Re: Talk To Me About Kayaks

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:43pm

Just man up and get an evo
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:46pm

SlackBoy wrote:Just man up and get an evo

Evo's are pigs. Get an Advantage or a UFO!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby thelivo on Tue 24/Nov/09 11:00pm

Sharp FTW
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Yogi on Wed 25/Nov/09 7:10am

Below is a multisport kayak buying guide from the Crazyman website writen by Michael Jacques. Might be a bit old but will still be relevant. You can download it from http://www.crazyman.co.nz/default.asp?PageID=7150 or:
Kayak_Buyers_Guide-2299.doc
Downloaded 79 times

I found it usefull when buying my first second hand.
Yogi
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 25/Nov/09 9:10am

Trail wrote:I think best bet to get White Water skills is the UCCC Combos course http://uccc.org.nz/uccc.php?topic=about

Is a uni club, but:

The UCCC welcomes anyone and everyone to join!!! This includes not only University of Canterbury students but also all Tertiary Students, Secondary Students, and those already in the Workforce. There is an annual membership fee of $20 and this goes towards the gear maintenance and replacement, administrative costs, social events, Whitewater NZ affiliation* and all the other things that keep this club running.

issue with Uni clubs is it really only runs during the uni year, particularly for beginner trips. Having said that one of the instructors when I was there was Steve Gurney so its produced some decent paddlers over the years.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby danose on Wed 25/Nov/09 11:16am

Trail wrote:If you want something you can blat about in, and head out around scarborough heads/ taylors mistake then I would be looking at the sea kayak options that Cauld suggests. They would also be fine for having a float down some rivers or paddling across lakes.

of course other option would be a proper surf kayak - range from a wave ski (surf equiv of your playboat) thru to old-school surf ski (ala surf rescue and as used for open water racing etc). Even the long ones aren't as heavy as a full on sea kayak (which is more oriented to multi-day and being uber-stable loaded)

I guess if you were comparing it to bike a sea kayak is a touring bike (or cargo bike), the surf ski nice roadie and the wave ski a DH rig

personally I'd go a waveski - heaps of fun in the surf and not such a pain to store/transport :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby danose on Wed 25/Nov/09 11:19am

Trail wrote:The missus thinks a double sea kayak is a good idea.... I however do not!! :lol:

they're called divorce boats for a reason you know! :D

we took a hire double out on lake wanak in feb - suse really enjoyed it, espec when she got tired of paddling and told me leaving me to do the work was 'good training'. She wasn't so happy when I then set of chasing wakes to surf around on :)
danose

Postby danose on Wed 25/Nov/09 11:23am

Trail wrote:Surf Skis are definitely fun...and you dont really have to learn to have a bullet proof roll for those!! :)

Gotta be prepared to have a wet arse tho... that was one nice thing about a kayak, even training on a frosty Chch night (air temperature around zero) I was always super toasty in a kayak/spray skirt/life jacket.

pah - a waveski is still warmer than a surfboard!!!! then again, I was the guy with a cut down 11mm to stop from freezing in spring/autumn

wave skis end nicely too! :thumbsup:
danose

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 25/Nov/09 12:02pm

Ive never had a go on a waveski but would like one. If I wanted to paddle in the surf I always just took the whitewater boat and got hassled by surfers. DOINK whoops, sorry budday!
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Wed 25/Nov/09 2:07pm

If you have never realy paddled before, i would advise learning in a smaller creak type boat on some moving water, that way you will learn ballance, how to control a kayak in moving water (and not shit yourself) getting the kayak to go where you want it to and not the other way.
Then move on to MS boats, you see so many people that can poddle along on the flat but when it comes to running a small rapid they are like kids that have just taken their trainer wheels off, swimming down a rapid can realy stuff your race time up!
RHR_Rob

Postby danose on Wed 25/Nov/09 2:31pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:Ive never had a go on a waveski but would like one. If I wanted to paddle in the surf I always just took the whitewater boat and got hassled by surfers. DOINK whoops, sorry budday!

never used to see many kayakers over at taylors when the surf was good - dunno why :satan:

waveskis are great - espec if you can't roll for crap like me :blush:

I still reckon the most bang for buck fun I had was from my old 'taylors mistake' handski though :thumbsup:
danose

Postby Trail on Wed 25/Nov/09 2:31pm

He does not want a multisport boat!! He wants something he can safely blat around the estuary and maybe take down a gentle river!

Sea Kayak for stability and warmth.

Wave ski for a wet arse and more fun :thumbsup:

White Water course to get some skills!
Trail

Postby sammc on Thu 15/Apr/10 12:49pm

Allied to this post, I wonder if anyone can offer some regarding a first time kayak buyer who has some experience in kayaking.
I am (hoping) to complete the C2C next year and am trying to work out whether it is best to buy a multisport kayak or a sea kayak. As it would be nice to also have a kayak that has more use than merely a couple of races a year...

Any thoughts?
sammc
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Thu 15/Apr/10 1:16pm

You can buy 'Faster' sea kayaks - or just rent a M/S boat for the race.
RHR_Rob

Postby Trail on Thu 15/Apr/10 1:19pm

Depends how serious you are about racing sammc. If you are just there to complete rather than to compete in C2C then go for it and grab a sea kayak. It will get down the Waimak just fine and can be used for other purposes...

Which ever way you go, make sure you get something stable. No point in having a fast boat (unstable) if you are spending too much time trying to stay upright rather than putting your effort into paddling. Nice being able to lounge around in your wide boat when people who have tipped out of theirs are getting back in too :sly:

I dont know much about what specific sea kayaks are what, but there will be different levels. Entry level should be stable and will usually be heavy and not terribly fast. As you progress through the range the boats will get lighter, get more features and will get tippier and faster. Hopefully a sea kayak person will come along and give you some advice, but if they dont it might be worth asking the question on the sportzhub forum. :thumbsup:
Trail

Kayaking | Paddling - Latest Posts