Survey For Industrial Design University Project

Postby jonut on Fri 6/Apr/12 3:05pm

hi there Vorb users!

My name's Joseph and Im a student currently in my fourth (and final) year studying industrial design, For my final paper I am looking into designing some form of cooling device to be used while Mountain biking, If anyone could possibly spare a few minutes of your time to fill out this small survey it would be very very much appreciated.

http://www.surveytool.com/s/S31FDF274D

Any feedback will be also much appreciated :)

thanks guys!
joseph
jonut
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Re: Survey For Industrial Design University Project

Postby fatty on Sat 7/Apr/12 8:50pm

Be interested to see where your project leads, currently doing my 4th year major at Massey's industrial school. Flick me a pm or email if you need critiques/feedback etc.

You on coroflot? http://www.coroflot.com/public/individu ... _id=387359

Evan
fatty
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby R+P+K on Sun 8/Apr/12 3:15pm

jonut wrote:Any feedback will be also much appreciated :)

You might want to proof-read the survey for typos ;)
R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Nathan007 on Sun 8/Apr/12 3:21pm

yourslef
Nathan007
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Flyboy on Sun 8/Apr/12 7:03pm

done, but definitely do the proof-reading thing. looks bad on assignments & turns people off on CVs no end.
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby jonut on Wed 11/Apr/12 10:20pm

Cheers guys! this has been a great start I know my spelling is pretty miserable :P . . I probably should have paid more attention in English class.

For the project I have talked with my lecturer about possible ideas for some form of cooling. An early idea I had was a helmet with inbuilt cooling. This fairly new tech caught my eye a few weeks ago

http://www.dailytech.com/Engineers+Deve ... e11158.htm

What do you guys think?
jonut

R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 11/Apr/12 11:36pm

Could be nice for climbing hills where there isn't wind available. Or in shoes. Or saddle. :crazy:
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 12/Apr/12 12:06am

how would the fan be powered without a weight/cost penalty or manage corrosive, dirt and moisture issues?

if you're fixed on the cooling device this material or alot of fabrics are well researched in this area ?
http://www.nanotechnologies.qc.ca/blog/ ... ve-polymer
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 12/Apr/12 12:25am

Where cooling is probably an issue is fullface helmets. It ends up being a deterrent to wear a fully due to overheating.
DH runs are short n sweet, but super D isn't. I'm sure a key reason people don't wear FF is the weight and heat (apart from style).

XC/ road is fixated by weight.

Check out OBO's perforated helmets http://www.obo.co.nz - may give you some ideas and I'm sure you'll likey the website too :thumbsup:
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby gristle on Thu 12/Apr/12 12:37am

4th and final year - so you are not at Vic. What design school are you studying at?

I think Cruiser had some good points. There has been alot of development in materials that may allow you to design a passive solution, instead of something that requires power/active. If it was an active system, maybe there is a way to store energy generated during the quicker/downhill parts of the ride that can power it when you are sweating it out on the uphills. No batteries = less user investment and less chance that the system will be a pain in the arse. Good luck!
gristle
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby jonut on Fri 13/Apr/12 6:45pm

Im liking the fan shoved in the helmet vent haha! im still very open with the solution at this point as i don't need to settle on a design until later on in the semester.

Gristle i do believe a passive solution would be a good way to go, I do have doubts about the added weight and the limited amount of time a battery would allow for. Most electronics are fairly efficient these days, so I guess as long as the current draw on the battery was low it could still be a possibility, i would have to sort out those issues further down the track if i end up going that way :P (small batteries would be a must! maybe Li-po or li-ion)

I should have mentioned more about my self earlier on in the piece haha, Im actually up at the Massey Albany campus In Auckland.
jonut

Postby jonut on Fri 13/Apr/12 6:50pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Could be nice for climbing hills where there isn't wind available. Or in shoes. Or saddle. :crazy:

Crotch cooling, All joking aside that could actually be a possibility haha, Ive been looking into "pulse points" which are areas on the body where artery's pass blood close too the surface. One of these points is at the top of the groin. .

http://sashiimii.files.wordpress.com/20 ... ites_1.jpg

These could be very effective in a passive cooling solution
jonut

Postby TukitukiFREERIDER on Fri 13/Apr/12 11:32pm

Did your survey. Good luck with it ! I'm also at Massey In Welly 4th and final year of ID with Evan who commented earlier.
We have both been involved with bicycles mountainbiking etc for years as well as studying ID so feel free to msg either of us for crit or anything.
Cheers Kieran
TukitukiFREERIDER
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby jonut on Tue 17/Apr/12 7:45pm

TukitukiFREERIDER wrote:Did your survey. Good luck with it ! I'm also at Massey In Welly 4th and final year of ID with Evan who commented earlier.
We have both been involved with bicycles mountainbiking etc for years as well as studying ID so feel free to msg either of us for crit or anything.
Cheers Kieran

Hey thanks guys, Good luck for your assignments too! I'll be in contact with both of you if need's be, Feel free to do the same!

On a side note, would any people be available for an interview in the Auckland area? ( on the north shore would be even better :P)
jonut

Auckland MTB Club | Clubs | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts