Talk To Me About Knee Protectors

Postby Rik on Tue 31/Mar/15 9:43am

After watching EWS at the weekend, I got to thinking about knee protection. I have never ridden with knee protection, but I can't help but think that my current attitude is holding me back from attacking (and in some cases getting off and walking) some gnarlier sections of trail.

So does running with knee protectors really make you 'feel' invincible?
How intrusive are they to pedalling action?
Are they more of an annoyance, always slipping out of place?
Hard or soft, whats best?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Talk To Me About Knee Protectors

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 31/Mar/15 9:57am

For trail riding, soft is teh bestest! :thumbsup:

I have some iXS Carve knee and elbows, the knee's don't move when pedaling (even with teh top strap undone!) and aren't too hot, haven't tested them in a proper crash... yet! :p

I used to ride with some G-form ones, which were a lot lighter being just a lycra sleeve with the fancy gel padding stuff on it, they were also good and performed well in the big ass crash I had.
No knee damage at all, even landing on the Crater rim traverse track at warp 11, just wish I'd had the elbows on as well... derp! :blink:

I don't really notice knee pads at all anymore, probably all those years of DH riding. :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby beater32 on Tue 31/Mar/15 10:08am

I use iXS flows and they pedal really well. Don't even notice them anymore. They've taken enough knocks for me use them all the time now.. Did a few days Shuttling in Roto last week. Hardly anyone wears pads...?
They do give me more confidence in cornering .
beater32
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Tue 31/Mar/15 10:19am

So I'm thinking on the lighter side of the spectrum. More day long epic rides than shuttle runs. So they have to get me up every hill I go down.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby sweep on Tue 31/Mar/15 10:22am

The volcanic rock in Christchurch is hard on the body. I crashed on the upper part of Tilted Sally over the summer, had a brain fade which resulted in an instant over the bars crash. The pads saved my knees but my arms got tore up. I went and bought elbow pads the following day. I use the lightweight Fox ones, they offer good protection and don't restrict movement for climbing plus the don't take up much space in my backpack.
sweep
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby phantasim on Tue 31/Mar/15 10:25am

I've been running TLD5450 knee/shins fot awhile and they're mint, if I'm pedaling up any great distance I'll just slip then down. I've got to the point if I'm not wearing knee pads I just don't feel comfortable riding.
phantasim
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 31/Mar/15 10:42am

After too many instances of hurting myself when just playing around on easy stuff I wear knees and gloves every time I get on the bike.
Used 661 D3O ones, now on Leatt 3DF, both comfy to wear all day.

Do it, they don't make you feel as invincible as bigger/longer pads, but certainly help the head game on rocky terrain, and can easily turn a ride-ending moment into a minor off.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby mark2c on Tue 31/Mar/15 11:35am

661 D3O for me.

D3O is unbelievably good stuff.
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby mbl77 on Tue 31/Mar/15 1:19pm

Currently running 661 Rage knees and recently got IXS Flow elbows. My knees have been saved numerous times. I always ride with my knee pads and just pull them down around my calves when riding back up. Elbows only get worn at races or at the bike park.

I'll probably get IXS Carves to replace the 661's when they finally die, I'm really impressed with the quality.
mbl77
User avatarMedal
Member for: 4 years 6 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 31/Mar/15 9:05pm

mark2c wrote:661 D3O for me.

:withstupid:
Much better than the Troy Lee knee sock from the Lopes guard.
Great articulation and heat management.
Haven't had to test out the D3O though.
Now the temps are coming down I can go back to wearing them.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Armour | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Protection - Latest Posts