions not so good, I did a lot of steep descents with some Scandi tele boys in Chamonix a few years ago, based on that I wouldn't say it is good for the steep gnar.

Touring wise modern gear is good performance wise(downhill), but heavy, a bit heavier that comparable randonee equipment.

I always said when I have mastered alpine I'll get back on smelemarks...

:ediot: Yes, if you're serious about giving it a try you should drop a grand on boots, AND get them properly professionally fitted, they are your handlebars, stem headset, brakes, pedal cranks all in one.

Always spend your money on boots, skis and bindings (within range) are all a much of a muchness, boot choice will make you or break you.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Snow - Latest Posts