Postby JK2 on Wed 14/Feb/07 1:38pm

sorry. I know that people here wouldn't mind if they supposedly did something wrong at work, were investigated and found to have shown errors of judgement. were demoted so that their salaries halved and then there was a decision by the police to investigate them (partly due to the fact that people who wouldn't contribute to the previous investigation suddenly decide they neeed to go to the media with further accusations).

and I am sure that people wouldn't mind if this was all covered in the media and that people who didn't know them made statements in internet forums accusing them of things for which they have not been found guilty.
JK2
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby phunk on Wed 14/Feb/07 1:39pm

happybaboon wrote: ... Which is also the stuff that got him suspended from the Labour caucus and is about to get him kicked from the Labour party completely.


Actually, they are kicking him out not for any of that stuff, but because he announced he may stand as an independent which is against Labour party rules... or something.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby phunk on Wed 14/Feb/07 1:40pm

JK2 wrote: sorry. I know that people here wouldn't mind if they supposedly did something wrong at work, were investigated and found to have shown errors of judgement. were demoted so that their salaries halved and then there was a decision by the police to investigate them (partly due to the fact that people who wouldn't contribute to the previous investigation suddenly decide they neeed to go to the media with further accusations).

and I am sure that people wouldn't mind if this was all covered in the media and that people who didn't know them made statements in internet forums accusing them of things for which they have not been found guilty.


Differrent and much higher standards required of an MP, just saying...
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 14/Feb/07 1:41pm

Different playing field for politicians though - it's unfair to compare being a politician to being a citizen in normal employment. Politicians have responsibilities and privilege that the common man does not enjoy, and so they need to be held to account publicly when there is an accusation of very serious abuses of privilege.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby JK2 on Wed 14/Feb/07 1:41pm

phunk wrote:
happybaboon wrote: ... Which is also the stuff that got him suspended from the Labour caucus and is about to get him kicked from the Labour party completely.


Actually, they are kicking him out not for any of that stuff, but because he announced he may stand as an independent which is against Labour party rules... or something.
I think it is in the pledge they sign when they run for the party (according to mike williams this morning)
JK2
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 14/Feb/07 1:43pm

phunk wrote:
happybaboon wrote: ... Which is also the stuff that got him suspended from the Labour caucus and is about to get him kicked from the Labour party completely.


Actually, they are kicking him out not for any of that stuff, but because he announced he may stand as an independent which is against Labour party rules... or something.

Oh, OK then.

Although I suppose he announced he would consider standing as an independent as a reaction all the other goings on (Thai tilers and bribery and stuff), and Labour are just using the opportunity to get rid of a bad egg.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby JK2 on Wed 14/Feb/07 1:44pm

happybaboon wrote: Different playing field for politicians though - it's unfair to compare being a politician to being a citizen in normal employment. Politicians have responsibilities and privilege that the common man does not enjoy, and so they need to be held to account publicly when there is an accusation of very serious abuses of privilege.
they don't have that many privileges as an MP
JK2
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Slim on Wed 14/Feb/07 1:44pm

JK2 wrote: sorry. I know that people here wouldn't mind if they supposedly did something wrong at work, were investigated and found to have shown errors of judgement. were demoted so that their salaries halved and then there was a decision by the police to investigate them (partly due to the fact that people who wouldn't contribute to the previous investigation suddenly decide they neeed to go to the media with further accusations).

and I am sure that people wouldn't mind if this was all covered in the media and that people who didn't know them made statements in internet forums accusing them of things for which they have not been found guilty.



WTF are you on??

He fucking works for us!! Therefore he is responsible to us......... :hmmm:
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby JK2 on Wed 14/Feb/07 1:47pm

Slim wrote:
JK2 wrote: sorry. I know that people here wouldn't mind if they supposedly did something wrong at work, were investigated and found to have shown errors of judgement. were demoted so that their salaries halved and then there was a decision by the police to investigate them (partly due to the fact that people who wouldn't contribute to the previous investigation suddenly decide they neeed to go to the media with further accusations).

and I am sure that people wouldn't mind if this was all covered in the media and that people who didn't know them made statements in internet forums accusing them of things for which they have not been found guilty.



WTF are you on??

He fucking works for us!! Therefore he is responsible to us......... :hmmm:
yes that's right. that means we need to show some reciprocal responsibility like keeping things like natural justice in mind.
JK2
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby dhroadie on Wed 14/Feb/07 2:29pm

JK2 wrote:
happybaboon wrote: Different playing field for politicians though - it's unfair to compare being a politician to being a citizen in normal employment. Politicians have responsibilities and privilege that the common man does not enjoy, and so they need to be held to account publicly when there is an accusation of very serious abuses of privilege.
they don't have that many privileges as an MP


total crap. from tvnz -

A Cabinet minister gets a salary of $150,000 and tax-free expenses of $12,000. Then there is the superannuation scheme in which for every dollar a Minister puts in, the taxpayer chips in two up to a maximum of $13,600.

Ministers also get a self drive car and the use of a VIP limo service. On average in the 12 months to June last year that cost about $77,000 for each Minister.

MPs who are not based in Wellington also get the use of a ministerial home. Letting agencies estimate that is worth about $32,000 a year.

Ministers, their spouses and occasionally their children, also get domestic flights at the taxpayers' expense. Much of the politicians' travel is for business.

On average last financial year that cost $44,000 each.

Throw in house and grounds maintenance, gym membership, phones and car rentals and all up the package for a minister is about $333,000 and a little less for Wellington-based Ministers at just over $300,000.

"not many perks" my hairy beef curtains.
dhroadie
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby JK2 on Wed 14/Feb/07 2:32pm

I said MPs not Ministers. Field lost his job as a minister after the ingram inquiry came out.

the salary is wrong though, ministers get over 200k I think
JK2
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Wed 14/Feb/07 3:47pm

dhroadie wrote:
JK2 wrote:
happybaboon wrote: Different playing field for politicians though - it's unfair to compare being a politician to being a citizen in normal employment. Politicians have responsibilities and privilege that the common man does not enjoy, and so they need to be held to account publicly when there is an accusation of very serious abuses of privilege.
they don't have that many privileges as an MP


total crap. from tvnz -

A Cabinet minister gets a salary of $150,000 and tax-free expenses of $12,000. Then there is the superannuation scheme in which for every dollar a Minister puts in, the taxpayer chips in two up to a maximum of $13,600.

Ministers also get a self drive car and the use of a VIP limo service. On average in the 12 months to June last year that cost about $77,000 for each Minister.

MPs who are not based in Wellington also get the use of a ministerial home. Letting agencies estimate that is worth about $32,000 a year.

Ministers, their spouses and occasionally their children, also get domestic flights at the taxpayers' expense. Much of the politicians' travel is for business.

On average last financial year that cost $44,000 each.

Throw in house and grounds maintenance, gym membership, phones and car rentals and all up the package for a minister is about $333,000 and a little less for Wellington-based Ministers at just over $300,000.

"not many perks" my hairy beef curtains.


Not to mention Parliamentary privilege which is a get out of jail free card for defamation, while being an extra judicial protection from defamation (privileges committee)... oh and the benefits of power which in Fields case include accepting Koha for doing the job your paid to. There's also his use of influence in Samoa (where he's a bigwig) to screw over the tiler who spoke up...

Given the public nature and responsibilities of the job and how they get the job in the first place, I can't think of a better court for MP's than the media. Like judges given their power as law makers MP's shouldn't just be law-abiding they should be seen to be law-abiding as well...

Even if Field isn't found charged or found guilty he should be gone and good riddance!
CrustyMTB
User avatar
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby JK2 on Wed 14/Feb/07 3:48pm

interesting take on what parliamentary privilege is about
JK2
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Wed 14/Feb/07 3:51pm

JK2 wrote: interesting take on what parliamentary privilege is about
No matter what it's about (which is several phd thesi in itself) it's still a perk of the job...
CrustyMTB
User avatar
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby JK2 on Wed 14/Feb/07 3:53pm

in the same way that being able to exceed the speed limit is a perk of the job if you are a cop.
JK2
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Crime | National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

55 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], noel_whiteside, oldandlazy and 50 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop