Re: Suggestions For Family And Rear-bike-rack Friendly Cars?

Postby siggy on Tue 13/Jul/10 8:15am

Thanks - I've checked and a 1996 Toyota Carolla GLX seems to give vertical clearance above the ball of the towbar, so now I just need to see whether I'm happy with that year or want something a bit more modern.

... decisions decisions... new car or leave some money for a bike later on? :P
siggy
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby mudguard on Wed 14/Jul/10 3:46pm

To be honest, I'd rather buy the car that I want, and have a tilting rack if required. I've got one. Works a treat, but I don't tilt it with bikes on, you can, but two or three bikes are quiet heavy...
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby sooby on Tue 27/Jul/10 9:46am

sorry for the late reply but thought of another option to add to the mix:

I've got a towbar that has a detachable tongue, perhaps that is an option?

Best thing with that is I can leave the bike rack on the towbar tongue & just remove this part, bike rack fully loaded with bikes and all. Highly recommend one, as a bonus when not in use the towbar tongue stores in your boot & prevents smashing your shins into it should you walk into it!

See the second diagram down on the right here: http://www.bestbars.co.nz/mainmenu10/pa ... wbars.html

Could be worth investigating if it means you can choose a car that fits you better, rather than being forced into a smaller one to suit towbar.
sooby
"sofa king retarded"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Datsane on Tue 27/Jul/10 11:36am

dented wrote:Sorry cant help with the question, I have learned to live with having a Family stationwagon and towbar mounted bike rack though. At times its annoying I will grant you that.

Same. Any thing that allows you to get in the back with a rack on is a POS car.
Even the cars with the spilt rear hatch wont open 95% of the time. The glass will either just catch the top of the rack or the handle bars of the first two bikes.
Removable tongue towbar would be a solution. Given you get enough length to move the rack back enough to open the tailgate without the whole lot landing on your toes.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby northernmonkey on Tue 27/Jul/10 1:27pm

Hilx Surf, has a role down rear window, get one with a rear mounted wheel and you can also use a wheel mounted bike rack that swings out of the way, Seat backs fold flat into the floor for amassive load space if required, cheap, deisels are cheap to run etc, pretty much the ideal motor for MTBing Family folk.... Only drawback is its a large vehicle if thats an issue...
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby danose on Tue 27/Jul/10 1:37pm

rather than looking for a wagon which clears the rack, have you thought about something like the thule euroway carriers, they mount on the towbar, and have a 'drop' system that leans the rack (and bikes) down to allow you to open the back?

of course you still have to grovel into the back of the wagon around the bikes, but that's going to be the case anyway

http://www.thule.com/en-GB/NZ/Products/ ... 21000.aspx
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts