Re: Talas About It

Postby gumby on Sat 18/Jan/14 3:37pm

Dougal wrote:Unfortunately you've asked the wrong questions of the wrong people and been given the wrong advice as a result.

If you'd asked an actual Engineer (NZ is full of people who claim to be but aren't) who studied metallurgy or even load paths they'd tell you straight up that what you planned would ruin your frame. Not just from the welding, but the geometry of that socket and how it's now attached.

Honestly though, I'd expect anyone claiming to have tickets in "advanced aluminium welding" (if such a thing exists) to know about the problems of welding heat-treated alloys. Big difference between welding up boats and welding up bike frames.



Thank you Dougal, I was aware it would ruin the frame. I know what you mean about 'engineers' and yes none of the people I consulted were actual engineers of the type you speak but their work and experience does give them more than a common garden engineering understanding of metallurgy and load paths. For my purposes I think I made an informed decision but I will consult a doctor.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the geometry of that socket and how it's now attached' and I'm sure others won't, can you please clarify?
At this point I'm naturally most interested in exactly how it might fail and the risk of damage to the steerer and your thoughts on that.
I mentioned "advanced aluminium welding" to qualify my claim that I could tell if anyone looking at that had any experience. I can't be bothered digging out the tickets but you're right, they did pertain to shipbuilding and I saw many OK aluminium welders fail them so I'd call them advanced.
gumby
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Re: Talas About It

Postby musket on Sat 18/Jan/14 6:54pm

Seriously, we have to be being trolled by some advanced life form, because otherwise, I'm worried Poe's Law applies.

gumby wrote: I know what you mean about 'engineers' and yes none of the people I consulted were actual engineers of the type you speak but their work and experience does give them more than a common garden engineering understanding of metallurgy and load paths. ...

I mentioned "advanced aluminium welding" to qualify my claim that I could tell if anyone looking at that had any experience. I can't be bothered digging out the tickets but you're right, they did pertain to shipbuilding and I saw many OK aluminium welders fail them so I'd call them advanced.
musket
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby happybaboon on Sat 18/Jan/14 7:03pm

Nah. More likely that everyone just doesn't quite understand what's going on.

See, that's not a bike frame that he has done his sw33t modz on. It is actually a ship frame. It's a little-known fact, but ships have headsets and need suspension that is identical to mountain bikes. So of course the expert advice he got came from ship builders.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby el_booto on Sat 18/Jan/14 7:33pm

Hold up there a sec, im lost

Has the frame failed ( im guessing yes as otherwise gumby wouldn't have edited his post. And in which case I demand pics) or are we still in theory land :eh:
Not trolling, I have genuine interest in the goings on
el_booto
User avatar
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby Malcy on Sat 18/Jan/14 7:52pm



:D
Malcy
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby Conners on Sat 18/Jan/14 9:42pm

gumby wrote:At this point I'm naturally most interested in exactly how it might fail and the risk of damage to the steerer and your thoughts on that.

If it fails catastrophically you will hit the ground really really hard, most probably with your head. Damage to the steerer will be the last thing on your mind.

Hopefully Dougal will respond and convince you that riding the bike is a bad idea, given that you appear to be believing his credentials at least.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby thelivo on Sat 18/Jan/14 10:45pm

musket wrote:Seriously, we have to be being trolled by some advanced life form, because otherwise, I'm worried Poe's Law applies.

gumby wrote: I know what you mean about 'engineers' and yes none of the people I consulted were actual engineers of the type you speak but their work and experience does give them more than a common garden engineering understanding of metallurgy and load paths. ...

I mentioned "advanced aluminium welding" to qualify my claim that I could tell if anyone looking at that had any experience. I can't be bothered digging out the tickets but you're right, they did pertain to shipbuilding and I saw many OK aluminium welders fail them so I'd call them advanced.


I keep expecting to hear something about collets
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Talas About It

Postby Wobbler on Sat 18/Jan/14 10:49pm

what about cooties?
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby wachtourak on Sat 18/Jan/14 11:11pm

dis fhread iz maing
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby Scotty on Sun 19/Jan/14 7:34am

Conners wrote:
gumby wrote:At this point I'm naturally most interested in exactly how it might fail and the risk of damage to the steerer and your thoughts on that.

If it fails catastrophically you will hit the ground really really hard, most probably with your head. Damage to the steerer will be the last thing on your mind.

Hopefully Dougal will respond and convince you that riding the bike is a bad idea, given that you appear to be believing his credentials at least.

Indeed. Then let the industry types here help you sort out something to replace it with. :)

Helping people comes far more naturally to most of the people here than you might think, we genuinely don't like seeing people getting hurt on bikes. :(

Just don't give us abuse for it.
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby wachtourak on Sun 19/Jan/14 9:01am

Image
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 19/Jan/14 10:20am

got a tall boy lt frame sitting on the floor at work dude, got a tapered headtube and 135mm dropouts. you'd need a new seatpost and possibly front mech. can do it for $2K (basically cost)
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby happybaboon on Sun 19/Jan/14 1:30pm

Scotty wrote:we genuinely don't like seeing people getting hurt on bikes. :(

.....Unless it's Slacky bench-grindering his taint :D
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby dwgknz on Thu 1/May/14 4:52pm

Anyone got an update on if it lasted?
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 1/May/14 8:04pm

Good dredge, but considering how long it's been I'd guess it died the predictable death and Gumby is too embarrassed to post pics.

He does seem to be alive still though, last post was:
gumby wrote:
Oli wrote:This is the answer. :thumbsup:



40T top ring, 10T difference and 18T capacity on the triple, hobbled again.

on Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks - Latest Posts

Who is online

52 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 50 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle