Re: Talk To Me About Kayaks

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 24/Nov/09 9:57pm

Nick_K wrote:
cauld wrote:
Nick_K wrote:Humour me as I know nothing about paddling.

I'm moving to Chch and am living a few 100m form the estuary/sea so thought I might get into a little paddling. I really know nothing about kayaks so would love some basic advice/recommendations for what I should look out for. Don't want to spend a fortune so will be looking second hand.

Any other hot tips, clubs or paddling course that might be worth a look.

Chur chur.

For the Poo Pond (Estuary) you'll probably want a basic plastic sea kayak. I wouldn't get a sit on top as you'll grow out of it too quick being an outdoors buy already.

You want something like: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Kayaks-canoes/Kayaks/Sea-kayaks/auction-255007755.htm buy em both. and sell one. or
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Kayaks-canoes/Kayaks/Sea-kayaks/auction-255239159.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Kayaks-canoes/Kayaks/Sea-kayaks/auction-255239888.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Kayaks-canoes/Kayaks/Sea-kayaks/auction-255523672.htm is also nice though glass rather than plastic so requires a bit more care.

Hope you hooked up a new job through a reputable medical recruitment agency!

OMG a sensible answer on vorb WTF. Probably a silly question but you take a sea kayak down a non technical river? At a push could you do the (hypothetically of course) coast to coast in it.

Chch is a real job but am working for a very reputable locum company down in Invervegas at the moment.

any of the plastic ones will be ok for the coast to coast, the glass one too provided you don't hit anything, multisport kayaks are big long fuckers too not in any way white water capable. you'll need a grade 2 kayak cert too i think?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:02pm

Either the perception or the puffin. Glass should be lighter than plastic and a bit more performance but plastic is very very forgiving. Having said that I once punted a decent size rock on the able tas in a glass boat (I'm bored with this, lets go over there....oooooh crikey thats a bit bigger than it looked, ah fuck paddle paddle paddle!!!!!) with no damage. It was a hire boat too. :(
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:04pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:I used to do a bit of whitewater paddling: still got all the gear, still got no idea. I am averaging one trip every two years at present so take what I say with a grain of salt, and Im not really up with the current tech, but, here goes:

Hmm I think I am averaging about 1 trip every 3 years at the moment, sometimes in a white water boat, sometimes in a K1 style boat. The missus thinks a double sea kayak is a good idea.... I however do not!! :lol:

HDC wrote:
can you paddle at all? if not you might want to do a skills course with the whitewater canoe club. that will teach you the basic strokes and give you some decent grounding. Sure, the techniques are slightly different but basic training = good. I think a decent plastic sea kayak would be ideal as well. they actually go quite well.

I agree with this. Do a white water skills course. I started in White water and moved on to silly multisport boats. My white water background made me waaaay more comfortable when the shit did hit the fan and I was a better paddler for it. It makes the rough water much more fun knowing that you have the skills to make it out the other side.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby thelivo on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:05pm

yep - last couple of years its been a reasonably good bet because the river has been so low. Plastic stands up better to sharp rocks than fibreglass/ carbon

And yes - do a whitewater skillls course - its great fun and will save you from some silly mistakes
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:06pm

Nick_K wrote: Probably a silly question but you take a sea kayak down a non technical river? At a push could you do the (hypothetically of course) coast to coast in it.

absolutely. figure too that a bunch of muppet multisporters spend a shedload of cash on the latest and greatest full CF $5000 raceboat without being able to paddle hardly at all. If you're a novice, a slower, more stable boat you dont fucking fall out of all the time is the winner. Particularly if there is a bit of water in the gorge. That is actually the area that a novice C2Cer can make up a lot of time: most people can run a bit, or ride a bike a bit, but learning the paddling skills is a whole nother thing.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:10pm

Trail wrote:Hmm I think I am averaging about 1 trip every 3 years at the moment, sometimes in a white water boat, sometimes in a K1 style boat. The missus thinks a double sea kayak is a good idea.... I however do not!! :lol:

I actually turned down a gully run on Show day: i thought it looked a bit average and I am totally over paddling there in huuuuge norwest. I did get invited again though so no hard feelings....

double sea kayak is ok. reverse of a tandem: you want the back seat so you can loaf about and the person up front cant see and acts as the motor. z :) not that I'd ever do that.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:10pm

Actually if you could get one, a wavehopper might be ideal
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Nick_K on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:11pm

Cheers HDC and trail :thumbsup:

Trail wrote:
If you want something you can blat about in, and head out around scarborough heads/ taylors mistake then I would be looking at the sea kayak options that Cauld suggests. They would also be fine for having a float down some rivers or paddling across lakes.

That sounds about what I would conceivable get up to. Can't see myself getting into anything too serious and if I do would then have some idea what I would be looking for. I suppose I'm looking for the trailbike equivalent of a kayak, versatile but not actually good at anything. While playing in the surf sounds fun I'm not a huge fan of drowning.

Joining a club/doing a course before I buy might be a good idea.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:12pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Kayaks- ... 389239.htm

might be tippy for a novice paddler? its been years since Ive sat in one.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby thelivo on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:15pm

Not sure about that particular one but the RR boats can be pretty tippy. Not up to K1 levels but still not exactly relaxing.
The other thing thats kind of fun are the surf skis - since i got rid of my multisport and K1 boats i now have a Fenn mako 6 (too tippy for a novice) but the Fenn XT is a lovely boat
thelivo

Postby Trail on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:18pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Kayaks-canoes/Kayaks/Whitewater-kayaks/auction-255389239.htm

not ideal for a novice. Better off starting in a sea kayak.

Super fun in Grade 4 with big drops tho :thumbsup:
Trail

Postby Trail on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:20pm

thelivo wrote:Not sure about that particular one but the RR boats can be pretty tippy. Not up to K1 levels but still not exactly relaxing.
The other thing thats kind of fun are the surf skis - since i got rid of my multisport and K1 boats i now have a Fenn mako 6 (too tippy for a novice) but the Fenn XT is a lovely boat

Surf Skis are definitely fun...and you dont really have to learn to have a bullet proof roll for those!! :)

Gotta be prepared to have a wet arse tho... that was one nice thing about a kayak, even training on a frosty Chch night (air temperature around zero) I was always super toasty in a kayak/spray skirt/life jacket.
Trail

Postby thelivo on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:23pm

Yeah - have to admit i am only just starting to paddle my surf ski again - have been a bit of a wimp this winter :D
thelivo

Postby cauld on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:26pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Kayaks-canoes/Kayaks/Whitewater-kayaks/auction-255389239.htm

I've done a bunch of racing in Wavehoppers (former NZ Junior DR champ) and they're great... but you do need to learn how to paddle them. I'd be mroe inclined to start with a sea kayak
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Trail on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:28pm

I think best bet to get White Water skills is the UCCC Combos course http://uccc.org.nz/uccc.php?topic=about

Is a uni club, but:

The UCCC welcomes anyone and everyone to join!!! This includes not only University of Canterbury students but also all Tertiary Students, Secondary Students, and those already in the Workforce. There is an annual membership fee of $20 and this goes towards the gear maintenance and replacement, administrative costs, social events, Whitewater NZ affiliation* and all the other things that keep this club running.
Trail

Kayaking | Paddling - Latest Posts