Re: Surly Karate Monkey Vs Soma Juice

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 6/Jul/12 11:52am

Love my Juice :thumbsup:
They are longer than you would expect, mine's an 18" (medium)
I'm running a slightly shorter than I normal stem would on my frame to notice any difference
Rides like a good steel frame should, Comfortable enough to be ridden all day, and light enough to be ridden xc as well. Never had the single speed set up slip on me.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby yak71 on Fri 6/Jul/12 11:58am

danose wrote:
yak71 wrote:I like my(wifes) surly, not too keen on the horizontal dropouts though.

I'll take horiz drops over eccentrics any day!!! Sure proper track ends are a bit of a pain when it comes to a flat tyre, but my experiences with eccentrics is they always creep/creak

best though are the old school forward dropouts on suse's casseroll - lovely to look at (in a retro kind of way), and dead easy when it comes to getting the rear wheel out

I love that style dropout.
The main issues i have with horizontal on the KM is wheel removal, re-installation.
I dread the day my wife gets a flat on the KM if I'm not there to assist. Bolt on wheel, needs the brake loosened to remove teh wheel(really should get some wavy rotor to work around this), moving the wheel forward to remove the chain & disconnecting the alfine cable. Fix the flat then put it all back together making sure the rotor is perfectly aligned. :crazy:
Actually writing it down perhaps I'm cruel for setting up a bike like that for her.
But, if not removing the wheel it works sweet as.
I reckon - without ever having tried one - the style setup on the mariarchi is the way to go - although horizontal & sliders mean you can mess with the wheelbase. And I understand Surly have fixed the need to remove the brake on the newer frames.
Arrgh. All too confusing.
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby danose on Fri 6/Jul/12 1:02pm

yak71 wrote:needs the brake loosened to remove teh wheel(really should get some wavy rotor to work around this)

had the same issue on the roadrat - discovered that if I dropped to a 140mm rotor on the back I no longer had to loosen the caliper to get the wheel out :thumbsup:

still a hassle - I can cope (when it's fine - when it's also freezing cold and raining not so well) - but worries about how suse would cope was one of the reasons she went with the salsa (ok, still bolt up but with stop screws and a surly Jethro Tule wrench that's not so bad - could actually change the hub to a qr axel and run qr too)

although horizontal & sliders mean you can mess with the wheelbase

I still remember all the Kona Units where the frame broke due to the poor design of where the sliding dropouts attached - no thanks!
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby WayneG on Fri 6/Jul/12 5:41pm

What I'm looking for is a frame for about the $1000 mark. That in the sort term I can run with normal gears (from my current bike) and than get a SS kit for it and use it as a SS once I get my fitness back and in the long term get rid of the normal gears and run an IGH (Alfine 11). I want to be able to use it as my only bike and do normal rides as well as Brevets on it. I want it to have two bottle mounts and I'm not a believer in the EBB. In my dream world if it could take a belt drive it would be great and would be great but I know belt drive has yet to take off, but it well!!

I see a time when everyone runs IGH's and Belt and only odd old schoolers run chains.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 6/Jul/12 6:02pm

WayneG wrote:What I'm looking for is a frame for about the $1000 mark. That in the sort term I can run with normal gears (from my current bike) and than get a SS kit for it and use it as a SS once I get my fitness back and in the long term get rid of the normal gears and run an IGH (Alfine 11). I want to be able to use it as my only bike and do normal rides as well as Brevets on it. I want it to have two bottle mounts and I'm not a believer in the EBB. In my dream world if it could take a belt drive it would be great and would be great but I know belt drive has yet to take off, but it well!!

I see a time when everyone runs IGH's and Belt and only odd old schoolers run chains.

You just ticked most of the boxes I was looking for with my Juice :thumbsup:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 6/Jul/12 8:48pm

Please note my post contains a vast amount of bias, based on the fact that I work for the NZ Soma agent

RRP $1050
2 bottle cages yes
current frames are using a sliding type drop-out (no longer a horizontal track end style)
Steel is Tange Prestige, a good quality cro-mo steel

Frame will do most of what the OP wants it to do (run gears, SS and an IGH) frame won't accept a belt drive with out "modifications", but then that is most of the current steel frames about, until you get into the more boutique offerings. (normally more than $1000)

That said, as others have pointed out there are a number of really nice 29er cr-mo frames out there at the moment, what ever you buy I'm sure you will enjoy
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby WayneG on Sat 7/Jul/12 8:18am

Thanks for that Pushbikerider, the only worry I had with the Juice was if the drop outs could take the Non-turn washers for the IGH, as all the photos I have seen of IGH's are in longer drop-outs.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby yak71 on Sat 7/Jul/12 8:29am

WayneG wrote:Thanks for that Pushbikerider, the only worry I had with the Juice was if the drop outs could take the Non-turn washers for the IGH, as all the photos I have seen of IGH's are in longer drop-outs.

It'll be sweet, as long as you get the correct washers. My Raleigh has verticle dropouts, and the non turn washers are super short for my Alfine.
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Singlespeed - Latest Posts