Re: Surly Straggler: Anyone Got One?

Postby foremannz on Sun 12th Jan 1:01pm

LOL, not a problem! They also do the black frame with reflective labels, but I'm going for more of a relaxed training bike. Also looking at getting the Hope V Twin hydro kit so I can keep my 3x10 CX gearing but get hydro braking.
Hope V Twin Setup.jpg
foremannz
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Sun 12th Jan 1:40pm

I was in Chain Reaction on Riccarton Rd yesterday and they had two Surly Disc Truckers built up. One on 26 inch wheels one on 29's. Looked like a reasonable quality groupset. Out the door for $2249 (you would need your own pedals). Good buying I thought.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Danny B on Wed 15th Jan 11:18pm

A Disc Trucker is gonna make a great fully loaded tourer but is gonna be a pretty lifeless ride the rest of the time. The frameset is oversize tubing (super stiff), has very long chainstays and is HEAVY. It is in no way, shape or form a cyclocross bike or even a monstercross for that matter. Cyclocross - fast, snappy, fun to ride. Think road bike with bigger clearances.

If you a bigger rider just pony up for a stiffer (and more pricey) frameset - Reynolds 853 for instance - or go aluminium. With bigger tyres and a carbon fork its hardly gonna rattle your fillings out.
Danny B
Member for: 1 year 3 months

Postby ChumlyPogward on Thu 16th Jan 9:16am

I use my Disc Trucker for everything bar commuting and trail riding (although It will and has happily done both) and I find it pretty fun no matter what...but I am possibly coming from an unusual place where i think weight on a bike is a not a bad thing and you may as well work a bit harder, especially if you are old and fat like me.

Also without wishing to have my comment blown out to a shitfight of epic proportions, I must point out that steel is pretty much the same stiffness regardless of composition. Alloying can increase the tensile strength and/or the corrosion resistance, but the stiffness of a pricier frame will come down to better design and construction.
ChumlyPogward
Member for: 3 years 8 months

Postby foremannz on Thu 16th Jan 3:44pm

Yep, between the steel and ally bikes I've owned, ally bikes have often cracked, but steel seems to take all the knocks and shows no signs of giving in ...
foremannz
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby danose on Thu 16th Jan 4:12pm

foremannz wrote:Yep, between the steel and ally bikes I've owned, ally bikes have often cracked, but steel seems to take all the knocks and shows no signs of giving in ...

I dunno - seen plenty of steel bikes die too - my old jamis exile split a weld where the chainstay joined the BB, a workmate had a chainstay crack thru in the middle on his old Brian Philips 753 custom. Hell, I even just killed a roadrat (ok - it was by wrapping it around the front of a car who's driver decided 'stop' signs actually meant 'go')

as for the forward dropouts on the straggler and discs - no more of an issue than the track ends and disc setup on the roadrat, even running SS I had zero hassles getting discs and caliper aligned adequately
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Gax on Thu 16th Jan 5:31pm

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPOMPET/ ... rban_frame

Whhat about an On-One. Dirt cheap, fun as hell and last for ages. Did I mention they were cheap?
Gax
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Cycling | Cyclocross - Latest Posts