Suitable Gloves

Postby cb24nz on Mon 11/Jan/16 4:24pm

Hi,

I've recently gotten back into using my mountain bike again and took it for a test run after many years. Once I'd finished I noticed I had quite sore hands so looking at some suitable gloves to get.
Looking around some NZ and International websites there seem far too many too choose from, can anyone recommend some gloves suitable to road and mountain biking?

Cheers
cb24nz
Member for: 1 year 9 months

Re: Suitable Gloves

Postby znomit on Mon 11/Jan/16 4:46pm

For gloves its best to try them on so LBS is the best bet. Once you get a brand and size you're happy with you can order online.

Welcome to Vorb.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Kyle on Mon 11/Jan/16 4:59pm

Unless I'm replacing what I've already got with some exactly the same I'd always go for a troll round a couple of stores till I found something I like. Ideally bring bike too to know how they will really feel.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 11/Jan/16 5:12pm

znomit wrote:For gloves its best to try them on so LBS is the best bet. Once you get a brand and size you're happy with you can order online.

Welcome to Vorb.

Or you could even support the LBS heaven forbid :o
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby adikt on Mon 11/Jan/16 5:24pm

As above, also bear in mind sore hands can stem from holding on too tight.

Gloves won't help much if you're knuckles are going white the whole ride!
adikt
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 11/Jan/16 7:05pm

The velcro Giro uses for their gloves with straps is utter shite, and they come undone. Then you go to wipe your forehead and the strap goes directly into your eye. Then you take them off and set them on fire because no one should have to deal with that rubbish. All the stitching probably came undone on the first ride anyway so no big loss.

I was impressed enough with my Fox Ranger gloves that I've bought another pair. The old pair aren't even worn out yet, and they've had a lot of use.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Mon 11/Jan/16 7:58pm

Troy Lee XC gloves are totally awesome.
They're the first pair of full finger gloves I've had and I don't think I'd look elsewhere when it comes time to replace them. I use mine on both MTB and roadie.

Don't let the XC label put you off either, tonnes of DH riders wear them too.
Last edited by Conners on Tue 12/Jan/16 9:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 11/Jan/16 8:35pm

Agreed. Troy Lee gloves are good gloves.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 11/Jan/16 8:37pm

Oh, but in your case, it could also be a cause of unsuitable/not big enough grips... Bad bar position... Or you just need to give it some time to HTFU like what would happen with your buttocks.

If you're doing gentle sorts of riding full finger gloves are going to get a bit uncomfortable and be a bit unnecessary this time of year and half-finger gloves will offer decent fall protection while being a bit cooler. Some of the cheapie ones can be surprisingly comfortable.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 11/Jan/16 8:46pm

happybaboon wrote:Agreed. Troy Lee gloves are good gloves.

Thirded. They're great.

The XC and the ranger gloves are pretty similar - sturdy, simple, fairly light, solid strap. I prefer the fox purely because they're better for wiping sweat off your face.
AgrAde

Postby samk115 on Mon 11/Jan/16 8:58pm

I use some generic Specialized full fingered glove. The cuffs are tight/stretchy so no need for a strap plus they are nice and thin for a downhill style glove so you still get a decent "feel" of the grips and brake levers. They also have some sort of rubbery S pattern on the palms which grips suprisingly well on wet grips. Ive been using them riding loops (up and down)recently and have not found them to be too hot.

Ive no idea on a model name or anything though! :blush:
samk115
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 11/Jan/16 9:35pm

samk115 wrote:I use some generic Specialized full fingered glove. The cuffs are tight/stretchy so no need for a strap

If you don't sweat much they're fine, if you sweat a lot then strapless gloves can be terrifying.
AgrAde

Postby Wobbler on Mon 11/Jan/16 10:38pm

Troy Lee XC forever for me, I tried so many different brands before settling on them. I dont like change so I will probably only swap if for some reason they discontinued them/changed them
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby cb24nz on Mon 11/Jan/16 11:49pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, has helped narrow down the choices.
Off to see if I can find them now.

Cheers
cb24nz
Member for: 1 year 9 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 12/Jan/16 9:15am

Not Fox Reflex - the gel pads shifted and the finger tip wore off real quick.

Specialized BG Ridge gloves were good if you want a full mesh back. Might get ripped if your XC gets rowdy.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Cycling | Gloves | Protection - Latest Posts