Swimming In Lake Pupuke

Postby VisitingRider on Mon 28/Nov/16 9:09pm

Yes, I know this is a paddling forum not a swimming forum. But, I am trying to find people who swim in lake Pupuke. The Pupuke Rotary Club tell me that Pupuke isn't used much for swimming, but surely there must be someone.

Does anyone know anything, or any forum I could post in? Facebook groups.
VisitingRider
Member for: 11 months 3 weeks

Re: Swimming In Lake Pupuke

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 29/Nov/16 8:56am

Does the combination of 'pu' and 'puke' imply anything?

Ignore me, I know nothing
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Tue 29/Nov/16 9:12am

There's a tri club that do open water training in Lake Pupuke during the spring/summer (http://www.thenetworkclub.co.nz/training.htm)

Boost coaching do open water training there too (https://www.boostcoaching.co.nz/open-wa ... -coaching/)

You could contact the Devonport Swim Club (http://www.devoswim.org.nz/about.htm) and see if they have any regular sessions.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby scatter on Tue 29/Nov/16 9:17am

swtchbckr wrote:Does the combination of 'pu' and 'puke' imply anything?

Ignore me, I know nothing

The name Pupuke comes from the Maori name of Pupukemoana meaning ‘over flowing lake’.
:)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby jo on Tue 29/Nov/16 10:00am

I've done a triathlon in that lake. And some scuba diving.
Its remarkably cold. The top layer can be clear, just if you stir up the bottom the viz can be baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby VisitingRider on Wed 30/Nov/16 12:33am

Thanks for the info. I'll contact the clubs mentioned. One of their training days might be an option depending on their rules - even if they don't do circuits.

At present, I'm swimming in water that's 9 degrees centigrade, and it will probably get to 7 before I leave the UK. Surely Pupuke will be much warmer than that. I remember being shocked at the warm water on Auckland West coast beaches during winter - 17C. I don't bother wearing a wetsuit for that. Visibility isn't so much of an issue for swimming as you can raise your eyes above the waterline to have a peek every few strokes.
VisitingRider

Postby jo on Wed 30/Nov/16 9:47am

:D Your benchmark is pretty low.

There used to a be an open water (sea) swim that left every saturday (or sunday, cant remember) morning ~9am from one of the beaches near Takapuna. I'm sure its still around. It used to be an all-comers kinda thing.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby VisitingRider on Wed 30/Nov/16 10:42am

If you think that my benchmark (I presume you mean temperature) is low, you should see what my friends who are signed up to this year's Chillswim event are doing. Deliberately swimming in shallow lakes when the temperature is down below 5, and no wetsuit!

Pupuke should be warmer.

BTW: I hope to do some ocean swimming 'between the flags'. But, I really want to swim in Pupuke too. If I had the time (I'm visiting Auckland primarily to visit family) I'd love to swim in Taupo, but all the way across is a bit far for me.
VisitingRider

Paddling - Latest Posts