Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby dented on Mon 22/Dec/14 9:14am

We love this :)
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 22/Dec/14 9:18pm

It's funny because I'm planning on doing the same thing, but better executed, to a favourite frame of mine.

I plan to remove the entire head-tube, fit up a new 44mm ID one, get it welded, with the right rods, by a recommended welder and then get the whole front triangle heat-treated to T6 again. Because as soon as you touch it with a welder, the original heat-treatment is compromised and that over-heated bit of aluminium now has strength and impact resistance rivaling card-board.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 22/Dec/14 9:29pm

but is it t6 cardboard?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 22/Dec/14 10:07pm

shmoodiver wrote:but is it t6 cardboard?

No... No its not.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 22/Dec/14 11:44pm

Dougal wrote:It's funny because I'm planning on doing the same thing, but better executed, to a favourite frame of mine.

I plan to remove the entire head-tube, fit up a new 44mm ID one, get it welded, with the right rods, by a recommended welder and then get the whole front triangle heat-treated to T6 again. Because as soon as you touch it with a welder, the original heat-treatment is compromised and that over-heated bit of aluminium now has strength and impact resistance rivaling card-board.

But what if it twists? At the factory, aluminium frames often warp during heat treatment. A proportion of frames need to be straightened, which has to be done within X minutes of finishing heat treatment.

They warp despite the tubes being cut accurately, jigged accurately and welded by robots. Maybe it is to do with which side of the aluminium tube faces the sun when it is growing.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby danose on Tue 23/Dec/14 5:28am

Dougal wrote:It's funny because I'm planning on doing the same thing, but better executed, to a favourite frame of mine.

or you could just ditch that silly antique turner and buy ANY of the modern horst link bikes - say a nice LaPierre, or even (shock horror) a specialized

a carbon zesty/spicy would run rings around a turner :satan:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 23/Dec/14 7:21am

Not around a modern DW-Link Turner :sneaky:
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 24/Dec/14 11:02am

Simonius_Titius wrote:But what if it twists? At the factory, aluminium frames often warp during heat treatment. A proportion of frames need to be straightened, which has to be done within X minutes of finishing heat treatment.

They warp despite the tubes being cut accurately, jigged accurately and welded by robots. Maybe it is to do with which side of the aluminium tube faces the sun when it is growing.

Warpage is mostly from stress relief at the first heat-treatment. My bike frame has already had that done so the only new stress to be releived will be around the head-tube. This is always a minor risk, but I'm not expecting problems.

If it does need tweaked straight after, then it'll be tweaked straight after.

danose wrote:or you could just ditch that silly antique turner and buy ANY of the modern horst link bikes - say a nice LaPierre, or even (shock horror) a specialized

a carbon zesty/spicy would run rings around a turner :satan:

Problem is, those guys don't make a bike that will do the trifecta of fitting a standard sized coil shock, having a 1.5" head-tube and 26" wheels. The only bike Specialized have in that category is the Status (which I might still get for a bigger test bike).
The Lapierres all have that silly extension bolted to the shock. I would waste a lot of time making those for each new shock I needed to test!

Cube made a suitable bike last year, but I'm not spending that much on an extra bike.

26" wheels are so you can bolt on and ride with 26, 27 or 29" forks. A 27" frame and wheel isn't safe with a 26" fork, fit a 26" front wheel and it all just gets steeper.
Dougal

Postby Wobbler on Wed 24/Dec/14 1:12pm

Why the 1.5 head tube?
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 24/Dec/14 1:17pm

Wobbler wrote:Why the 1.5 head tube?

Technically I plan to do the 44mm head-tube. It's easier to source/fabricate and has more fitment options than a 1.5-1.125" tapered head-tube.
Dougal

Dougal

Postby AgrAde on Fri 20/Feb/15 5:20pm

Bahaha. I'm glad it's working out for him (doing what, communting maybe?), but man I hope no one ever takes his advice.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Fri 20/Feb/15 5:51pm

I note that is still the only photo we've ever seen. No "hey look at this you guise, still going strong" update photo :sly:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 20/Feb/15 8:37pm

This is true.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks - Latest Posts