Suggestions For Family And Rear-bike-rack Friendly Cars?

Postby siggy on Sun 11/Jul/10 11:01pm

Am trying to find a station wagon or large hatchback where a tow-bar mounted bike rack won't prevent the hatch from opening. This means the back of the car has to have a fairly gentle slope, rather than being vertical. The desire for room is to deal with two young kids and road trips :)

I'm not interested in roof-mounting the bikes so it seems that a normal stationwagon is out.

It seems that Mazda 626 / 6 Sportshatch cars would work well. In 2002 it seems they were redesigned and have a substantial boot-space. I'm looking more at the $10k or less mark, though, and these post 2002 Mazda 6 series are beautiful and deserve the high price they go for.

Some Toyota Corollas seem a little more sedan-like but I it seems like the boot space is significantly less than the Mazda 6's? Am I right?

E.g. 1996 model - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 596592.htm
(I can't seem to find any similar model from 2000; the hatchback door gets quite vertical)

What models of cars do people suggest? I couldn't quickly spot any similar sorts of cards outside of the Mazda/Toyota basket.
siggy
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Re: Suggestions For Family And Rear-bike-rack Friendly Cars?

Postby Dulouz on Mon 12/Jul/10 7:19am

The Holden HQ wagons have a wind down tailgate window for easy access without opening door.
Dulouz
Member for: 5 years 1 month

Postby Spokes on Mon 12/Jul/10 7:28am

Dulouz wrote:The Holden HQ wagons have a wind down tailgate window for easy access without opening door.

Its a shame such innovation was not carried on to newer models.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby dented on Mon 12/Jul/10 7:46am

Sorry cant help with the question, I have learned to live with having a Family stationwagon and towbar mounted bike rack though. At times its annoying I will grant you that.
dented
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby surfbum on Mon 12/Jul/10 8:03am

stageas have a window that opens seperate from the tailgate or all as one
surfbum
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Mon 12/Jul/10 8:17am

If all else fails and you can't find a car like you describe, ezi-grip do a rack that tilts...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Dulouz on Mon 12/Jul/10 8:51am

Spokes wrote:
Dulouz wrote:The Holden HQ wagons have a wind down tailgate window for easy access without opening door.

The Holden Adventra does have a lifting tailgate window, but they are not great cars.
Dulouz
Member for: 5 years 1 month

Postby Spyder on Mon 12/Jul/10 9:23am

Years ago I had a Corolla like the one you've linked to. With a bit of a lean on the bike rack, the hatch would clear the rack, but this would largely depend on where/how the towball is mounted. A good little car, but definitely a size down on a Mazda 6. The Telstars/626s from the same generation are allright and should clear bike racks in a similar manner.

As has allready been suggested, if you have a car you like, buy a tilting bike rack. $500 ish vs $$$$$$
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Ohskidths on Mon 12/Jul/10 9:57am

You could get a wagon with a removable towbar tongue, then the rack just comes off with the tongue. You might struggle to find a wagon the has a boot the will clear the bike rack. I used to have a fast back (funny sloping boot) corolla and even then the boot wouldn't open when the rack was on.
Ohskidths
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby phunk on Mon 12/Jul/10 10:16am

Nissan Wingroads/Avenir have a split rear boot.
phunk
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby siggy on Mon 12/Jul/10 10:40am

Spyder wrote:Years ago I had a Corolla like the one you've linked to. With a bit of a lean on the bike rack, the hatch would clear the rack, but this would largely depend on where/how the towball is mounted. A good little car, but definitely a size down on a Mazda 6. The Telstars/626s from the same generation are allright and should clear bike racks in a similar manner.

As has allready been suggested, if you have a car you like, buy a tilting bike rack. $500 ish vs $$$$$$

Do you mean a rack with a lean fixed in it, or one which you can collapse forward? If it one where you collapse it forward it makes it hard when the bikes are on :) Can you show me a pic? :)

Thanks to all the other feedback; it's good.

Does Honda do a sedan-like hatchback?
siggy

Postby Spyder on Mon 12/Jul/10 11:08am

siggy wrote:
Spyder wrote:Years ago I had a Corolla like the one you've linked to. With a bit of a lean on the bike rack, the hatch would clear the rack, but this would largely depend on where/how the towball is mounted. A good little car, but definitely a size down on a Mazda 6. The Telstars/626s from the same generation are allright and should clear bike racks in a similar manner.

Do you mean a rack with a lean fixed in it, or one which you can collapse forward? If it one where you collapse it forward it makes it hard when the bikes are on :) Can you show me a pic? :)

No I meant that you needed to pull the bikerack back slightly to clear the hatch. Not much, probably not even 1mm. Was one of those "Rakz" ones (like this one here http://www.vorb.org.nz/rakz-bike-rack-t10863.html).
Spyder

Postby siggy on Mon 12/Jul/10 11:30am

Spyder wrote:
siggy wrote:

No I meant that you needed to pull the bikerack back slightly to clear the hatch. Not much, probably not even 1mm. Was one of those "Rakz" ones (like this one here http://www.vorb.org.nz/rakz-bike-rack-t10863.html).

Thanks - do you know what sort of Carolla you had specifically? I haven't quite figured out how the naming/model numbers for them - it seems the same 'code' represents all sorts of different shapes and years.
siggy

Postby Spyder on Mon 12/Jul/10 2:19pm

It was one just like the white one you linked to in your first post, other than it was a GS and a 1600. Not sure what the code for it was, maybe AE101? Very similar other than colour to this one. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Toyota/Corolla/auction-302488318.htm
Spyder

Postby DogsBollocks on Mon 12/Jul/10 3:14pm

Dulouz wrote:
Spokes wrote:

The Holden Adventra does have a lifting tailgate window, but they are not great cars.

Hilux ? My tow ball mount is the "offset" one made for 4wd's with the spare on the back, but my Hilux doesn't have one so that, coupled with the electric rear window gives heaps of room loading/unloading with bikes on :)
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts